Cubase / Midi / Tempo question?

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

T-rex
resurrected

Cubase / Midi / Tempo question?

Post by T-rex » Wed Apr 04, 2012 4:43 pm

So, I almost never deal with midi in Cubase but this kind of has me stumped and I know it is totally something stupid.

When I change the tempo, the midi tracks tempo don't change. I have never had that happen before. I even opened an old session with midi in it and when I adjusted the tempo the midi sped up and slowed down just like normal. I compared the two sessions and I didn't see any differences in settings but of course there is a lot to go through. I know with audio tracks, you can toggle between the clock and the musical note on each track to determine whether the audio changes with the tempo, but on the midi tracks that option isn't there on each track.

Any help would be great! I am helping a friend do sound desing for a pinball machine he is making and its a ton of fun but almost all midi since we are going for a retro early 80's sound.

farview
tinnitus

Post by farview » Thu Apr 05, 2012 7:54 am

Just off the top of my head, do you have the midi track time based or musically based? (I don't do much midi either) With audio, you have to have the button on the channel lane set to the musical note instead of the clock. Then it should work.

T-rex
resurrected

Post by T-rex » Thu Apr 05, 2012 8:05 am

Yeah, I thought that too, but I can't see the clock/musical note button on the track. Its there on my audio tracks but not on the midi ones.

The tempo track is set to fixed. I have been poking around the cubase forums (which are just godawful) but haven't found anything yet.

farview
tinnitus

Post by farview » Thu Apr 05, 2012 1:20 pm

Try setting the tempo to 'track'.

I'm just guessing at this point.

trevord
gettin' sounds

Post by trevord » Sat Apr 07, 2012 1:23 pm

set the track view to list
now you can see tempo commands embedded in the midi -
delete or set to bpm you want

T-rex
resurrected

Post by T-rex » Sat Apr 07, 2012 5:31 pm

Sweet, thank you! I thought those options were there for midi tracks, but now I can't see them. I will give that a try tonight.

joninc
dead but not forgotten

Post by joninc » Tue Apr 10, 2012 11:50 pm

trevord wrote:set the track view to list
what does this mean and how do you do it?
the new rules : there are no rules

T-rex
resurrected

Post by T-rex » Wed Apr 11, 2012 6:43 am

In case anyone else runs across this, I fixed it. I did not see the set the track view to list thing as suggested. But the first time I went into the tracks to customize what you see on each track, I didn't notice that there was a drop down at the top where you specify which track you want to customize; Midi, audio, fx, etc. The first time I went in, I was looking at an audio track and the timebase toggle (clock vs. musical note) was set to visible. So I couldn't figure out why I wasn't seeing it. But it was only set to visible for the audio track. So when I went back in and saw the drop down I selected midi track and sure enough the timebase toggle was set to not visible. I set it to visible, clicked it on all the tracks, changed the tempo and bam! Everything now changes with tempo changes.

Thanks again for every one who chimed in!