Tascam 424III metering question

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

Mane1234
re-cappin' neve

Tascam 424III metering question

Post by Mane1234 » Sat Jul 07, 2012 4:55 am

Last night I was recording some vocals to my 424III. The chain was a Senn 421 through a Scully 280 and then right into the Tascam but of course the Tascam pre was all the way down. Having the Tascam channel meter hitting at about three or maybe four segments before absolute peaking it sounded ok but on playback it just wasn't loud enough and the same meter was showing something much lower than when recording. All faders where right around 0. The Scully meter on recording was barely moving at all. If we cranked the Scully unit to where the needle was in the middle or to the right up to where the red secion of the VU meter starts, it pretty much slammed the Tascam meter but sounded like what I was looking for.

Can someone tell me why the discrepancy in metering? Was this some sort impedance mismatch going on? Lack of head room on the Tascam? I wasn't unhappy with final sound in fact it had a really cool tape distortion thing that was perfect for the song. Thanks in advance for any replies.

I'm loving what I'm getting on this machine these days and we've decided to go ahead and spend the time, effort and money on doing some sound treatment so it's cool we're getting some before recordings. Right now we're only using two mics on the drums and submixing that before it gets sent to one channel of the Tascam. Those mics are an AT 4050 on the OH and a D6 on the kick. The guitar mic has been a Senn 609 although I did use a Beyer M160 on a track tonight. Using the 421 on vox was a first tonight as before it had been an Audix i5 but through the Carvin's board pre. I'm trying to find a better way to get this into digital than what I have so I can post some stuff cause for what we're doing and where we're doing it at it's pretty warm and crunchy, maybe too much even. Difficult to say just yet.
Of course I've had it in the ear before.....

snatchman
george martin

Re: Tascam 424III metering question

Post by snatchman » Sat Jul 07, 2012 9:29 pm

Mane1234 wrote:Last night I was recording some vocals to my 424III. The chain was a Senn 421 through a Scully 280 and then right into the Tascam but of course the Tascam pre was all the way down. Having the Tascam channel meter hitting at about three or maybe four segments before absolute peaking it sounded ok but on playback it just wasn't loud enough and the same meter was showing something much lower than when recording. All faders where right around 0. The Scully meter on recording was barely moving at all. If we cranked the Scully unit to where the needle was in the middle or to the right up to where the red secion of the VU meter starts, it pretty much slammed the Tascam meter but sounded like what I was looking for.

Can someone tell me why the discrepancy in metering? Was this some sort impedance mismatch going on? Lack of head room on the Tascam? I wasn't unhappy with final sound in fact it had a really cool tape distortion thing that was perfect for the song. Thanks in advance for any replies.

I'm loving what I'm getting on this machine these days and we've decided to go ahead and spend the time, effort and money on doing some sound treatment so it's cool we're getting some before recordings. Right now we're only using two mics on the drums and submixing that before it gets sent to one channel of the Tascam. Those mics are an AT 4050 on the OH and a D6 on the kick. The guitar mic has been a Senn 609 although I did use a Beyer M160 on a track tonight. Using the 421 on vox was a first tonight as before it had been an Audix i5 but through the Carvin's board pre. I'm trying to find a better way to get this into digital than what I have so I can post some stuff cause for what we're doing and where we're doing it at it's pretty warm and crunchy, maybe too much even. Difficult to say just yet.
Are you going into the Tascam's XLR ( mic pre input) or in a line input..? If you are going into the mic pre input, you are hitting it at mic level ( which the input is expecting) and the Scully is putting out line level..With the Tascam pre level turn down, the Tascam think you have a mic plugged directly into it and just haven't turn the level up..( hence low level on playback because you haven't turn the gain pot up)..The Scully at line level is "hot enough" at line level to get you a decent record level according to the meters but not going to the record heads because the Tascam's gain pot/meter level works in tandem. Do you have a line level input or direct input on the Tascam..?..If so, give those a try..Good luck

Mane1234
re-cappin' neve

Post by Mane1234 » Sun Jul 08, 2012 4:19 pm

I was going in through the XLR. Thanks for the explanation. You were able to explain some things that I wasn't aware of. The Tascam has both XLR and 1/4 inch input, but I think it's the same signal path so they both pass through the mic pre which I guess means that there is no real line in. I'll double check the manual.

snatchman
george martin

Post by snatchman » Sun Jul 08, 2012 8:51 pm

Mane1234 wrote:I was going in through the XLR. Thanks for the explanation. You were able to explain some things that I wasn't aware of. The Tascam has both XLR and 1/4 inch input, but I think it's the same signal path so they both pass through the mic pre which I guess means that there is no real line in. I'll double check the manual.
Hello..I visited the Tascam's manual on line and it seems as if the line in passes thru the pre also.. Try using the 1/4" line ins as there may be a resistor,etc. added to compensate to give you a " psuedo" line level impedance to at least get you a closer representation of the signal feeding your meters..I'm pretty sure the 1/4" is at nominal -10..If the output of the Scully is +4 ( even tho it'll sorta work ),you may have to get something along the lines of an Ebtech Line Level Shifter to match the output of the Scully to the Tascam's 1/4" -10 inputs to get the meters more accurate..Good luck..

ashcat_lt
tinnitus

Post by ashcat_lt » Tue Jul 10, 2012 8:54 am

I seem to recall this being the case with every cassette recorder I ever used. Cant tell you exactly why it happens, but it always seems to be that the output level is lower on the meters than what you saw when you were going in. Even if you slam the inputs to where the meters are fully lit all the time it'll play back a notch or so below the top. Nothing you can do except get used to it. Learn what sort of input levels give you acceptable output and - most importantly - use your ears more than your eyes!

snatchman
george martin

Post by snatchman » Wed Jul 11, 2012 6:19 pm

ashcat_lt wrote:I seem to recall this being the case with every cassette recorder I ever used. Cant tell you exactly why it happens, but it always seems to be that the output level is lower on the meters than what you saw when you were going in. Even if you slam the inputs to where the meters are fully lit all the time it'll play back a notch or so below the top. Nothing you can do except get used to it. Learn what sort of input levels give you acceptable output and - most importantly - use your ears more than your eyes!
True..Also I'm sure you have already but, have you cleaned/demagnetized your heads lately..? Sometimes dirty heads give some erratic readings also..Good luck..

Mane1234
re-cappin' neve

Post by Mane1234 » Wed Jul 11, 2012 10:55 pm

Actually I haven't cleaned or demaged recently so thanks for reminding me. I always forget the obvious little stuff. I'll pull the Handy Mag out this weekend and order up some fluid. Can I use 90% or better Isoprop on this?