Passive vs active nearfields - if the amp was free

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

IDQ
alignin' 24-trk

Passive vs active nearfields - if the amp was free

Post by IDQ » Sun Jul 08, 2012 7:32 pm

Hey all, I'll try to keep this short. I find myself in a slight tangent to the oft-discussed "best budget nearfield" discussion, so bear with me.

-The situation: I'm a hobbyist musician/engineer with a bedroom studio in Portland, OR. Work has unexpectedly required me to move to Peoria, IL, for one year. I'm setting up a "light" version of my studio, so I only brought the stuff I could ship. I left the uber-heavy HR24s back in PDX. I planned to spend $300-$400 on nearfields and sell em again at the end of the year.

I admit to being somewhat sold on the active monitor idea in the past. At that price, I've been considering the KRK rockit 6, the JBL LSR 2325, and the yamaha HS50m. People have shared opinions on these before, and I'm happy to hear more - but ultimately I would trust my ears to pick among them if I could get the chance to A/B them without the GC assclowns blasting nu-metal mp3s through them when I ask to compare them.

The twist is this: my mom asked me to help clear out a cabinet full of dormant AV gear so she could clean it up, and I discovered an Adcom GFA 535 in there. Really. I know people love this amp for driving passives, so I'm wondering if it would be more cost effective to just use this "gift" that fell in my lap and go passive for the year.

My main questions are:
1) Passive monitor recs under $400/pair (I know some folks like the axiom m2)
2) How much issue am I likely to encounter with noise in switching from a balanced XLR connection from interface to monitors, to a setup going interface to amp to passive monitors?

Okay, so it wasn't that short. Thanks in advance!

brew
pushin' record

Post by brew » Sun Jul 08, 2012 9:05 pm

I don't think you'll have any problems with noise--afterall, millions of people, and most mastering engineers, use passives every day.

Don't have any recommendations at that price... either used pro, or new hi-fi gear, like maybe the Model 6.

Audio Engine and Paradigm are also in that price range.
Last edited by brew on Mon Jul 09, 2012 11:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Sun Jul 08, 2012 9:30 pm

I predict no noise problems.

One year in Peoria? Are you inna sit-com? :twisted:

Consider something used; I have 20 y.o. Tannoy PBM 6.5 II's, and love 'em.
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

Gregg Juke
cryogenically thawing

Post by Gregg Juke » Sun Jul 08, 2012 11:18 pm

I was going to recommend the Tannoys too.

GJ

Scodiddly
genitals didn't survive the freeze

Post by Scodiddly » Mon Jul 09, 2012 5:48 am

Have you tested that amp yet? Might have been buried in the closet for a reason.

ott0bot
dead but not forgotten

Post by ott0bot » Mon Jul 09, 2012 7:57 am

The tannoys are decent for the price. Also, Axiom m2's pair well with the 535. You could get a pair of those for around your budget or less. If you want the budget choice, check the Wharfdale diamond 8.2 passives. A little hyped, but way more neutral than the krk's you referenced.

Noise is manageable, pending the amp is in good shape and you keep your cabling runs clean and short with some decent cable, avoiding power supplies and cables.

chorga1
pushin' record

Post by chorga1 » Tue Jul 10, 2012 2:00 pm

B&W 600 series - used off of audiogon.

IDQ
alignin' 24-trk

Post by IDQ » Wed Jul 11, 2012 7:32 am

Thanks, Chris, for the link to the Equator D5 review. I was about to say I don't know how I missed these, but I guess the answer is that they aren't spending all their money on advertising. After reading a few reviews, I've ordered a pair. I'll report back, though I certainly don't have the experience or multitude of comparison products as some of the pro reviewers.

I will still likely put the Adcom to use in my living room here this year, so I will still perhaps pick up some of the speakers mentioned here. I also have access to some bookshelf KEF speakers, and I've usually liked their stuff.

KennyLusk
dead but not forgotten

Post by KennyLusk » Wed Jul 11, 2012 10:54 am

I'm just a home studio enthusiast but have to say I've been super happy with JBL Control 1's for 6 years now. As small as they are they really do represent the lows very well - something I didn't expect from woofers that small. They sound so much bigger than they really are. They handle a lot of power and play nice amped by an old Sansui AU-505. Heavy as bricks - nothing wimpy about the build quality. The price is well below actual value IMO. As my nearfields they are accurate, my mixes translate nicely every time and unlike my big guys they're never muddy in the lower mids.
"The mushroom states its own position very clearly. It says, "I require the nervous system of a mammal. Do you have one handy?" Terrence McKenna

drumsound
zen recordist

Post by drumsound » Thu Jul 12, 2012 3:52 pm

As mentioned, test the amp first, because if it doesn't work, the question is moot.

Also, I'm less than an hour from Peoria (are you working for that giant company that makes earth moving equipment?) so get ahold of me, and come hang out!

SafeandSoundMastering
gettin' sounds

Post by SafeandSoundMastering » Fri Jul 13, 2012 6:16 am

Noise level will depend on the quality of the amplifier, good amp designs do not create noise whether it is buzz or hiss.

I like an amp and passive speaker arrangement myself, nothing wrong with actives but the biggest difference is in quality and expense of designs rather than active or passive in itself. There can be both good and bad designs in both types of arrangement.

cheers

SafeandSound Mastering
Audio mastering

Jim Williams
tinnitus

Post by Jim Williams » Fri Jul 13, 2012 7:58 am

All Adcom here. I bought my GFA535 new in 1987. It runs a pair of JBL pro III's.
I use a GFA545 to run my JBL 4408A's. Never a problem interfacing the RCA to any feed. These amps are dead silent, something you don't get with powered monitors. The 2 prong AC cable avoids the possibility of ground loops.

The design of each stage is a lesson in linear amp design, nothing better I've found at any price.
Jim Williams
Audio Upgrades