driving a spring reverb tank?buffer opamp?

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

dfuruta
re-cappin' neve

driving a spring reverb tank?buffer opamp?

Post by dfuruta » Mon May 28, 2012 7:54 pm

I am looking to build a little spring reverb unit to play with, and I've got a question about the driver circuit. I'm thinking of using an Accutronics type 9 (8 ohm input) for the tank. On their website, they have example schematics for the drive circuit. I'm wondering, instead of using transistors to provide enough current to drive the tank, is there a reason I couldn't just use a buffer opamp (LT1010, maybe)?

The Scum
moves faders with mind

Post by The Scum » Tue May 29, 2012 9:33 am

Electronically, if it'll fit the system (compatible power rails, bandwidth, etc), there's no reason not to. National used to make some little driver chips that were essentially a totem pole in a DIP.

Cost might be one factor to consider. A discrete totem pole is maybe $.25 of parts. The LT1010 is a $5 chip.

And if you're looking for easy, an Lm386 might be a good compromise - a single part that's got the buffer onboard.
"What fer?"
"Cat fur, to make kitten britches."

dfuruta
re-cappin' neve

Post by dfuruta » Tue May 29, 2012 10:32 am

Great, thanks! I suspected that, but I'm just getting serious about learning electronics, and wanted to make sure I wasn't overlooking something.

Since I'll just be making, at most, a few boxes, the cost isn't a huge factor. I think, in this case, the lm386 might have too much gain. Shouldn't be too hard to knock something together, anyway.

Tavvish
audio school graduate

Post by Tavvish » Tue May 29, 2012 5:29 pm

I was scrapping a mixer a little while ago and found a reverb tank inside, I'm definitely going to have some questions in the future when I have enough knowledge to make my own spring reverb unit!

toothpastefordinner
buyin' a studio

Post by toothpastefordinner » Thu Jun 14, 2012 11:14 am

While it won't have perfect fidelity, and isn't DIY, a trick you can use (which I have done before) is to set the reverb up on an aux out of a mixer & bring it back in thru a mic preamp.

dfuruta
re-cappin' neve

Post by dfuruta » Thu Jun 14, 2012 1:48 pm

Seems like it also might work for studio use to drive the reverb tank from a headphone amp.

After thinking about it, I'm going to take The Scum's suggestion and use an lm386 to drive the springs. It's as cheap as doing it with discrete parts, and I don't think the relatively high distortion will matter. Once I get something working in a week or two, I'll start a new thread with pictures & a how-to.

My plan is to build the whole thing into a huge (17"x5"x4"), impractical, 9v powered stompbox.

The Scum
moves faders with mind

Post by The Scum » Thu Jun 14, 2012 3:14 pm

Seems like it also might work for studio use to drive the reverb tank from a headphone amp.
Not a bad idea at all.

The totem-pole follower also shows up in a number of headphone amps (though it's not usually set up for the current-feedback trick that Accutronics recommended).
"What fer?"
"Cat fur, to make kitten britches."

dfuruta
re-cappin' neve

Post by dfuruta » Thu Jun 14, 2012 10:06 pm

The Scum wrote:(though it's not usually set up for the current-feedback trick that Accutronics recommended).
As long as one can eq the send to the reverb driver, that should be ok (?)