$1000 worth of basic native mixing plug-ins - your choice?

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

Marc Alan Goodman
george martin

Post by Marc Alan Goodman » Sat May 12, 2012 9:26 pm

Massey and SoundToys are the only ones I couldn't live without.

xpulsar
pushin' record

Post by xpulsar » Mon May 28, 2012 2:56 am

b3groover wrote:I've been playing with the Fab Filter stuff. Wow. The limiter is very good. It's hard to choose between that and the Voxengo Elephant.

The Pro C compressor is really great. A huge range of different tones available.

The Pro EQ is probably my favorite. Very easy to use and extremely powerful.
I use the fab filter stuff everyday ! The Pro L has allowed me to get loud mixes without any apparent artifacts. The Pro Q is the best EQ,hands down. The Pro G is the best gate , Period!
Saturn can do all kinds of crazy cool distortion .
Really , in my opinion, the fab filter bundle walks all over Waves Bundles in the same price range.

+ 1 for the Stillwell plugs also , and the Soundtoys plugs! I use the Decapitator to EQ sounds everyday!

-collin

fossiltooth
carpal tunnel

Post by fossiltooth » Mon May 28, 2012 6:10 am

Marc Alan Goodman wrote:Massey and SoundToys are the only ones I couldn't live without.
^^^

I also like the URS EQs if you don't have a console, and Altiverb is totally worth buying as well. If you're on Pro Tools, the EQIII is great whenever you need a corrective EQ more than a "color" EQ, and it's free.

I don't know of any native compressors that I'm in love with, but the URS comps are pretty decent, and so are many of the later Bomb Factory plugs (especially the Fairchild.) Waves' RComp is still handy after all of these years, not to mention the Massey CT4, but if anyone has additional recommendations on that front, I'm all ears.

SMACK and the PSP Vintage Warmer are useful and inexpensive, and I hear good things about the McDSP comps from talented people, although I have yet to try them myself. People who go the UA route seem to freak out about those plugs, so I wouldn't rule them out, even if it technically means going non-native.

ScottEvans
gimme a little kick & snare

Post by ScottEvans » Tue May 29, 2012 1:32 pm

I haven't used every plugin out there, but the UAD plugs are far and away my favorites. That's my desert island plugins. (I know it's not exactly "native.")

For under $1k you could do a UAD-2 Solo Flexi ($700), which includes their original 1176 and LA2A - both are great - and the Pultec, which some people like a lot. The $500 voucher + $100 could buy you Cambridge (I use it a lot for subtractive surgical EQ) and the SSL bundle (the channel strip gets you a nice EQ, a good compressor, and a great gate, and the bus compressor is good). Then there's $200 left... maybe Stillwell Vibe EQ ($39!), PSP Vintage Warmer 2 ($149). The VW2 makes a pretty good 2bus compressor so you could skip the SSL plug and buy something else instead.

You'd have to do some research to figure out the best card/plugs for you, but the UAD stuff is brilliant IMO. Sounds great, very reliable, and the ability to try plugs for 14, not to mention install new ones without an additional goofy install process (everyone seems to have their own) is really good.

You also see the cards+plugins show up used pretty often on Craigslist, if you want to trade time/effort for money.
scott evans :: tape op senior contributor :: antisleep audio :: kowloon walled city

Jeff White
ghost haunting audio students

Post by Jeff White » Tue May 29, 2012 3:04 pm

fossiltooth wrote: I don't know of any native compressors that I'm in love with, but the URS comps are pretty decent, and so are many of the later Bomb Factory plugs (especially the Fairchild.) Waves' RComp is still handy after all of these years, not to mention the Massey CT4, but if anyone has additional recommendations on that front, I'm all ears.
I'm about to go on a native compressor hunt since I just upgraded my setup to a MBP and Lion. Have the Stillwell stuff; going to decide which I use most and purchase them. Used to use Vintage Warmer a whole bunch so I'll probably upgrade. I just picked up the $99 upgrade for all of the Nomad Factory stuff last December and I'm psyched about checking those out. My old setup (G5, OSX Tiger, Digital Performer) is still up and running, and my go-to comp was the Waves RenComp. I'd like to find something a bit more flavorful for ITB work. I do own a pair of dbx 163X comps, a modified 160X, and a 2-channel VP Dynamite, so I have OTB options and obviously track with compression. Just need to check out hat kicks ass ITB for bus compression, mixing, mastering.

With that said, how is the Waves version of the API 2500?

Jeff
I record, mix, and master in my Philly-based home studio, the Spacement. https://linktr.ee/ipressrecord

b3groover
deaf.

Post by b3groover » Wed May 30, 2012 6:36 pm

Again, I appreciate all the suggestions. As much as I'm tempted by the UAD stuff, I'm going to stay away. I don't like the idea of being locked into the format and my guess is that they will have to go native at some point. Modern computers are just getting too powerful to make external DSP worthwhile.

I had a month (minus about 12 days when I was out touring) to evaluate the Yamaha Vintage Collection. The compressors are nice, but not worth the bread, imo. I am leaning heavily towards the Fab Filter Pro Bundle. I switched out all the Yamaha/Steinberg compressors before they expired to the Fab Filter Pro C and the difference was immediately clear. The Pro C sounds amazing. The Pro L limiter is very impressive; huge gain increases without any artifacts. I still can't decide if it's worth grabbing the Voxengo Elephant as well.

I still need to try the Stillwell stuff.
www.organissimo.org
organissimo - Dedicated (new CD)
"This shitty room is making your next hit record, bitch!"

mrc
re-cappin' neve

Post by mrc » Mon Jun 04, 2012 6:38 pm

I understand your reluctance to go with UAD (I was there for years), but I bet you've never heard them. I've spent a lot on Waves and other Native plugs, and have a TC Powercore as well, but Uad is hands down the best sounding stuff out there. For Native, the main thing I'm interested in at the moment, are the Slate VCC and FG-X. The UAD stuff sounds exactly like the hardware they emulate. I'm running an AMD 980 Quad on an Asus Sabertooth 990FX mobo with 8 gigs of very fast ram, so power really isn't an issue, the sound of the plugs is everything. I've had 2xUAD1's for a few years, and just upgraded to a uad duo. I read people say that Native is the way to go, but not for me. Go listen to the trailers, they opened my eyes.

mjau
speech impediment

Post by mjau » Mon Jun 04, 2012 6:59 pm

Some of the UAD stuff is killer (Neve 33609 & 31102 in particular), but I've recently started using the Abbey Road plugins, and...wow...amazing. Best plugs I've ever used. The RS127 is soooo sweet on just about anything. And I'm demoing the Softube Tube Tech stuff and liking that a fair bit more than the UAD Pultec and LA-2A.
You'll need an ilok, though.

ScottEvans
gimme a little kick & snare

Post by ScottEvans » Mon Jun 04, 2012 7:45 pm

mrc wrote:I understand your reluctance to go with UAD (I was there for years), but I bet you've never heard them. I've spent a lot on Waves and other Native plugs, and have a TC Powercore as well, but Uad is hands down the best sounding stuff out there. For Native, the main thing I'm interested in at the moment, are the Slate VCC and FG-X. The UAD stuff sounds exactly like the hardware they emulate. I'm running an AMD 980 Quad on an Asus Sabertooth 990FX mobo with 8 gigs of very fast ram, so power really isn't an issue, the sound of the plugs is everything. I've had 2xUAD1's for a few years, and just upgraded to a uad duo. I read people say that Native is the way to go, but not for me. Go listen to the trailers, they opened my eyes.
I haven't used every native plug in the world (by far), but I feel similarly.
scott evans :: tape op senior contributor :: antisleep audio :: kowloon walled city

b3groover
deaf.

Post by b3groover » Wed Jun 06, 2012 12:05 pm

mrc wrote:I understand your reluctance to go with UAD (I was there for years), but I bet you've never heard them. I've spent a lot on Waves and other Native plugs, and have a TC Powercore as well, but Uad is hands down the best sounding stuff out there. For Native, the main thing I'm interested in at the moment, are the Slate VCC and FG-X. The UAD stuff sounds exactly like the hardware they emulate. I'm running an AMD 980 Quad on an Asus Sabertooth 990FX mobo with 8 gigs of very fast ram, so power really isn't an issue, the sound of the plugs is everything. I've had 2xUAD1's for a few years, and just upgraded to a uad duo. I read people say that Native is the way to go, but not for me. Go listen to the trailers, they opened my eyes.
I have friends with them and I have heard them. They sound great. But I think the gap has been closed in recent years in regards to Native plugs. I've never been too impressed with Waves stuff personally.

I'm going to start with the FabFilter Pro bundle and see if I need to add anything after that. The EQ alone is worth the price of admission, imo.
www.organissimo.org
organissimo - Dedicated (new CD)
"This shitty room is making your next hit record, bitch!"

Mixwell
pluggin' in mics

Post by Mixwell » Thu Jun 07, 2012 9:44 am

I would hand pick stuff, from a few different manufactures, because unless you have tried every plug in a bundle, its tough to say which will be wasted on your studio, or which ones will rule the world. Its good to get some variety going on too. It seems pretty easy to try stuff out and move accordingly, with all the great offerings out there today.

I have been using Waves C6 a bunch, MDW 3.0 EQ, [protools only] as well as Vallhallroom, and Kramer Tape. Also REALLY dig Waves H-Delay also. I've recently invested some dough in Utility Plugs, like IZOtope stuff, and Waves Dorrough and WLS metering. I am really happy with the DAW box these days, as a result of trying some different stuff out and picking the right choices.
Adam J. Brass
www.DSPdoctor.com
Pro Audio Dealer
adam@dspdoctor.com
(1) 866 988 9111

"Where High End is Still King"

toiletbag
audio school

Post by toiletbag » Thu Jul 05, 2012 2:26 am

+1 for Valhallaroom. That's a great, great verb for very little cash.

Same goes for the Abbey Road stuff, and Stillwell and Softube. I also like Fab Filter's Timeless for cooky delay sounds, if that's your bag.

But, when it comes down to it, the UAD slays just about everything else. I've had a UAD1 for 2 years now, and I'm looking to upgrade to a UAD2 Duo solely for the purpose of being able to use the EMT250. I use the Pultec, 1176 and EMT140 on pretty much every mix, and the Precision plugs kick ass.
Take the plunge and do it! You won't look back.

fossiltooth
carpal tunnel

Post by fossiltooth » Thu Jul 05, 2012 9:40 am

ipressrecord wrote:
fossiltooth wrote: I don't know of any native compressors that I'm in love with, but the URS comps are pretty decent, and so are many of the later Bomb Factory plugs (especially the Fairchild.) Waves' RComp is still handy after all of these years, not to mention the Massey CT4, but if anyone has additional recommendations on that front, I'm all ears.
I'm about to go on a native compressor hunt since I just upgraded my setup to a MBP and Lion. Have the Stillwell stuff; going to decide which I use most and purchase them. Used to use Vintage Warmer a whole bunch so I'll probably upgrade. I just picked up the $99 upgrade for all of the Nomad Factory stuff last December and I'm psyched about checking those out. My old setup (G5, OSX Tiger, Digital Performer) is still up and running, and my go-to comp was the Waves RenComp. I'd like to find something a bit more flavorful for ITB work. I do own a pair of dbx 163X comps, a modified 160X, and a 2-channel VP Dynamite, so I have OTB options and obviously track with compression. Just need to check out hat kicks ass ITB for bus compression, mixing, mastering.

With that said, how is the Waves version of the API 2500?

Jeff
I've been trying a bunch of native compressor plugins since this post. There's some very good stuff out there. PSP, Softube and a lot of others. I'll probably do a roundup article on some of my favorites soon, but I want to spend some more time with them first.

Recycled_Brains
resurrected

Post by Recycled_Brains » Thu Jul 19, 2012 11:42 am

Everything Massey makes. The CT4 comp is the only one I ever use (it's the only good comp plug I have, but I don't ever worry about getting others), the THC Fuzz plugin is SO f'ing rad for distorting bass DI tracks, or anything you want to blow up. The TD-5 is by far the best delay plug I've ever tried. Tapehead is cool in certain apps. De-esser is fantastic... can't say enough good things about his stuff.

URS A-Series EQ is great as well. Again, basically the only EQ plug I use. That and the Digirack III EQ get the job done.
Ryan Slowey
Albany, NY

http://maggotbrainny.bandcamp.com

vxboogie
pushin' record

Post by vxboogie » Thu Jul 19, 2012 12:06 pm

Recycled_Brains wrote:Everything Massey makes.
+100

and Stillwell's Rocket - the poor man's Distressor
Mark - Listen, turn knob, repeat as necessary...