RE 20 Old vs. New

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

JAllen
audio school

RE 20 Old vs. New

Post by JAllen » Sat Jun 30, 2012 7:49 am

Hey everyone.. first time caller here, so please forgive and feel free to correct me if I'm writing this in the wrong forum, format, etc.

I'm thinking about buying an RE 20.. mainly for vocals. And I was wondering if anybody knew if there's a difference in the way the older (70s?) ones sound, and the ones they're making now.

I'll be upgrading from a MXL 2001.. a cheap mic that I've found can sound pretty good on my voice, but for me seems to have a small sweet spot and gets kind of harsh if your vocals hit a little to the side (I move around quite a but while I'm singing).

Anyway.. many thanks for any insights you can send my way,
J

hogfish
steve albini likes it

Post by hogfish » Sat Jun 30, 2012 10:05 am

I have found that is always better to get the new version of an old favorite. An old RE20 might sound a bit different, but not that much different. Not to mention a mic from the 70s is pushing 40 yrs old. So finding one that works the way it was designed
wont be the easiest of tasks. So i vote for getting a Brand spanking new one, or finding a good recent year model used for about 150 dollars less than retail.....

markjazzbassist
tinnitus

Post by markjazzbassist » Sat Jun 30, 2012 12:28 pm

i used to own a PL20 which is the 80's version of the RE20 and now own a 668 which is the father of the 667a which is the father of the RE-20. The only difference I can tell is just diaphragm wear and abuse, might have a little less high end and brilliance just due to use.

if you want vintage tone, get an old one. if you want new clean sound get a new one. pretty simple.

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Sat Jun 30, 2012 3:14 pm

I have a RE320 - the new version - and I like it.

I have a MD421n and a MD421 II; between them I prefer the older, but I certainly have no problem with the newer, which is brighter - it just sounds, eh, "newer". :twisted:
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

Nate Dort
tinnitus

Post by Nate Dort » Sat Jun 30, 2012 4:12 pm

Older RE20s are notorious for having deteriorating internal foam. I wouldn't buy an old one unless I knew it had been repaired within the last few years. Save yourself the trouble and get a new one.

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Sat Jun 30, 2012 7:51 pm

Also, FWIW, I keep reading of people hearing something loose inside the older ones - mebbe that's the foam?
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

EasyGo
buyin' a studio

Post by EasyGo » Sat Jun 30, 2012 9:03 pm

vvv wrote:I have a RE320 - the new version - and I like it.
+1

During a brief period of broadcast microphone insanity, I had an a recent RE20, a recent RE27 and a brand new RE-320 in my possession to compare. On my own voice (deep with nasal quality) I actually liked the RE27 best (sounded like God's own mic), the RE320 2nd best, and the RE20 3rd (although it still sounded fabulous). Knowing I could only afford to keep one (and that the resale value of the better known RE20 and RE27 would be higher) I kept the 320. I also like the option of the switchable kick microphone EQ curve.

As for old vs. new, there are some places online that will refurbish old RE20s, and I believe EV offers this service as well; (I read that in an article about the original RE20s from RCA Studio B in Nashville). Might be worth it if you come across a deal on a used one.

Nate Dort
tinnitus

Post by Nate Dort » Sun Jul 01, 2012 9:37 am

vvv wrote:Also, FWIW, I keep reading of people hearing something loose inside the older ones - mebbe that's the foam?
The entire capsule element is secured only by a foam surround. When that goes, it starts wobbling and hitting the inside of the body.

ott0bot
dead but not forgotten

Post by ott0bot » Sun Jul 01, 2012 9:50 am

I love me some re20 (used it on every recording i've done) but personally I don't think it excels as primary vocal mic. Great for back ups, and just about every instrument know to man....but when i've used it for lead vox....i paired it with an SDC (octava or josephson) to add a bit of crispness to the airy, round tone of the re20.

you may look at a beyerdynamic m88. That sucker kills on most sources and has a bit more forward tone to push vocals into the mix.

ohhh...and new re20 all the way....the foam issue is a pain to deal with.

b3groover
deaf.

Post by b3groover » Sun Jul 01, 2012 2:02 pm

I bought an RE20 off eBay years and years ago and could never use it because it had a weird grounding issue where it would make little pops now and again, totally randomly.

It also didn't sound as good as I knew it should. It was an older one, though.

About two years ago I sent it to Ben at www.micdaddy.com and they completely refurbished it. It sounds so good now. It's my go to lower Leslie mic. Killer.

Highly recommend those guys if you need to get your older RE20 back up to specs. They are much cheaper than sending it to E/V.
www.organissimo.org
organissimo - Dedicated (new CD)
"This shitty room is making your next hit record, bitch!"

Justin Foley
takin' a dinner break

Post by Justin Foley » Sun Jul 01, 2012 8:45 pm

ott0bot wrote:I love me some re20 (used it on every recording i've done) but personally I don't think it excels as primary vocal mic. Great for back ups, and just about every instrument know to man....but when i've used it for lead vox....i paired it with an SDC (octava or josephson) to add a bit of crispness to the airy, round tone of the re20.

you may look at a beyerdynamic m88. That sucker kills on most sources and has a bit more forward tone to push vocals into the mix.

ohhh...and new re20 all the way....the foam issue is a pain to deal with.
Agreed on the foam issue. It's a design problem that they should be shamed for ... except for the fact that it's a great sounding mic.

Totally, entirely disagree on the primary vocal mic. It is my favorite (for myself) and I've closely compared it for other stuff. To hear it up against an

Beyer m160 (bright ribbon)
Royer 121 (darker ribbon)
Beyer 201 (mid-y dynamic) (not a midi dynamic, because what would that sound like anyway)
AT 4033 (good value/budget LDC)

and beat them all, click here

Same singer, same distance, same room/placement, same preamp (though different mic resistance), same level. Tried to isolate the actual sound of the mic and found that this does a pretty good job. For shouty/sing-y vocals like these, the RE20 is a very good mic and beats more exotic and expensive competitors that are well suited to the same application.

It's also a really swell amplified bass mic.

= Justin

ott0bot
dead but not forgotten

Post by ott0bot » Mon Jul 02, 2012 7:16 am

^^

I agree, for the most part. The re20 can sound better than many other expensive mics and works especially well with singers who project their voice.

it works great as a whisper vox mic too...add a windscreen and get close....the reduced proximity effect keeps the low end under control and it's pretty low noise for a dynamic.

however...its a bit round and airy...not as much definition as some other mic that accentuate the highs but don't hype them. That's why I suggested the beyer m88....similar versitility...but not quite as round. A bit more high-mid definition.

Everyones voice is different, though...maybe re20 just fits yours. But...overall, among the many singers i've worked with...not usually the perfect fit. I always feel like I need something that captures the highs a bit more so there is less tweeking when it comes to the mix.

Jeff White
ghost haunting audio students

Post by Jeff White » Mon Jul 02, 2012 9:21 am

I own both an RE20 (new-ish) and an SM7b. I cannot stress how awesome both of these mics are and how much they get used around here. For drum kit, the SM7b has become my go-to floor tom mic for the past couple of years. The RE20 is my favorite kick drum mic right now. Both mics sound great on bass cabinet as well. Once I lined them up well and used both of them in a mix simultaneously, dripping the DI completely.

When it comes to vox, I always put up the SM7b to see what happens. Always. However I NEVER reach for the RE20 anymore for vocals. Maybe I should reconsider. I usually record vocals through a vintage Geffel UM70s, and SM7b, a 4047sv, or a 4050. The SM7b totally holds its own with the right singer. Just an FYI.

Jeff
I record, mix, and master in my Philly-based home studio, the Spacement. https://linktr.ee/ipressrecord

b3groover
deaf.

Post by b3groover » Mon Jul 02, 2012 11:00 am

The SM7b is next on my list. There's a cool kick drum mic shootout over at recordinghacks.com and listening blind I liked the SM7b, RE20, ATM250, and ATM25 best.
www.organissimo.org
organissimo - Dedicated (new CD)
"This shitty room is making your next hit record, bitch!"

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Mon Jul 02, 2012 11:54 am

ipressrecord wrote: ... dripping the DI completely.
Sounds like someone oughta see a doctor. :twisted:

Between the SM7b and the RE320, I prefer the MD421n on vox, but then the Shure.

Did I say that already?

The RE320 rules on bass amps, tho', and the SM7b sounds good on everything.
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.