Spring Reverb Issue

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

Red Rockets Glare
tinnitus

Spring Reverb Issue

Post by Red Rockets Glare » Fri Apr 06, 2012 7:21 pm

You all probably already knew this, but you have to keep your spring reverb unit away from your speakers, I guess the magnetic field gets into the signal.

Can't believe I just learned about this. I have been bitching about how noisy my Furman spring reverb is for ages. Now that I moved her she is dead quiet.

I apologize Furry.

Brett Siler
moves faders with mind

Post by Brett Siler » Fri Apr 06, 2012 8:12 pm

I didn't know that. How close did you have the unit? My Tapco spring reverb is about 6 feet away from my monitors, but it is also pretty quiet.

Red Rockets Glare
tinnitus

Post by Red Rockets Glare » Fri Apr 06, 2012 8:34 pm

Embarrassingly it was right under the speaker in a rack.

Doh!
Brett Siler wrote:I didn't know that. How close did you have the unit? My Tapco spring reverb is about 6 feet away from my monitors, but it is also pretty quiet.

MisterMark
gettin' sounds

Post by MisterMark » Mon Apr 16, 2012 9:22 pm

Spring reverbs can pick up a lot more than just magnetic interference from your speakers. I have an Orban111b and it has to be in a closet in the hallway to keep it from picking up noise and other interference in my control room. The springs act like antennae for all sorts of EMI's.

-Mark
Placid Audio - Home of the Copperphone

"Turn it up till it squeals then back it down a hair"
"Take these pills and pull down your pants... um, I mean, here take these pills"

Red Rockets Glare
tinnitus

Post by Red Rockets Glare » Mon Apr 16, 2012 10:57 pm

Oh man really?! I will have to stash mine next time I am mad-dogging a client. Wouldn't want the bad vibes to get in the springs.
MisterMark wrote:Spring reverbs can pick up a lot more than just magnetic interference from your speakers. I have an Orban111b and it has to be in a closet in the hallway to keep it from picking up noise and other interference in my control room. The springs act like antennae for all sorts of EMI's.

-Mark

MisterMark
gettin' sounds

Post by MisterMark » Tue Apr 17, 2012 7:59 am

Red Rockets Glare wrote:Oh man really?! I will have to stash mine next time I am mad-dogging a client. Wouldn't want the bad vibes to get in the springs.
Good one ;)

-Mark
Placid Audio - Home of the Copperphone

"Turn it up till it squeals then back it down a hair"
"Take these pills and pull down your pants... um, I mean, here take these pills"

Jim Williams
tinnitus

Post by Jim Williams » Tue Apr 17, 2012 8:39 am

The old Powerhouse studios in LA had one. It would pick up the front door closing! I ended up setting it on a 4" thick piece of foam to stop that.

Also, rotate it out of a rack to find 'mecca' just like you do with a Stratocaster. Hum fields tend to be directional. Same applies to the internal power transformer.
Jim Williams
Audio Upgrades

Seditionary
audio school graduate

Post by Seditionary » Mon Apr 23, 2012 10:06 am

also -- keep it away from any circuit boards ! i found this old yamaha mixer (which sounds awesomee)... but it was terribly noisy. had to solder balanced lines onto it, which helped a bit... but the reverb was really noisy.

i opened up the unit and noticed that the further away i placed the reverb unit, the quieter it was. so i took some metal and separated it further from the main board and screwed it in.

now the reverb is much quieter (less interference... plus i put a 3 spring reverb in... for some extra depth).

hope this is helpful to somewhere out there in spring reverb electronics land. :jazzman: