amp iso cabinet + remote-controlled amp... ideas?

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

Seamonster
takin' a dinner break

amp iso cabinet + remote-controlled amp... ideas?

Post by Seamonster » Sat Jun 30, 2012 5:48 pm

As I?m nearing the end of my studio build/remodel project, I?d now like to focus more on ways of creatively using the iso cabinet I?ve built into a closet in an adjacent room. The cabinet-inside-the-closet is well isolated from both tracking and control rooms, yet nearby. My main expected use is to isolate a combo amp, for occasions when full isolation in tracking is desired.

I?m interested in any discussion on what the most appropriate little amp might be, remotely-controllable amps, mic?ing techniques, the mic itself, or whether I should line the cabinet with something like Roxul to knock down some of the interior reflections. Also, whether this little isolated space might be useful for some other creative purpose (e.g., Barbie-scale reverb tank, ha ha). I?ve got some ideas, and can experiment of course, but it would be nice to hear about others? experiences.

The cabinet interior is 23? by 26?, by 29? high. Its walls are comprised of three layers of 5/8? drywall with Green Glue between layers. I built it flush to the back and side walls of the closet it?s in (which itself has two layers of drywall), so as not to constitute a ?triple leaf? with respect to the control room on the other side of the wall (two layers of drywall/GG on that leaf). For those of you keeping score, that?s seven total layers of drywall between the box and the control room.

Ideal would be an amp whose settings can be controlled remotely from the control room. I haven?t done exhaustive research (yet), but so far it looks to me like the Fender Mustang III, with its Fuse software and USB connection, might be a reasonable call (I haven?t heard it). The Mustang III is open-back; the Mustang II is closed-back (and $100 cheaper). In general, I don't know whether an open or closed design of any make of amp would be preferable in such a tight space.

Or should I not expect to get very useable sounds out of such a little cabinet, and instead just stick my Pignose in there with a Bullet or a Placid mic (or whatever) for novelty tracks?

Any comments, practical or creative, would be welcome.

- K Hill
www.seamonstersounds.com
"May my silences become more accurate." -Theodore Roethke, poet

Nick Sevilla
on a wing and a prayer

Post by Nick Sevilla » Sat Jun 30, 2012 9:15 pm

The best "remote" controllable amps are not the combo ones, but the head and amp cabinet ones.
I like Mesa Boogie ones for this. They have tons of tone, and tons of options.

Cheers
Howling at the neighbors. Hoping they have more mic cables.

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Sat Jun 30, 2012 9:57 pm

The problem with ISO boxes, besides access, is heat, especially with tube amps (which most guitarists find more desirable, and often superior, compared to S/S.)

Consider keeping the head, or combo, in the player's reach, and just running an extension cab inside the iso box. You might have room for, say, both a 8" and a 12".

As far as mic's go, keeping in mind that you are not gonna get room sound, I'd still wire at least two, ex., a dynamic and a condensor, or mebbe a large dynamic and a small, etc. That gives you two separate choice, plus whatever you can get by combining them to various degrees.

Before I lived in a house, I used a Anvil Case (2.5' x 2.5' x1.5') under blankets. I just punched a hole for mic cords. I found the sound to be a little odd, espesially as there was no ambiance; I had to add that in mixing.

EQ could be weird, also, mebbe due to the reflections, comb-filtering, etc.; inside absorption with a towel helped.

The ISO box was good to get power-tube crunch, but by it's nature would not get feedback (I would hang headphones on the guitar or use a E-bow, until I got a Sustainor.) FWIW, at that time I had two Silver Jubilees (one was a back-up for gigging) and I used one in the box just as a extension cab.

But if you have the head or combo in the control room, you can conveniently enable a speaker right there for feedback parts.
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

Seamonster
takin' a dinner break

Post by Seamonster » Sun Jul 01, 2012 12:50 am

Oh right [slaps forehead] ? keep a head in the control room. I was temporarily dazzled by the notion that there are now computer-controllable amps out there. Good save, Nick.

Sure, the whole notion of virtual inline pedal FX is still kinda sexy to me, but I imagine that once I listen to the latest modeling stuff I'll still prefer something in good ol' analog. I've had a few Boogies come through here with clients; I agree they're worthy.

The rest of my ponderings still apply: creative ideas for the iso cabinet; open- vs. closed-back in a tight space, etc.

- K
www.seamonstersounds.com

Seamonster
takin' a dinner break

Post by Seamonster » Sun Jul 01, 2012 1:03 am

Oh, you too, vvv, thanks.

Whatever I do with the box, I'm sure I'll have to experiment with absorption.

If ever room-tone is critical, I can always use the tracking room, live-with-bleed or overdubbed. But I figure the box will be good enough for some cases, together with a DI track. It might end up seeing some use in reamping too.

- K Hill
www.seamonstersounds.com