Should this software retailer have done a better job?

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

Ryan Silva
tinnitus

Should this software retailer have done a better job?

Post by Ryan Silva » Thu Mar 29, 2012 12:42 pm

So I found out I had a mix session tonight where I needed some virtual electric pianos. I have been eying NI?s Scarbee pack which includes 3 of these packages. Individualy $79.00 each or all for $169.00, great deal! I want it!

The hang-up: I need one of them tonight and they only allow you to download them as individuals. If I want all three it must come as boxed item.

My solutions: I reschedule the session (not going to happen), buy them indvidually so I can download them now incresing the cost by $70. (Just can?t do that), or Pirate the whole package (if available), Buy Lounge Lizard which I don?t like as much.

What I suggjested to NI: Allow me to download one of them tonight while paying full price, then either send me the box and kill the auth code for the single I bought; or just sell me all three at the bunddle price, and allow me to download them.

Does it seem like they should have made this happen for me?
This how software companys drive people to pirate.
"Writing good songs is hard. recording is easy. "

MoreSpaceEcho

jhharvest
steve albini likes it

Post by jhharvest » Thu Mar 29, 2012 1:51 pm

Buy them and pirate them. Morally you are justified and no one loses.

But yes, I think companies should really consider how they can best sell their products on the internet instead of how they can prevent people from doing stuff.

brew
pushin' record

Post by brew » Thu Mar 29, 2012 2:33 pm

It's not necessarily easy for an online retailer to change their pricing for a single individual, because this stuff is all back-end database systems, programming, some guy in Romania, etc, who knows...

Look into their return policy and maybe you can get a refund and buy the kit later.

Ultimately, it's not their emergency that you don't have the tools to get something done in the next 6 hours, so I think punishing them or being unhappy with their service is unfair. That said, seems like they could easily offer the bundle online.

You could also go to a store and buy it.

rhythm ranch
mixes from purgatory

Post by rhythm ranch » Thu Mar 29, 2012 10:36 pm

brew wrote:Ultimately, it's not their emergency that you don't have the tools to get something done in the next 6 hours, so I think punishing them or being unhappy with their service is unfair.
2. Did you contact them directly to ask about it?

dubold
steve albini likes it

Post by dubold » Fri Mar 30, 2012 12:39 am

If you needed a real piano for the session, and couldn't get one delivered, would you steal one? (well, you and some friends and a truck) What about a guitar?

Nick Sevilla
on a wing and a prayer

Post by Nick Sevilla » Fri Mar 30, 2012 6:41 am

Ryan,

From where I sit:

Blaming a software company for your self perceived lack of preparation for a recording session?

Think on that.

Cheers, and have a great Easter Week!
Howling at the neighbors. Hoping they have more mic cables.

Gregg Juke
cryogenically thawing

Post by Gregg Juke » Fri Mar 30, 2012 7:05 am

Hey Ryan,

I can see it from both perspectives. Yes, it should be easier for you to do the right thing. No, you shouldn't steal it. But the piano/guitar analogy isn't quite accurate, because you're offering to pay, so it would be more like "unauthorized borrowing." Haven't we all done that at least _once_ from a friend or family member? But if you tried to "borrow" something at Walmart and got caught, that you were "definitely going to buy later," you'd still get arrested for shop-lifting...

I dunno. I know that one way or another, if you want it, and you get it, you should pay for it.

GJ

jhharvest
steve albini likes it

Post by jhharvest » Fri Mar 30, 2012 7:16 am

I don't think it's even parallel to "unauthorised borrowing". It's more like making a photocopy with your portable photocopier when the shop clerk isn't looking. No, actually it's like going to a stranger's house who offers that you can make photocopies of his copy for free.

It's illegal, sure, but it is not stealing.

Ryan Silva
tinnitus

Post by Ryan Silva » Fri Mar 30, 2012 7:20 am

Nick Sevilla wrote:Ryan,

From where I sit:

Blaming a software company for your self perceived lack of preparation for a recording session?

Think on that.

Cheers, and have a great Easter Week!
Look, I wasn't ripping them a new one or something, but after I got off the phone, it just didn't feel quite right. I felt like I was understanding to there situation and never demanded they do anything, just asked if they could please help. This is how customer service works, you explain your dilemma and they do what they can to help. If you feel that they could have done more, you ask your friends if you're nuts for being disappointed.

As far as the lack of prep goes, my client changed the song we were to mix last night, and then asked if we could find some elec piano options as they had not enjoyed the patch on the demos. I felt it my duty to try my best to make that happen, is that NI!s problem? No? But solveing problems with products is in fact what they do.

So here we are.

Thanks guys

MoreSpaceEcho

Nick Sevilla
on a wing and a prayer

Post by Nick Sevilla » Fri Mar 30, 2012 12:08 pm

On my end...

I have not used the NI stuff for years. Because to my ears it sounds too artificial.

As to an electric piano sounds, what else is out there?
Howling at the neighbors. Hoping they have more mic cables.

Ryan Silva
tinnitus

Post by Ryan Silva » Fri Mar 30, 2012 5:40 pm

Nick Sevilla wrote:On my end...

I have not used the NI stuff for years. Because to my ears it sounds too artificial.

As to an electric piano sounds, what else is out there?
Wow for a while NI's B4 and Pro53 (prophet) were the only emulations that I thought didn't sound artificial.

The Upright Piano is just fantastic.

I used an old version of Lounge Lizard for quite awhile which is ok, but the first time I tried to use it at 48 instead of 44.1 it pitched the whole instrument. Cant have that.

I really do like NI's setup.

MoreSpaceEcho

dubold
steve albini likes it

Post by dubold » Sat Mar 31, 2012 12:48 pm

Ryan Silva wrote:
Look, I wasn't ripping them a new one or something, but after I got off the phone, it just didn't feel quite right. I felt like I was understanding to there situation and never demanded they do anything, just asked if they could please help. This is how customer service works, you explain your dilemma and they do what they can to help. If you feel that they could have done more, you ask your friends if you're nuts for being disappointed.
oh, don't get me wrong; if I'd had that negative experience, I would think twice before I buy anything else from them.

And I'd try and find the CEO's email and let him know that hey, you want to buy all three plugins but couldn't do it without the box being shipped, and explain that you're a professional who was trying to solve a problem for a client, and wanted to go with NI. Tell 'em you were disappointed that they don't make it easier for people to give them money, etc.

I definitely don't think your complaint is unjustified.