$1000 worth of basic native mixing plug-ins - your choice?

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

Jeff White
ghost haunting audio students

Post by Jeff White » Thu Jul 19, 2012 1:18 pm

fossiltooth wrote:
I've been trying a bunch of native compressor plugins since this post. There's some very good stuff out there. PSP, Softube and a lot of others. I'll probably do a roundup article on some of my favorites soon, but I want to spend some more time with them first.
I was lucky enough to have some cash while Waves was running their June sales special. I picked up the JJP and CLA stuff (basically, Fairchild, Pultec, UA LA2A, LA3A, and 1176 emulations that totally rule). I also picked up Waves Tune for some auto-tune abilty, and upgraded my Waves Renaissance Maxx bundle and my PSP plug-ins (Lexicon delays, Vintage Warmer, Neon). The Waves stuff totally kicks ass and I'm really happy with spending basically $500 for everything, including the Ren Maxx upgrade. I feel like I'm all set.

Jeff
I record, mix, and master in my Philly-based home studio, the Spacement. https://linktr.ee/ipressrecord

T-rex
dead but not forgotten

Post by T-rex » Thu Jul 19, 2012 3:48 pm

Fab Filter EQ is killer! Totally amazing what you can do with that thing. I demo'd it a while back and was damn tempted to buy it .

Elephant is a phenomenal limiter, I have had it a few years and use it constantly.

The TG Limiter from Abbey Road is also amazing.

b3groover
deaf.

Post by b3groover » Fri Jul 27, 2012 10:58 pm

Yeah, I bought the FabFilter Pro Bundle. Love it. The EQ, compressor, and limiter are all amazing. The gate is very good, too. Well worth the money.
www.organissimo.org
organissimo - Dedicated (new CD)
"This shitty room is making your next hit record, bitch!"

Sean Sullivan
moves faders with mind

Post by Sean Sullivan » Sat Mar 23, 2013 10:50 am

I feel like i've tried just about everything that's out there natively, and the one's that I use the most are:

FabFilter Pro-Q: Great clean EQ that's I use for everything. It's great for surgically getting in there and eliminating resonances.

Sonnox Oxford Compressor: Pretty sold by software standards, but I find that if I need to compress something and not change the tone but just control the volume, it's usually perfect.

SoundToys EchoBoy: If you only can afford one effect, it should be this. The only delay you'll ever really need.

ValhallaDSP Reverbs: Cheap and flexible. They have a little color but usually I can dial in a room setting that pushes back close mic'd instruments and helps the instruments in a mix "sit" together.

Softube FET Compressor: I haven't had a chance to use the UAD 1176 Collection, but of all the native 1176-ish compressors this is my favorite. I love the side-chain filter and the blend knob. It's awesome.

SPL De-Esser: For quick de-essing, this works great. I usually manually edit "sss" sounds but if I'm in a rush this usually works great.
Still waiting for a Luna reunion

casey campbell
buyin' a studio

Post by casey campbell » Mon May 27, 2013 11:25 am

sonitus. cheap. very useable! they sound great. not a bad plugin in the whole pack.

http://www.store.cakewalk.com/b2cus/Pro ... SF3.31-10E

i promise, you wont be disappointed.

note: 32 bit windows...