Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

CraigS63
suffering 'studio suck'

Meeblip - synth kit

Post by CraigS63 » Sat Jun 30, 2012 8:20 pm

Anyone have one of these yet?

http://meeblip.com/

MeeBlip is a hackable, affordable digital synthesizer, made for accessible sound and hands-on control. It can be someone?s first synth. It can be a unique-sounding addition to your music setup, playable with MIDI hardware and software. It can be a synth you open up and modify, learning about sound creation, code, and electronics. Or it can be the basis of new projects and ideas.[/url]

EasyGo
buyin' a studio

Post by EasyGo » Sat Jun 30, 2012 9:41 pm

No but it looks cool. If you can make kicks and snares with that, I'd probably get it.

trevord
gettin' sounds

Post by trevord » Sun Jul 01, 2012 12:14 pm

if you are going to hack digital synths - why get some extra hardware?

almost anything you can do with that box you can do with "programming" the controls of a vsti

or if you want more hacking - code up a vsti yourself

plus there are also block level synth generators for vsti's.

if you want to learn synth stuff I would recommend going thru the unread pages of your favorite vsti manual and tweaking parameters there rather than Yet Another Synth On The Shelf

Analog is different tho - get your hand on as many cheap beasties as you can find :)

passnthru
pluggin' in mics

Post by passnthru » Tue Jul 03, 2012 8:05 am

Bought the original kit and built it with my kids 6-12. My 10yr old has the most fun with it and he is starting to get into Abelton so who knows what he'll come up with. Easy enough build and great fun twisting knobs. The newer version has some nice upgrades to the first (which is still update-able. The community around it is coming up with some legit ideas to improve it. If you check out the Chris Randal video using it you get a good idea of what it is capable of. http://createdigitalmusic.com/2012/06/m ... s-weekend/
JP
Now, tell me why did I do that?

Darlington Pair
takin' a dinner break

Post by Darlington Pair » Thu Jul 12, 2012 6:33 am

I bought the original kit too. I LOVE it! Originally it was designed to be an 8 bit Realistic MG-1, the knob functions and all were nearly identical.

It's a really fun performance based synth.

Gregg Juke
cryogenically thawing

Post by Gregg Juke » Thu Jul 12, 2012 7:08 am

Does anyone have the Meeblip and the Korg Monotribe? I'm just wondering what the differences are (other than the obvious analog/digital). As posted earlier, what makes this any different from a plug-in type soft synth?

I LOVE the Monotribe, but was also considering the Mb...

GJ