favorite plugins for compression/limiting destruction?

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

Smitty
tinnitus

favorite plugins for compression/limiting destruction?

Post by Smitty » Mon Jul 02, 2012 7:37 am

getting back into DAW world after a few years off (and finally with a computer that can run more than a few plugins at a time).

wondering what your guys' favorite plugins are for doing big nasty distorted compression/limiting (a'la Neutral Milk Hotel, Broken Social Scene, John Vanderslice, etc.)? the grittier the better.
"I try to hate all my gear equally at all times to keep the balance of power in my favor." - Brad Sucks

Jeff White
ghost haunting audio students

Post by Jeff White » Mon Jul 02, 2012 8:24 am

You can always build a chain of stuff using some amp-emulating software and them chasing it with a compressor or vice versa.

Check out the Audio Damage plug-ins:http://www.audiodamage.com/effects/prod ... ?pid=AD030

These compressors absolutely rule: http://www.stillwellaudio.com/

Right now I'm getting into the new Waves stuff that I picked up. Loving the CLA version(s) of the 1176. The ALL button is kick-ass. I've used an 1176 a bunch of times, and these software emulations are pretty sick.

http://www.waves.com/Content.aspx?id=9297

I have a Valley People Dynamite sitting in my rack. That is by far my favorite compressor right now for totally taking stuff to the next level. It's an insane piece of kit for squashing the snot out of stuff, hard limiting, or expansion. I used the Expander on a song that'll be on the next Nightlands record. Dave wanted to take a bell kit to the next level, so we patched in the Dynamite. I don't reach for it all of the time (I have a modified dbx 160X that I use for tracking more often), but when I need a compressor that is like a swiss army knife of squishy or stretchy wowzers, I immediately reach for the Dynamite. It will do the Broken Social Scene / Dave Newfeld squashed-then-mushroom-cloud-cymbal-awesomeness ala "Pacific Theme."

With that said, there is also this that I have never tried: http://www.softube.com/valleypeople_dynamite.php. I am considering it, though. It's iLok, but in this day and age that really shouldn't be an issue. I ran an iLok for Waves stuff for 7 years with ZERO issues.

Jeff
Last edited by Jeff White on Mon Jul 02, 2012 8:56 am, edited 5 times in total.
I record, mix, and master in my Philly-based home studio, the Spacement. https://linktr.ee/ipressrecord

kinger
steve albini likes it

Post by kinger » Mon Jul 02, 2012 8:44 am

This may fit the bill, also, but you need an Ilok:

http://www.soundtoys.com/product/Devil-Loc

chris harris
speech impediment

Post by chris harris » Mon Jul 02, 2012 11:12 am

For obliterating things, I use UAD 1176LN, Devil Loc, or Camel Crusher.

Marc Alan Goodman
george martin

Post by Marc Alan Goodman » Mon Jul 02, 2012 3:02 pm

None of those examples used plugins :)

But aside from being a smartass: I really like the Soundtoys stuff, so the Devil Loc is an obvious choice. The Massey TapeHead does a pretty damn good job. I have a bunch of Pluggo ones I like to use too (especially the waveshaper), but I think they're no longer supported by Cycling 74.

Seriously though, try running OTB in to some distortion pedals too.

chris harris
speech impediment

Post by chris harris » Mon Jul 02, 2012 4:15 pm

Mmmmmm...... guitar pedals in the mix are a lot of fun!
Also on the less expensive end hardware wise, there's the Effectrons & Symetrix 501s. Both fun ways to blow stuff up!

digitaldrummer
ghost haunting audio students

Post by digitaldrummer » Tue Jul 03, 2012 8:57 pm

Sound Toys Devil-Loc. I love it. awesome on drums (parallel bus)
Mike
www.studiodrumtracks.com -- Drum tracks starting at $50!
www.doubledogrecording.com

mjau
speech impediment

Post by mjau » Tue Jul 03, 2012 9:02 pm

digitaldrummer wrote:Sound Toys Devil-Loc. I love it. awesome on drums (parallel bus)
Yeah, it's definitely fun. So is the Soundtoys Decapitator. And Vintage Warmer can sound great when it's pushed.

permanent hearing damage
re-cappin' neve

Post by permanent hearing damage » Tue Jul 03, 2012 10:17 pm

mjau wrote:
digitaldrummer wrote:Sound Toys Devil-Loc. I love it. awesome on drums (parallel bus)
Yeah, it's definitely fun. So is the Soundtoys Decapitator. And Vintage Warmer can sound great when it's pushed.
+1 for the Decapitator.

dfuruta
re-cappin' neve

Post by dfuruta » Tue Jul 03, 2012 10:38 pm

The Stillwell Rocket compressor "Impetus" knob is quite a nice distortion effect.

fossiltooth
carpal tunnel

Post by fossiltooth » Thu Jul 05, 2012 9:45 am

All of these. Also Eventide's Omnipressor and the UBK-1, among others. I have an article coming out soon about this too...

Some plugins can definitely do "extreme" well. Some just aren't made for it.

ricercar.record
gettin' sounds

Post by ricercar.record » Thu Jul 05, 2012 3:08 pm

no one mentioned the Sansamp psa-1 yet. Been using that for some parallel drum bus smashing/distortion on a recent project. Also use the Devil-Loc for this as well as Room Mic smashing, Decapitator as well for the drum buss thing, and on snare and guitars, also LA3A and a hardware Symetrix 501.

ott0bot
dead but not forgotten

Post by ott0bot » Sat Jul 07, 2012 12:48 pm

Marc Alan Goodman wrote:None of those examples used plugins :)

But aside from being a smartass: I really like the Soundtoys stuff, so the Devil Loc is an obvious choice. The Massey TapeHead does a pretty damn good job. I have a bunch of Pluggo ones I like to use too (especially the waveshaper), but I think they're no longer supported by Cycling 74.

Seriously though, try running OTB in to some distortion pedals too.
Yes, yes & yes.

The Massey tapehead is excellent. Especially great on overdriving bass, box, and snares. Devil-loc is much grittier And can add more noise...giving it a more analog feel.

Also, I've used amp simulators for this too, works quite well.

Personally re-amping into a small tube amp or effect pedal is the most fun for me.

Galen Ulrich Elfert
gettin' sounds

Post by Galen Ulrich Elfert » Tue Jul 10, 2012 9:39 am

Tapehead is great, but I also use the Massey TD5 tape delay as a great tape simulator. With a short delay time, the blend at max and the feedback at minimum it gives an older, dirtier, very convincing tape simulation, especially in Vintage mode. The longer the delay the more the sound degenerates, getting darker and slightly warbly. Of course you have to compensate for the delay but that's pretty trivial in DAW land.

mjau
speech impediment

Post by mjau » Thu Jul 12, 2012 7:14 pm

Tapehead into Tapehead. Bitchin.