Otari MX5050 Playback Issue

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

vivalastblues
steve albini likes it

Otari MX5050 Playback Issue

Post by vivalastblues » Fri Jun 01, 2012 5:17 am

So I just picked up one of these, condition looks good. I tried it out and am able to get the tape to fast-forward and rewind, but not play. It starts, and then slows down very quickly and stops.

Through the headphones I hear signal for a bit but I'm guessing there is something wrong with a motor or belt somewhere? Looking through the manual I noticed that it said to use shims between the reels if they're metal, which they are, but I've never heard of this before. Would it affect the playback?

Anyone had this specific problem before? thanks.

edit: sorry I should clarify, this is the 8-track version
Last edited by vivalastblues on Fri Jun 01, 2012 7:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

MoreSpaceEcho
zen recordist

Post by MoreSpaceEcho » Fri Jun 01, 2012 6:24 am

have you tried just leaving the thing on for like a day? i'm serious.

vivalastblues
steve albini likes it

Post by vivalastblues » Fri Jun 01, 2012 7:28 am

Not yet, nope. As I said, just got it so haven't spent very long at all with it yet. I know what you mean though, my Tascam 38 has had things like this where playback won't work for a bit and then suddenly it will. I have a feeling there's something else there though.

here's a link to the manual by the way, if anyone else needs it or if someone wanting to help out wants to take a look:

http://www.mediafire.com/view/?k86hy81m2869u5y

A.David.MacKinnon
ears didn't survive the freeze

Post by A.David.MacKinnon » Fri Jun 01, 2012 8:28 am

The shims won't solve the problem you have. They're there to compensate for the difference in reel thicknesses between metal and plastic reels. Using metal reels without shims means the tape is slightly out of line with the tape path and will rub on the guides.
It sounds to me like you've got a bad Capstan motor, or bad tape.

Is the tape leaving tons of junk on the heads and tape path? If so it's bad and is probably the cause of your problem. It'll play alright when the heads and path are clean but after a little while the gunk builds up nad the tape slows to a stop. There's usually an accompanying mechanical screechy noise.

If that's not the problem then it's probably the motor.

vivalastblues
steve albini likes it

Post by vivalastblues » Fri Jun 01, 2012 9:30 am

thanks for that.

What would be a sign that would confirm that the motor is bad? It seems like the capstan's spinning at full speed and everything...

Anyway I'll check the tape tomorrow but I'm pretty sure it wasn't shedding. I'll try a different reel as well.

A.David.MacKinnon
ears didn't survive the freeze

Post by A.David.MacKinnon » Fri Jun 01, 2012 10:49 am

One other thing to look at - what voltage are you running (is Australia 220?)and is there any chance that the capstan is not getting the right voltage.
The reason I ask is because I have an old WEM Copicat that was wired for 110 but the capstan was still wired for 220. That meant that the capstan spun slower than it should have and would slow down and stop once there was any tension on it (ie as soon as tape was present). It's a total shot in the dark but who knows.
Either way it might be a good idea to track down a tech in your area. If you're running tape you'll need a tech at some point.

vivalastblues
steve albini likes it

Post by vivalastblues » Sat Jun 02, 2012 12:03 am

Fixed it :P

The pinch roller wasn't touching the tape so I gave it a little push and then it worked perfectly. I'd just replaced the roller (the old one was obliterated) so I must have just not put it back in place properly.

Now all I need is a couple of those switches that arm the tracks:

Anyone know what you call those? The first two are missing on my Otari.

vivalastblues
steve albini likes it

Post by vivalastblues » Sat Jun 09, 2012 9:14 pm

Bump because I still don't know what the hell those switches are called or where to get them. (read the above post)

thanks