File Prep for Mastering...getting headroom

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

Jeff White
ghost haunting audio students

Post by Jeff White » Fri Jun 29, 2012 2:14 pm

fossiltooth wrote: No offense meant Jeff, but if an ME asked me to turn off my light bus compressor against my better judgement, I'd probably find another ME. That said, I understand that some people are unduly pummeling their mixes without even realizing it, but that's an entirely different scenario.
No offense taken! I'm not talking about light bus compression; I'm talking about folks who are recording and mixing at home and sending me stuff that is really squashed to shit. Or limited to a square wave. Light bus compression to achieve a little glue is fine, provided that all of the stuff that comes before it is done correctly.

With that said, I ask for no bus compression. If I have a client who brings up that he/she uses a bit for glue, fine. If they want to send me mixes with and without it to be safe, awesome. Dialog is key.

I'm not trying to be an elitist in any way, but in this day and age folks who are mixing professionally are at times getting tracks recorded at home that are slammed, and MEs are getting mixes that are slammed. I know that I am.

I'm buds with a few awesome engineers and MEs here in Philly and I swear that we geek out over this shit ALL THE TIME over beers. Our poor girlfriends.

Jeff
I record, mix, and master in my Philly-based home studio, the Spacement. https://linktr.ee/ipressrecord

Nick Sevilla
on a wing and a prayer

Post by Nick Sevilla » Fri Jun 29, 2012 3:07 pm

Just as a note,

I just mastered one album from an A Capella group from Kenya today.

I did have to ask for the mix engineer to send me one song without the limiter.

It looked funny, since all the peaks were at -2 dB exactly, except towards the end, where the limiter was bypassed? and the peaks went up to 0.0dBFS... "Good Times"...

The rest of the album was just fine.
Howling at the neighbors. Hoping they have more mic cables.