Shure SM57 with TAB Funkenwerk Transformer - worth it ?

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

zzzxtreme
audio school

Shure SM57 with TAB Funkenwerk Transformer - worth it ?

Post by zzzxtreme » Tue Jul 03, 2012 9:49 pm

hi guys, first time posting, apologize in advanced if posted in the wrong section

I'm a noob when it comes to recording. Just built my own "semi-private" rehearsal/recording studio. I did some recording for my band's single, metal genre using SM57. the song overall, doesn't sound bad to our ears.

I'm kinda in a shopping mood, while googling for mics, I read something called "Shure SM57 with TAB Funkenwerk Transformer", which people use a lot on almost everything, guitar cabs, bass cabs, snares, etc.. etc..

Since I'm from malaysia, the total cost of this new modded sm57 plus shipping is US$225

is this modded SM57 a "great" mic ? Ya know, something I can use for long time for good results everytime and sounds better than generic SM57 in every way

Nick Sevilla
on a wing and a prayer

Post by Nick Sevilla » Tue Jul 03, 2012 9:53 pm

Hi,

Try using a lower impedance mic preamplifier. Somewhere around 600 OHMs input.
That will sort out the shures' sound.

And for the record, I have two SM57s, and will never modify them.

Cheers
Howling at the neighbors. Hoping they have more mic cables.

Recycled_Brains
resurrected

Post by Recycled_Brains » Thu Jul 05, 2012 8:24 am

I modded mine with the TAB 57. I think it sounds better, but given that you're new to recording in general, I wouldn't worry about it.

A stock SM57 is fine, despite what most will tell you. Work on getting good sounds with it how it is (esp. since the cost of a modded one is so high where you are), then worry about modding it later if you really think it will help you achieve better results.

Or, at the very least, think about what the stock 57 isn't doing for you that you'd like it to, and then figure out if the mod would give you what you're missing (I find the modded 57 to be more linear sounding, clearer lowend and less edgy in the upper-mids), or if it'd be better to get something else altogether.
Ryan Slowey
Albany, NY

http://maggotbrainny.bandcamp.com

ott0bot
dead but not forgotten

Post by ott0bot » Thu Jul 05, 2012 9:01 am

me personally, I wouldn't spend the money on modding or a modded 57. The stock unit will do just fine.

instead i'd look for an affordable unhyped condenser mic like the AKG perception series. Or invest in a large diaphram dynamic like the sm7 or electrovoice re20.

You could also look for a budget ribbin mic like an aphex, and mod that. It's a very common technique to pair a ribbon with a 57 on guitar cabs for metal and rock music.

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Thu Jul 05, 2012 9:57 am

Modding is fun, but not so much when the return for the money isn't high.

If you want variation on the 57, I'd reco buying other, similar mic's.

This be the way to madness, but I've had a blast recently buying used dynamics, usually around US$25-30 each. Old AKG, EV and Audio Techica mics are often in the "sound area" of 57's. And, of course, old Shure's.

And while I think "better" is certainly, even onna song by song basis, subjective, it's a hella lotta fun and useful to have variations on the theme.

Once in a while they have to be cleaned or even repaired, what gets my DIY jones satisfied.

+1 on cheap ribbons; I have a few, and all of the cheaper ones have greatly benefited by the simple removal of some of the wind screen material, and by installing absorption in the mic body.
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

zzzxtreme
audio school

Post by zzzxtreme » Thu Jul 05, 2012 7:28 pm

thanks all for the help.

the sm57 does give me good results, thought maybe if I combine it with something else it will make me go "OH! that sounds much more evil" or something like that. and i need some retail therapy.

the tab sm57 is almost the price of E906. Haven't really thought about ribbons, are they difficult to mod ? I've heard good things about Apex 210

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Thu Jul 05, 2012 9:49 pm

A little cheaper is the E609 what is a nice alternative to a 57, not super dissimilar, but definitely different; I think of it as mebbe brighter and dirtier. FWIW, I've read it sounds different (the E609) at a distance, but I bought it to hang, damn it, and hang it shall.

I have found ribbon mods to be pretty easy. The basic mod of stripping the screening means figuring out how to get the headbasket off, and then using pliers to pull the screening out. I then stuff the bodies with cloth scraps, after making sure the wiring is straight. While not complex (a little muscle is involved), the results are obvious, and I believe worthy. I have also been able to tighten ribbons by loosening the clamp and using a bit of tape to pull it up before tightening. I have done this on 3 mic's with no issues.

FWIW, as posted elsewhere, I bought a mic with a bad ribbon which I "successfully" replaced with aluminum foil, corrugated with a gear. I have some actual ribbon on the way, but I thought it cool I could fake it.

I did buy some caps and resistors to do the 603 mods on some condensors - haven't actually done 'em yet.
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

Mixwell
pluggin' in mics

Post by Mixwell » Wed Jul 11, 2012 11:58 am

I have a ton of experience with Olivers Transformer for the SM57/58 microphones.

In my opinion, it is another great sound to have in your arsenal, as well as the stock Shure SM58/57, FWIW.

What I hear happening to the microphone, is this;

The Bass gets clearer, and overall there is less smear/muck in the mid-to-low-mid, and low end range. The treble range is more open to my ears, you could explain it as brighter, or more extended sounding.

The T58 does extend the resolution of the capsule towards 20K. The best way to test the difference, for me, is with an acoustic GTR. You can hear it right away. It really opens the mic up for other applications.

Good luck!
Adam J. Brass
www.DSPdoctor.com
Pro Audio Dealer
adam@dspdoctor.com
(1) 866 988 9111

"Where High End is Still King"

kslight
mixes from purgatory

Post by kslight » Wed Jul 11, 2012 4:32 pm

zzzxtreme wrote:thanks all for the help.

the sm57 does give me good results, thought maybe if I combine it with something else it will make me go "OH! that sounds much more evil" or something like that. and i need some retail therapy.

the tab sm57 is almost the price of E906. Haven't really thought about ribbons, are they difficult to mod ? I've heard good things about Apex 210
I have not done any mods to my 57s, mostly because it seems like you could buy another (better) mic at that cost. You can certainly look into the *free* 57 mods (google!) if you are looking for something different. I really don't mind the 57 stock on percussion sources especially, and if it were me I'd be more interested in adding another mic to my arsenal than putting an expensive transformer into a 57.

I do like the E906s on guitar amps, and have wanted to try them on toms but never got around to it. I picked them up rather cheap, maybe $100 for a pair... I haven't compared them to their cheaper counterpart (E609) but they definitely do a lot more for me than a 57.