I'm Back - And I See ALOT of "Tape"

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

jstark
audio school graduate

Post by jstark » Mon Dec 17, 2012 4:02 pm

I've been experimenting with Reason lately, and have come to the realization that computer-based recording is for other people.
damn, I really hope you weren't trying to record (as in "track") with Reason. I wouldn't wish that experience on my worst enemy.
peace.
david.

"everything you know is wrong. but some of it is a useful first approximation." - Eric S. Raymond

Judas Jetski
carpal tunnel

Post by Judas Jetski » Tue Dec 18, 2012 5:59 am

Just trying to remix prerecorded tracks on a mac. Sounds fantastic; effects available are awesome, easy to use, and especially easy to run in parallel, which is wonderful. But it's a bad sign when the software doesn't do what the manual says it will do when a given button is pressed. Some people have an easier time dealing with this sort of thing than others; I'm definitely an "other" in that respect.
New Judas Jetski EP up! andysmash.bandcamp.com

www.andysmash.com

TapeOpLarry
TapeOp Admin
TapeOp Admin

Post by TapeOpLarry » Wed Dec 19, 2012 10:07 am

No offense to anyone, and I always say use what ya got, but when I think of what I like about tape it ain't 4-track cassette or a 388 machine. It's usually only 16-track 2" that even gets close to sounding good. And man, I still spend a lot of money every year making these things keep running.
Larry Crane, Editor/Founder Tape Op Magazine
please visit www.tapeop.com for contact information
(do not send private messages via this board!)
www.larry-crane.com

Judas Jetski
carpal tunnel

Post by Judas Jetski » Wed Dec 19, 2012 3:32 pm

In my fondest dreams...

*sigh*
New Judas Jetski EP up! andysmash.bandcamp.com

www.andysmash.com

bobschwenkler
gettin' sounds

Post by bobschwenkler » Fri Dec 21, 2012 5:28 pm

Probably 95% of the work here at least passes through tape at some point. It was only after I came on ~3 years ago that the studio even had a computer in it...

LimpyLoo
pluggin' in mics

Post by LimpyLoo » Sun Dec 23, 2012 10:11 pm

TapeOpLarry wrote:No offense to anyone, and I always say use what ya got, but when I think of what I like about tape it ain't 4-track cassette or a 388 machine.

Damn man, that's cold.

:( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :(

:cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

eh91311
buyin' a studio

Post by eh91311 » Mon Dec 24, 2012 12:24 am

LimpyLoo wrote:
TapeOpLarry wrote:No offense to anyone, and I always say use what ya got, but when I think of what I like about tape it ain't 4-track cassette or a 388 machine.

Damn man, that's cold.

Nope. He's absolutely correct.

donny
takin' a dinner break

Post by donny » Tue Dec 25, 2012 11:25 am

While I agree 'not all tape decks are created equal', I would certainly use a 388 or 4-track cassette before anything digital. Teac/Tascam stuff has a certain sound to it, and I would venture to say just as much important music has been made on these kinds of decks over the last couple of decades than anything else !
http://www.trounrecords.com

your life is beautiful / a seed becomes a tree / a mountain into a sky / this life is meant to be

LimpyLoo
pluggin' in mics

Post by LimpyLoo » Wed Dec 26, 2012 11:50 pm

eh91311 wrote:
LimpyLoo wrote:

Damn man, that's cold.

Nope. He's absolutely correct.
Umm, how can an opinion be 'correct'?

[answer: it can't be]

Rikharthu
audio school

Post by Rikharthu » Sun Dec 30, 2012 4:58 am

TapeOpLarry wrote:No offense to anyone, and I always say use what ya got, but when I think of what I like about tape it ain't 4-track cassette or a 388 machine. It's usually only 16-track 2" that even gets close to sounding good. And man, I still spend a lot of money every year making these things keep running.
So the only thing that actually sounds good is a 2" 8-track? As far as standard 2" machines go...

Or do you not believe tape actually sounds good, and just use it for the workflow? (which is understandable) ^^

I personally don't like the sound of a -super clean- 2". To me it has the negative properties I associate with digital. Crazy, I know.

Excuse me while I go tell my 388 that everything's gonna be ok...