Data stick to stereo player?

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Sun May 20, 2012 8:13 am

Not practical inna rental house, much less remote locations like, say, a vehicle.

Not understanding the anger at our Luddite ways; that said, instead of criticizing, mebbe one of you techno-fans can invent such a player, patent and market it and then have an actual reason to act all superior?

:twisted:
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

Snarl 12/8
cryogenically thawing

Post by Snarl 12/8 » Sun May 20, 2012 9:00 am

Scodiddly wrote:Run a fucking cable.
Only prob with that, and my transmitter idea, is that you'd have to hit play and then run real fast to where you want to listen. Then, if you wanted to hear a little passage over again real quick, you'd have a problem.
Carl Keil

Almost forgot: Please steal my drum tracks. and more.

jhharvest
steve albini likes it

Post by jhharvest » Sun May 20, 2012 9:08 am

vvv wrote:Not understanding the anger at our Luddite ways; that said, instead of criticizing, mebbe one of you techno-fans can invent such a player, patent and market it and then have an actual reason to act all superior?
Great idea, except you wouldn't actually buy it because
it cost too much / it doesn't have feature x / it has feature y / it's manufactured in the wrong country / someone says the converters aren't as good as in some other box.

Dunno, maybe I'm just cynical. Somehow it seems that you are asking for a portable device that doesn't have menus but knows anyway what you want it to do, and supports all your pre-existing gear.

A tablet PC has the versatility but versatility always comes at the cost of money and possibly superfluous features. There's a reason why portable devices generally don't have a USB slot - that would mean something sticking out of your portable device. Now if you were asking for portable audio players that have a memory card slot, things just got a lot easier.

In other words I think you don't want a solution, you just want to moan. It's just like the English with the weather and banks. The weather isn't going change if you complain about it. It's easily fixed: pack your bags and move out. But no, you don't want to move abroad because then you couldn't go to your favourite chippie and watch Coronation Street on the telly.

:wink:

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Sun May 20, 2012 9:19 am

First of all, I'm American, not English. Over here, for example, a "chippie" is also known as a "ho'", and "Coronation Street" sounds vaguely like a Cure song but prob'ly has sompin' to do with either London, or "the royals", both of what are not of particular interest.

That said, "portable audio players that have a memory card slot" would be just fine, altho, like I said, I love my Discman and the 3K or so CD's I have for it.

And if we just wanna "moan", it's apparent that you just wanna "piss".

About/on us. :twisted:
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

jhharvest
steve albini likes it

Post by jhharvest » Sun May 20, 2012 11:20 am

vvv wrote:Over here, for example, a "chippie" is also known as a "ho'"
What, really? :D Chippie = fish & chip shop. It's one of the things I do miss of old Blighty. Them and Londis.

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Sun May 20, 2012 1:19 pm

Gives the concept of "smells like a chippie" a whole new meaning, eh? :lol:

We call "chips", "fries" or "French fries", and ya might recall the bullshite controversy over "French fries" vs. "freedom fries" sometime back ...

(Me, I've never been the The Smoke but I am in daily correspondence with two on-line friends, one of whom I met up with on his vacation here in Chicago this past winter, and the other exchanges music tracks with me regularly, kinda a adjunct member of my local band - and the best musician of us, also.)
Last edited by vvv on Sun May 20, 2012 1:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

RickvH
alignin' 24-trk

Post by RickvH » Sun May 20, 2012 1:21 pm

I used to see lots of dirt-cheap USB drives that double as MP3 players. Typically just drag the music files onto them--no software required.
You'll obviously need to convert to MP3 first. You'll also need a suitable cable to go from the 3.5mm headphone jack to whatever you're plugging into.

Here's an example: http://www.cobyusa.com/?p=prod&prod_num ... at_id=1001
(apparently discontinued)
"It's just a prototype...unless it works."
Recent Projects

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Sun May 20, 2012 1:23 pm

Yeah, my kids have a similar one, and it even plays WAV files.

My bathroom stereo even (yep, gotta have tunes in the can) has a front mini-jack port for plugging such things in.

Pretty cool, but FWIW, CDR's are easier for me and yer not dealing with the crappy DAC.
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

Scodiddly
genitals didn't survive the freeze

Post by Scodiddly » Sun May 20, 2012 2:31 pm

How about using CDRW's, which you can erase and reuse?

Ah, you already mentioned that.

At work (pro sound company) we had a rental customer looking for just such a product - little box that takes a USB memory stick and plays back MP3 files. We're dealers for just about everybody, but couldn't find any such thing. Somebody does make a CD player with a USB slot, but they're not shipping for some stupid reason. So the only other option is just a computer of some sort.

How about a cheap/old laptop? Run Audacity or whatever to play back files. Put it on your network and you don't even have to do a USB transfer.

X-ian
alignin' 24-trk

Post by X-ian » Sun May 20, 2012 3:48 pm

I know it would need to browse folders and files. I don't think it would pick the song I want to hear off the drive by magic. Just think of all the programs and devices that have become obsolete. My I-phone will end up in the landfill along with my last four cell phones. It's obsolescence is built into its design. It tries to be everything. I wouldn't buy a pair of studio monitors with a screens on them so I can check Facebook. I also don't want a converter with crapy noisy preamps slapped on the front. I can buy my own crappy noisy preamps and upgrade over time without it screwing up the converters. An 1176 is still awsome. It is just a compressor. It does one thing. Home stereo components are the same. You don't need megga bass hip hop and classical settings on your turn table or cd player but every mp3 player has those settings and the good ones have bad reverbs and fake surround sound but they still sound like shit. Good stereo components are single function items Preamp, amp, turntable, cd player, eq. No one throws a Mcintosh amp in the landfill. There is a reason my boombox is in the garage not my living room. And what's with the kids today and their auto tune and looping and funny hair. Back in my day you actually needed to be able to play and sing. Please don't take anything I say too seriously. I need a nap now.
"It's better to regret something you have done than something you haven't done" - Gibby Hanes

;ivlunsdystf
ghost haunting audio students
Location: The Great Frontier of the Southern Anoka Sand Plain

Post by ;ivlunsdystf » Sun May 20, 2012 3:56 pm

chris harris wrote:.... and 2. irrational fear.
"irrational fear" or maybe just (like the OP is saying) that it is exceedingly annoying to have to drag everything into iTunes just to get it onto a phone . sure it is possible to jailbreak to get around this hurdle. etc. but [incorrect statements about aiff conversion aside] it is a pretty annoying extra series of steps

it seems like APPL enthusiasts always assume nonenthusiasts are "irrational" about disliking AAPL products. It seems like that is what you are doing. but in various instances the products are annoying. like in this instance for example

;ivlunsdystf
ghost haunting audio students
Location: The Great Frontier of the Southern Anoka Sand Plain

Post by ;ivlunsdystf » Sun May 20, 2012 3:58 pm

I have owned various sub-$100 retail music players that will play off a USB drive. but they don't always recognize files.

Right now the thing is the ROKU. it has a USB slot on the side. It generally recognizes most of the popular music formats, and plays them back. since our TEEVEE is audio plugged into our HI FI, this becomes the easy way to play back audio from a USB drive. EDIT: but you have to turn on the television to browze the files

chris harris
speech impediment

Post by chris harris » Sun May 20, 2012 4:28 pm

Hahahahaha!!!!!!

rhythm ranch
mixes from purgatory

Post by rhythm ranch » Sun May 20, 2012 5:36 pm

Jerry Pbury wrote:This used to be a great place with a lot of great people on here.
http://messageboard.tapeop.com/viewtopic.php?t=79345