Do you know AKG BX-series Spring Tanks?

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

route-electrique
gettin' sounds

Do you know AKG BX-series Spring Tanks?

Post by route-electrique » Sat Jul 07, 2012 11:22 pm

Hey there :).

Yes, AKG BX-22e, my latest purchase. I'm stoked after running some Marvin Gaye acapella throught it. Anyway, i'm looking for website, information or a person who would have schematics or service manual for my model, and also information how to implement "decay" -knob to my unit, it is missing from the front panel. I'm also interested building remote control for it.

My research on web just got me service manual for BX-20e, i never found one for BX-22e, only short product information document. That might be enough if i haven't forgot all the electronic/power technology education i had in my youth :).

Please, chime in :P.

♫ "Beware the handshake that hides the snake. Beware the pat on the back - it just might hold you back." ♫

EasyGo
buyin' a studio

Post by EasyGo » Mon Jul 09, 2012 10:28 pm

Congratulations! As I said in my other post, I'd never heard of this particular model of AKG spring reverb. I do know the splashing sound of an overdriven BX-20 figured prominently in the sound of 80s Jamaican reggae and dancehall music after the Channel One studio in Kingston upgraded from the BX-10. Other than that, I'm afraid I can't be more helpful.

route-electrique
gettin' sounds

Post by route-electrique » Mon Jul 09, 2012 10:50 pm

EasyGo wrote:Congratulations! As I said in my other post, I'd never heard of this particular model of AKG spring reverb. I do know the splashing sound of an overdriven BX-20 figured prominently in the sound of 80s Jamaican reggae and dancehall music after the Channel One studio in Kingston upgraded from the BX-10. Other than that, I'm afraid I can't be more helpful.
Yeah, actually i was looking for AKG BX-20e and then i got call from one guy who owns a studio and was offered this model. I couldn't say no :lol:, since it's very hard to find these babies from Finland.

Here you can hear it on Marvin Gaye (1 minute dry, 1 minute wet)
http://www.waveformbakery.com/media/dem ... INHIGH.mp3
*dry meaning without BX22e, recording has some plate or similar on it :).
♫ "Beware the handshake that hides the snake. Beware the pat on the back - it just might hold you back." ♫

tactics
steve albini likes it

Post by tactics » Fri Jul 13, 2012 1:02 am

The main difference thats obvious from a BX20E shows the BX22e to be mono in/stereo out ?
Whereas the BX20E is stereo in/stereo out.
I have a BX20E with the original decay controller, it's a one trick pony but pretty sweet at what it does.

Random web photo:
cleantone wrote:
Microphone Case, Black, Plastic N/A $30.00
What is this case like? I've been thinking about getting one.