Endless Summer Analog Summing Kit

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

Spindrift
pushin' record

Endless Summer Analog Summing Kit

Post by Spindrift » Fri Jun 29, 2012 4:57 pm

Has anyone built one of these? How does it sound?

Thanks
Adam

http://www.diyrecordingequipment.com/st ... mming-kit/
"Bounce it around, lose a little quality. I can't hear that stuff anyway." - Tchad Blake

www.14blue.com

Randyman...
takin' a dinner break

Post by Randyman... » Fri Jun 29, 2012 6:58 pm

It's a simple passive/resistive summing network - so it won't have a ton of "sound" by itself. If anything, it will sound like whatever pre-amp you use for make-up gain, and whatever Line Outs you have feeding it (and how hard you drive those Line Outs).

I made something similar in a DB25 shell (the resistors fit inside the DB25!) with XLR Outs on a cable - but I haven't used it much for any real summing. I built two - one is 4x2 and I planned to use it to sum my 4 Stereo Drum Subgroups to a L/R Drum Mix into a Preamp and Compressor. The second one is 5x2 (4x2 from its DB25 for the rest of the mix plus a 5th stereo input on XLR to accept the Drum Submix from unit #1). It then runs through a "master" make-up gain stage and compressor as needed. I need to get that set back up and play with it some more!

Having one that is more easily patchable like the one you linked to does make a lot more sense (but adds cost - Mine were only $15/ea!).

Look into the Folcrum RMS216, too. Costs more than the DIY route, but is actually reasonable - and has L/C/R assignments for all 16 inputs!

:cool:
Randy V.
Audio-Dude / Musician / PC Guru / Crazy Guy

Spindrift
pushin' record

Post by Spindrift » Sat Jun 30, 2012 4:47 pm

Thanks for all the info!

Given that the Folcrum is the same basic concept (passive summing with your choice of preamp for makeup gain) would you expect it and the DIY to sound similarly transparent before hitting the pre?

Any thoughts on how something like these devices into a pair of Neves (for example) would sound compared to summing through Neve console or Neve summing amp?

Thanks again
a.
"Bounce it around, lose a little quality. I can't hear that stuff anyway." - Tchad Blake

www.14blue.com

kslight
mixes from purgatory

Post by kslight » Sun Jul 01, 2012 12:18 pm

Spindrift wrote:Thanks for all the info!

Given that the Folcrum is the same basic concept (passive summing with your choice of preamp for makeup gain) would you expect it and the DIY to sound similarly transparent before hitting the pre?

Any thoughts on how something like these devices into a pair of Neves (for example) would sound compared to summing through Neve console or Neve summing amp?

Thanks again
a.
I would expect it to sound the same (not at all), or like whatever makeup gain you plug it in to.

I would imagine that it would sound different than going through a console, the summing and the makeup gain designs would differ significantly from the passive summing box and whatever preamps were chosen.. But probably a bit more practical/affordable.