Racks?

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

Int'l Feel
gimme a little kick & snare

Racks?

Post by Int'l Feel » Mon Jun 04, 2012 8:00 am

I don't dabble in too much outboard gear, but by way of trade, I picked up a bellari rp 220 to mess around with, and will probably add other pieces in the near future. So I'm wondering what you good people are using for racks in the studio?

I'm looking for a single, 4-6 unit rack. The gator, skb, raxxes, etc. stuff looks either a) wayyy too expensive or b) poorly built. I've heard that Ikea is a pretty good source for the actual housing, but I wanted to put some feelers out.

Thanks in advance.

E-money
pushin' record

Post by E-money » Mon Jun 04, 2012 8:42 am

I'm a cheap bastard, so my uber-cheap rack solution is milk crates. You can "find" them behind strip malls and grocery stores. They are 19' wide, and I use sheet rock screws and screw them right into the plastic. If I'm using them for heavy equipment, I reinforce them with wood.
"Politics are like sports, where all the teams suck"

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Mon Jun 04, 2012 9:58 am

From March, it's changed a little, not much, but that's one of those open-rack things on top, a metal milk-crate onna bottom.
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

Int'l Feel

Post by Int'l Feel » Mon Jun 04, 2012 2:05 pm

The milk crate is a great idea. Hadn't thought of that. If the bellari wasn't missing the top cover (and if I didn't have cats), I'd consider going that route, but I need something that's enclosed to protect the bellari from all that hair...

jgimbel
carpal tunnel

Post by jgimbel » Mon Jun 04, 2012 11:30 pm

I'm cheap too, so I built a home-made rack (and made a very long-winded video about how I did it - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lgitVnqLvsc). Didn't cost much, just takes a lot more support to be stable than might be expected.
My first new personal album in four years - pay what you want - http://jessegimbel.bandcamp.com

telepathy
pushin' record

Post by telepathy » Tue Jun 05, 2012 12:22 pm

the Ikea RAST sidetable is 19" wide, only costs $15, and accomodates 6U rack rails.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/cjw333/29627416/
get up with it

Int'l Feel

Post by Int'l Feel » Tue Jun 05, 2012 1:58 pm

Hey jgimbel, that's a really informative video. Extremely helpful, thanks.

I did have my eye on the RAST and that's what I've been leaning towards. Only bummer is the $10 shipping. I'd go pick it up myself but no car. At the end of the day though, the whole shebang will still cost me under $50.

Bro Shark
re-cappin' neve

Post by Bro Shark » Tue Jun 05, 2012 2:03 pm

On-Stage RS7030 is another cheap-ish option that works surprisingly well.

http://www.amazon.com/On-Stage-Stands-R ... B000CD1R84

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Tue Jun 05, 2012 3:03 pm

Yep, that's what's in my pic, above! :wink:
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

blungo2
re-cappin' neve

Post by blungo2 » Wed Jun 06, 2012 5:39 am

nice racks.com has, well, nice racks.

shedshrine
deaf.

Post by shedshrine » Wed Jun 06, 2012 2:02 pm

I've got one of those OnStage RS7030 as well. Great for small rigs, easy access for changes, very portable. May not be protected enough for o.p.'s cat hair issues. ;) We've got three cats, and my racks have not experienced feline hair magnetics at work apparently. Regardless, I hit a local fabric shop for a yard or two of thick weave black fabric which I put over the rack during down time.

Front left is a short slant topped rack with more spaces in front, on wheels, heavy, but rolls, a radio shack find.

Got the tall swiveling rack at a music store closing sale,

kslight
mixes from purgatory

Post by kslight » Wed Jun 06, 2012 2:28 pm

If you are lazy you can just buy used racks on Craiglist..I picked up a 10U Gator (with wheels and dolly-carrying handle) for $25 and SKB 16U shock rack for $40... Not the most elegant solutions but the Gator at least has paid for itself in remote gigs I have done with it...however it is a flimsy piece of shit IMHO and I would not pay what they ask for it new.

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Wed Jun 06, 2012 9:38 pm

shedshrine wrote:. Regardless, I hit a local fabric shop for a yard or two of thick weave black fabric which I put over the rack during down time.
FWIW, somebody some years ago left a shipment of 4 sheer 4'x3' kitchen-type (bright green) window curtains on my doorstep.

By the time the package was opened, forgotten about and left laying around for months, I figured to use 'em. They make great dust covers for the rack and amps, are light, colorful and, of course, were free. :oops:
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

Int'l Feel

Post by Int'l Feel » Thu Jun 07, 2012 1:51 pm

I suppose a simple covering agent WOULD help ward off any potential feline threats. I will have to think on this...

I've been perusing craigslist also, but all the deals seem to be outside city limits, which means getting a zip car or something and thus making the deal less deal-y.

For now, I've got the bellari nestled under the mg-1 until I start expanding the outboard gear. I think I will be going with the OnStage stand though, unless something pops up on craigslist.

Thanks all for your feedback.

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Thu Jun 07, 2012 4:14 pm

FWIW, I saw some cool home-made racks outta "rast" and "lack" tables from Ikea.

See here, here, or google for more.
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.