Mic Splitter Project

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

bluesman
re-cappin' neve

Mic Splitter Project

Post by bluesman » Fri Jun 01, 2012 12:07 pm

Does anyone here have any experience using the Edcor 600/600 mic splitter transformer? I have recently purchased some Horizon MS-4, 4 channel mic splitters & am thinking about a possible transformer upgrade using the Edcor. I plan on doing live night club recording & splitting house mics to use my own preamps to the recorder. I know that the Jensen transformer is supposed to be the best....but using 20 channels of the Edcor @ $216.60 vs Jensen for $1240 would leave me with a little money left over for whiskey & wimmin.

Thanks
"The digital future sucks the boils off my white ass." McHugh

The Scum
moves faders with mind

Post by The Scum » Fri Jun 01, 2012 4:28 pm

I don't know those specific Edcors, but I've used their 600:600 output iron before. They're well made and affordable, but not exactly sexy.

My gut feeling is that Edcor would be on par with the original Horizon transformers. Not the upgrade the Jensen would be.
"What fer?"
"Cat fur, to make kitten britches."

scrotescape
audio school graduate

split

Post by scrotescape » Sun Jun 03, 2012 4:34 am

what are the house mics, and acoustics like--transformer might not be the weak link, put in 2 or 4 jensens for the most important feeds and the rest cheepies.
learn the privilege of eating feathers

kslight
mixes from purgatory

Post by kslight » Sun Jun 03, 2012 8:23 am

I don't exactly have a high-end setup for live recording but I have a "poor man's" mic splitter snake (no transformers, just hardwired splits) that I got from Audiopile, and in my rack I carry 4 channels of transformer isolated splits if I need it (haven't used it yet).

I personally tend to agree that the transformer used on the split is not going to be the weak point at most gigs, I'd try it with what you've got before you drop any money into it...

bluesman
re-cappin' neve

Re: split

Post by bluesman » Mon Jun 04, 2012 11:17 am

scrotescape wrote:what are the house mics, and acoustics like--transformer might not be the weak link, put in 2 or 4 jensens for the most important feeds and the rest cheepies.
The house mics will be replaced with my own microphones whenever I feel it necessary....and the acoustics will vary with every location.....acoustics only matter when I am using room mics....if the room is bad, I won't be using any room mics.

I would love to have all Jensen transformers if money permitted....and it may, in time. In the mean time, I was wondering if anyone has any experience with the Edcor transformers, which are affordable enough for the moment, but pointless if they are of marginal quality.

I have heard recordings that were made with my current setup....they sounded good. Since good is good, unless people start chiming in with glowing Edcor reports, I will probably continue with my Horizon splitters as is until I find the ultimate Jensen deal.
"The digital future sucks the boils off my white ass." McHugh