Upgrading Digi 003 Rack...

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

jetaspirin
audio school graduate

Upgrading Digi 003 Rack...

Post by jetaspirin » Wed Apr 04, 2012 2:57 pm

Hello,

I was wondering what people would recommend for upgrading a Digi 003 Rack with ProTools LE, it's been a couple of years since I recorded a project and this had 8 channels, I'd like to get 8 more channels and maybe leverage what I have but I think I need to upgrade, Protools and I might be better off having something else...I'd hate to throw away what I've already paid for, but I can probably sell it on Craigslist and recoup some of the costs for the Digi...

I usually record at home and then take to a bigger studio which uses Protools HD to mix...so I'd like to stay in Protools

Any recommendations on a course of action is appreciated...

Thanks!

digitaldrummer
ghost haunting audio students

Post by digitaldrummer » Wed Apr 04, 2012 7:06 pm

why not add an 8 channel A/D converter on the ADAT connectors? I have an 002rack and thats what I did to get to 16 channels. If you still want more you can use the SPDIF connector for another pair.

Mike
Mike
www.studiodrumtracks.com -- Drum tracks starting at $50!
www.doubledogrecording.com

jetaspirin
audio school graduate

Post by jetaspirin » Wed Apr 04, 2012 9:14 pm

I was going to do that, but was wondering what units people would recommend that would be compatible with Digi 003 rack....and perhaps have a better clock which could work to override the Digi 003 clock.

The Scum
moves faders with mind

Post by The Scum » Thu Apr 05, 2012 12:55 pm

I'd second the recommendation for an external ADAT conversion box. Compatibility isn't a huge issue with ADAT interfacing...it either works or it doesn't.

I've used a MOTU 2408 mk2 in that capacity for years.

If you really want something with a superior clock, too, look at Lynx, Apogee or maybe an RME ADI-8.

If you need mic pres on the thing as well, Presonus and Focusrite both make several candidate devices.
"What fer?"
"Cat fur, to make kitten britches."

digitaldrummer

Post by digitaldrummer » Thu Apr 05, 2012 4:56 pm

I actually have an RME. it's the ADI-8AE I think. but since my 002R is BLA modded, I let it clock. Before I had that done I used to use the RME as the clock and it was an improvement over the stock clock in the 002R.

the only downside to the 002/003 and the ADAT is that it cannot do SMUX, so its limited to 44.1/48KHz sample rate. that's one thing that has me considering moving to an RME UFX or UA Apollo (if they get Windows drivers) some day.

Mike
Mike

Bro Shark
re-cappin' neve

Post by Bro Shark » Thu Apr 05, 2012 5:05 pm

I chose a Motu 8pre over other units for these reasons:
-Each channel has its own mic pre
-Each channel has its own 48v and -20db pad switches, located on the front panel
-price

It does the job fine.

jetaspirin
audio school graduate

Post by jetaspirin » Thu Apr 05, 2012 5:47 pm

Is it worth getting the Digi OO3R modded by BLA? Was thinking about that route too...I have some good external pre's...

Dakota
re-cappin' neve

Post by Dakota » Fri Apr 06, 2012 6:49 am

jetaspirin wrote:Is it worth getting the Digi OO3R modded by BLA?
Yes.

jetaspirin
audio school graduate

Post by jetaspirin » Fri Apr 06, 2012 10:36 am

BLA offers two separate upgrades for 003, which one, there's a Tweak Head and Signature Series, the Signature Series is about $500 more, is that worth it? Can any one give any testimony as to how this compares to Apogee stuff...or other converters?

jetaspirin
audio school graduate

Post by jetaspirin » Wed Apr 18, 2012 10:20 am

Anyone have any opinions on upgrading Digi 003 to a Black Lion Audio, either the Tweak Head Mod or the Signature Series?

Vs. getting some other DAW? If some other, recommend some?

I'm looking to upgrade my whole system, my options are:

1) Upgrade the 8 channels of Digi 003 to BLA and get 8 channels of something else

2) Upgrade Digi 003 to BLA and get another Digi 003/002 and upgrade that to BLA, hence 16-channels of BLA

3) Sell Digi 003 and get another DAW alltogether...

Someone on here must've gone through a similar thought process...

Spindrift
pushin' record

Post by Spindrift » Thu Apr 19, 2012 12:07 pm

jetaspirin wrote:Is it worth getting the Digi OO3R modded by BLA? Was thinking about that route too...I have some good external pre's...
This question became slightly more complicated recently. Avid has announced that it will no longer be supporting the 003 (or 002, mbox 2 and Command|8 ) when they release Pro Tools 11. No word on exactly when that will be, but presumably sometime within the next year and half.

So, if you're content to never upgrade beyond PT 10, then mod away. But, if you think you will want to upgrade - or might be required to due to OS/PT compatibility issues - consider how much you want to invest in a piece of hardware that could become a paperweight in the not too distant future. I'm not saying it wouldn't be worth it, I just thought it's important to take into consideration.

a.
"Bounce it around, lose a little quality. I can't hear that stuff anyway." - Tchad Blake

www.14blue.com

Bro Shark
re-cappin' neve

Post by Bro Shark » Thu Apr 19, 2012 12:52 pm

Spindrift wrote:Avid has announced that it will no longer be supporting the 003 (or 002, mbox 2 and Command|8 ) when they release Pro Tools 11.
Off topic, but.... that's so weird. And typical. Are they ditching firewire support perhaps? Good ole' Avid.

digitaldrummer

Post by digitaldrummer » Thu Apr 19, 2012 5:19 pm

interesting that after releasing software that supports "everything" (Pro Tools 9) they now won't support it? I wonder if that means it won't actually work? they did do that with the Mbox 1, but that was when it was tied to the software... it's hard to keep up with their release cycle though.
Mike

sdelsolray
pluggin' in mics

Post by sdelsolray » Fri Apr 20, 2012 7:13 pm

The Digi003 clock is fine. Try some null tests with it and any other clock of AD converter you choose. You'll find files null at least -60 to -70 dB below RMS levels and the only difference left are found in high frequencies.

If you want to add more channels, add an 8 channel un it with ADAT connectivity.

Dakota
re-cappin' neve

Post by Dakota » Mon Apr 23, 2012 12:10 pm

jetaspirin wrote:Anyone have any opinions on upgrading Digi 003 to a Black Lion Audio, either the Tweak Head Mod or the Signature Series?

Vs. getting some other DAW? If some other, recommend some?

I'm looking to upgrade my whole system, my options are:

1) Upgrade the 8 channels of Digi 003 to BLA and get 8 channels of something else

2) Upgrade Digi 003 to BLA and get another Digi 003/002 and upgrade that to BLA, hence 16-channels of BLA

3) Sell Digi 003 and get another DAW alltogether...

Someone on here must've gone through a similar thought process...
Had the BLA Tweak Head, and then the Sig from there. Tweak Head was obviously very improved over stock, and then Sig was an even bigger jump upward. Into territory where you don't have to think about the converters anymore, they aren't ever the bottleneck, I'm on an even playing field with tracks and sessions coming in from anywhere as far as A/D and D/A, which is all I wanted. So it's up to me to be awesome or not, not the converters.

As far as looking around currently, a BLA Sig 002/003 is still the best sounding thing in the +/- 2k range. Converter technology will keep getting better and cheaper, but the cost of good analog stages isn't going to change much. Who knows, though.

1) "something else": BLA mods the behringer ADA8000 and the alesis AI3, which make good sidecars for BLA 002/003. Or whatever has optical ADAT connectivity, many options. Apogee Ensemble has been a common pairing.

2) You can't run two 002/003's together.

3) There's always that. I still get more sessions coming through in PT than any other format, and as long as that holds, I'll deal with the annoyances of Avid & co. Like many others, I'll jump ship if advantage arises elsewhere.

As far as word of Avid eventually dropping 002/003 support - not surprising they'd stop updated driver development and hardware support and such at some point. ASIO drivers are pretty much where they are going to be anyway.

But if they are going to drop firewire support? I don't know about that, but it seems insane. Research needed.