pin 3 continuity issue with jacks in tt patchbay. ugh

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

kakumei47
steve albini likes it

pin 3 continuity issue with jacks in tt patchbay. ugh

Post by kakumei47 » Thu Jun 28, 2012 10:41 am

So I have a patchbay issue I haven't come across. Sure someone else has but I couldn't think of specific enough search terms to come up with anything helpful.

I just wired up a new patchbay for the tie lines and preamp inputs at my new studio (I know lots of people don't like tt for this, but I have 52 tie lines from studio rooms and all outboard and console preamps there and didn't have the space for xlr).

Annoying thing is this:

The tt plug can push too far into the bay, so much that fully inserted, some times the jack goes past the ring on the tt plug and there is no continuity between pin 3 and anything. Obviously not good, and pulling each cable very slightly out is not a decent workaround either.

It's a 104 point ADC bay I think. In very new-looking condition. I bought it from another studio and cleaned and rewired.

Any idea what's happening? This doesn't happen with my console bays at all.

The Scum
moves faders with mind

Post by The Scum » Thu Jun 28, 2012 2:06 pm

Any chance for a closeup picture of this phenomenon?

Could it be that there's a missing piece off the front of the bay? A panel or fascia that keeps the jacks out a little farther?
"What fer?"
"Cat fur, to make kitten britches."

kakumei47
steve albini likes it

Post by kakumei47 » Sat Jun 30, 2012 3:53 pm

Figured out the problem.

I was using a bunch of planet waves tt jacks. They work fine on my mci bays, but the ring is sized a bit short and the divider part between that and the sleeve is too thick. Pin 3 wouldn't connect if it was pushed all the way in.

All my redco/mogami/other tt cables work fine.

So watch out with the PW cables! NOT ok on some patchbays. I'll post pics in a bit.

kakumei47
steve albini likes it

Post by kakumei47 » Sat Jun 30, 2012 3:57 pm

Figured out the problem.

I was using a bunch of planet waves tt jacks. They work fine on my mci bays, but the ring is sized a bit short and the divider part between that and the sleeve is too thick. Pin 3 wouldn't connect if it was pushed all the way in.

All my redco/mogami/other tt cables work fine.

So watch out with the PW cables! NOT ok on some patchbays. I'll post pics in a bit.