Altec 'Green Face' users unite: Most/Least Favorite Model(s)

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

Darlington Pair
takin' a dinner break

Post by Darlington Pair » Mon Nov 19, 2012 7:27 am

I have a 1628 that I just finished modding last night and it sounds great.

I started with the beyond sanity mods and then departed a bit. There are a bunch of mics that I always end up summing to mono anyway so I separated all the channels from the mix buss, built a little summing board. The first 4 channels are just the 1488c's and mix pot (with the adjustable gain mod) summed to the output attenuator, then skipping the output amp straight to the stock output transformer. Then I have two pairs of 1588c's summed through two edcor 600:600 transformers. I cut all of the hissy op amps out of the signal path and I also added more filtering to the power supply.

I'm really happy with the results for electric guitar, bass, and drum room mics.

I'm Painting Again
zen recordist

Post by I'm Painting Again » Wed Nov 21, 2012 1:57 pm

the only one i have is the 1566a..love it with the beyer m160 for snare..adds a nice wooly big presence to most everything..such a cool amp

Angie
gettin' sounds

Post by Angie » Fri Nov 30, 2012 9:39 am

We have a whole rack of green; 1592's, 1566's and 1591a's. We love them all, but my absolute favorite is the 1591a. Vocals are great through it!

cgarges
zen recordist

Post by cgarges » Sat Dec 01, 2012 11:46 am

I have an 463C that I really, really love on certain things. There was a period where it went unused for a long time and I almost sold it, but I'm SO glad I didn't. When it occurs to me that it might be the solution for a certain sound, it almost always is.

I've had a few other later Altec pieces that were all cool and trashy-sounding (mic preamps and compressors), but I've sold them all to make way for more interesting and/or useful stuff.

Oh, I also really love the 633 "Salt Shaker" mic. That's green. I just got a pair of M11 "Coke Bottle" mics, too, but those aren't green.

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Sat Dec 01, 2012 2:11 pm

So I looked up the 436.

Check this out!

:shock:
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

FlowersForHuman
takin' a dinner break

Post by FlowersForHuman » Fri Dec 28, 2012 11:50 am

I have two 1589s with 1588b and c pre's. I keep them around just to fill one of my racks. If you want your stuff to sound lo-fi then this is the pre, but there are about a million ways to make something sound like crap without spending a few hundo. Mega noise, low output, extremely limited frequency response, but man do they look and feel cool!
OktavaMod Mics > Yamaha M1516 > BLA MOTU 24io > Cubase 5 > Modded Hafler DH200 > Axiom M3's

rhythm ranch
mixes from purgatory

Post by rhythm ranch » Fri Dec 28, 2012 12:27 pm

FlowersForHuman wrote:I have two 1589s with 1588b and c pre's. I keep them around just to fill one of my racks. If you want your stuff to sound lo-fi then this is the pre, but there are about a million ways to make something sound like crap without spending a few hundo. Mega noise, low output, extremely limited frequency response, but man do they look and feel cool!
I'd be happy to trade you a 2U rack panel for them! :D

Seriously, if you'd like to sell them let me know.