P-Bass needs repair. Chicago suggestions?

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

caz
gettin' sounds

P-Bass needs repair. Chicago suggestions?

Post by caz » Sun Jun 24, 2012 7:06 am

dearest tapeop'ers,

my beloved mid-70s fender precision bass is not putting out nearly as much signal as she used to. a clue to the problem must be in the fact that the tone knob is somewhat acting as a volume. all very disturbing in the midst of a recording session.

do you have any highly recommended repairers of fine electronic instruments in the chicagoland area? any in or near oak park, il (first village west of the loop)?

many thank yous.

----------------------
http://casimercasimir.com
casimercasimir.com

matthewinphilly
alignin' 24-trk

Post by matthewinphilly » Sun Jun 24, 2012 8:21 am

I like Tim Schroeder at Schroeder Guitar Repair. http://www.schroederaudioinc.com/services/

He's done awesome work on both guitars and amps of mine, he isn't pushy, and he makes amps for Wilco.

He's in the West Loop area, kind of, so not Oak Park, but it's pretty easy to access and there's easy parking in a lot, etc.

CraigS63
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by CraigS63 » Sat Jun 30, 2012 6:20 am

Steve does great work at Music Solutions in Bolingbrook, I've had him debug and repair a couple of electronics-related guitar and bass problems lately. They are also really reasonable about setups (fret filing/truss rod adjustments). Worth the drive for you, if nothing is recommended closer.

mrpicholas
alignin' 24-trk

Post by mrpicholas » Sat Jun 30, 2012 8:10 am

Scott Bond at Fat Cat Guitars (used to be in Carpentersville, now in Elgin) has a great rep. Prices are reasonable and he does everything from simple set ups to custom builds.

0xeneye
pushin' record

Post by 0xeneye » Sat Jul 28, 2012 11:41 pm

Spray some Deoxit on your pots before committing to an electrician. This has nothing to do with the fact that the instrument is a PBass, its electronics.
0x