need a separate headphone amp to drive hi-imp phones?

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

percussion boy
carpal tunnel

need a separate headphone amp to drive hi-imp phones?

Post by percussion boy » Thu Apr 19, 2012 10:10 pm

Hi -- been trying to budget some home studio improvements.

Mike Senior's mix book recommends having a good pair of headphones as a secondary way to monitor, for those of us who can't shell out for good nearfields and room treatment yet.

I've read several places that some of the more popular phones (Sennheiser hd650, Beyer 880dt pro) generally need a separate headphone amp to drive them. The Beyer has a listed impedance of 250 ohms, I think the Sennheiser's around 300 ohms.

I'm not sure my Echo interface can drive these direct, and Echo tech support just says, "Sure it can, since the higher impedance is easier to drive" -- which basically contradicts everything else I've read about what these pro phones need.

Anyone dealt with this issue? If you use a headphone amp, what do you use?
"The world don't need no more songs." - Bob Dylan

"Why does the Creator send me such knuckleheads?" - Sun Ra

jhharvest
steve albini likes it

Post by jhharvest » Fri Apr 20, 2012 4:40 am

My cheapo Presonus interface at home drive my Beyer DT880 Pro just fine. I'd say buy the headphones you are going to. If you aren't pleased with the volume / quality with your Echo interface, then consider a headphone amp.

What really matters is the sensitivity of the cans rather than the impedance per se.

Gregg Juke
cryogenically thawing

Post by Gregg Juke » Fri Apr 20, 2012 6:45 am

Maybe try Sony MD7506's?

No problems with them whether listening through the MOTU unit directly, the Central Station, or an additional stereo amp or headphone amp.

As to headphone amps, we actually use the Central Station, a couple of stereo amps and an old Rane rackmount headphone amp in the control room. For monitoring in the studio (tracking), we have a few of those Rolls units (about $60 or less?).

The Rolls are pretty decent and have plenty of output, and even a nice old stereo amp (Onkyo, JVC, whatever) could help you get more of a "real world" picture of your mixes, so you don't necessarily have to spend a huge amount of cake.

GJ

percussion boy
carpal tunnel

Post by percussion boy » Fri Apr 20, 2012 11:07 am

Thanks folks!

Yeah, I went ahead and ordered the Beyers, figure I'll see how they do with the Echo Audiofire.

Gregg -- Is the rolls you're talking about the HA43 Pro? Small simple unit, 1 headphone in and 4 out? I was thinking I might go that way if I need an amp.

thanks again, real helpful responses . . .

Gregg Juke
cryogenically thawing

Post by Gregg Juke » Fri Apr 20, 2012 3:53 pm

Hey pb,

We have two different Rolls units. I'm not sure of the model numbers, but they are both 1 in/4 out (maybe the larger one has 5 or 6? I know one channel is bad)... One is a bit larger (about 1/2 rack size?), and has rotary knobs, the other is the little "stage" type unit with four mini sliders. I don't like that as much as the larger one; the volume sliders are very hair-trigger.

We also have a JamHub, but I don't think that would suit your needs and it's cool and everything, but frankly, a bit over-priced.

GJ

percussion boy
carpal tunnel

Post by percussion boy » Sat Apr 21, 2012 10:31 pm

Thanks Gregg.

The one I was looking at has the little sliders, good to know they're fussy.

jgimbel
carpal tunnel

Post by jgimbel » Sun Apr 22, 2012 7:30 pm

percussion boy wrote:Thanks Gregg.

The one I was looking at has the little sliders, good to know they're fussy.
I use that very one (I assume, it's a Rolls with the four little sliders with 1/4" in/out). Never had an issue with it, and I was surprised to see the sliders being described as hair-trigger. They seem very appropriate, moving the slider a tiny bit brings the volume up a tiny bit. Maybe it's a difference in gain staging or something, but it's been a great little box that I've thought about upgrading from a number of times until realizing I have no problem with it unless I just wanted more channels.
My first new personal album in four years - pay what you want - http://jessegimbel.bandcamp.com

Gregg Juke
cryogenically thawing

Post by Gregg Juke » Sun Apr 22, 2012 8:05 pm

Well, maybe I got the lemon, J. But, hair-trigger it is. Output volume is not a problem though; plenty of that!

I can't complain much, really, for what it cost and what it does. Rolls makes decent product. I'm just saying, out of the two different kinds that I have, I like the rotary model better!

GJ

percussion boy
carpal tunnel

Post by percussion boy » Sun Apr 22, 2012 9:16 pm

Bottom line seems to be, I could get plenty of clean gain from the Rolls for like $50, rather than dicking around with audiophile baubles I don't want.

I'll see how the Beyers behave, should be here in a couple days.

Thanks again, this board rocks as usual.

Snarl 12/8
cryogenically thawing

Post by Snarl 12/8 » Mon Apr 23, 2012 1:21 am

If you're just checking mixes and not throwing them on the drummer's head for tracking, you really don't need (or probably want) a shitload of volume.
Carl Keil

Almost forgot: Please steal my drum tracks. and more.

percussion boy
carpal tunnel

Post by percussion boy » Wed Apr 25, 2012 11:48 pm

Update: Got the Beyers, they are loud enough with the sources I've tried so far--no need for additional amplification.

I don't need over-the-top volume anyway, as Mr. Snarl pointed out. Mostly I didn't want the phones to deliver a warped frequency response if they were starved for more current. From what other users have written, the response will shift some as the cans burn in, but they sound fine so far.

Thanks folks!