What Kind of Tape Do I Need?

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

tactics
steve albini likes it

Post by tactics » Sat Jul 28, 2012 6:42 pm

tdrop wrote:I'm going back and forth on how much I want to get wrapped up in the technical aspect of tape deck maintenance. Part of me wants to get all into working on these machines. The other part of me knows I'll spend all my time on that and won't actually do much recording.
Fair enough. But maintaining an analog deck will get you much better results
in the long run. It may seem a bit daunting to learn at first but it really isnt.
Get the tech to explain the procedure & after a few calibrations you will
wonder what all the fuss is about, it's like putting oil & water in a car.

I calibrate my machines before use on each session, it has become a habit now
& i cant do it any other way. Best of luck...
cleantone wrote:
Microphone Case, Black, Plastic N/A $30.00
What is this case like? I've been thinking about getting one.

banana brains
gettin' sounds

Post by banana brains » Sun Jul 29, 2012 9:19 am

tactics wrote:
tdrop wrote:I'm going back and forth on how much I want to get wrapped up in the technical aspect of tape deck maintenance. Part of me wants to get all into working on these machines. The other part of me knows I'll spend all my time on that and won't actually do much recording.
in the long run. It may seem a bit daunting to learn at first but it really isnt.

What are maintenance musts?

1. Alignment
2. Cleaning tape path
3. Lube
4. Calibrate the machine for the type of tape you are using

Is that it as far as routine maintenance goes?

tactics
steve albini likes it

Post by tactics » Sat Aug 04, 2012 6:59 pm

tdrop wrote:
tactics wrote:

What are maintenance musts?

1. Alignment
2. Cleaning tape path
3. Lube

Try searching analog tape machine alignment this should yield plenty of reading.
cleantone wrote:
Microphone Case, Black, Plastic N/A $30.00
What is this case like? I've been thinking about getting one.

ethyrvalve
alignin' 24-trk

Post by ethyrvalve » Sat Aug 11, 2012 3:30 pm

tdrop wrote: What are maintenance musts?

1. Alignment
2. Cleaning tape path
3. Lube

1. When I was first starting out with tape machines, it was hugely helpful to hire a tech to do a housecall and to watch carefully/ask questions. It might be a bit tricky to learn things like adjusting azimuth just by reading manuals/Web sites.
Also, since you're dealing with multi-track machine and presumably not worried about exchanging tapes with other studios, one careful alignment by a pro should last you a long time (especially considering the deck is a part of the very reliable Otari MX5050 series).
2. This is really not a hassle at all. Just get some 99% alcohol and (wooden if possible) cotton swabs and wipe the heads and metal points of tape contact before recording and during breaks. This helps your machine last longer (accumulated oxide accelerates wear) and ensures better tape-to-head contact (better high frequency response). Avoid dripping alcohol down the capstan shaft (it could harm the lubricant). You can clean the pinch roller with windex (it doesn't need to be cleaned as often in my opinion.
3. This isn't something you need to do often in my experiences. If you hire a pro to do a housecall, he/she can help you determine if the machine needs any oil.
4. Since you want to concentrate on recording and not get bogged down in maintenance, I'd advise you to stick to one formulation of tape. It's true that there are differences between batches and aligning each tape individually can help you eke out the very best possible performance from your machine (I do this, but I take an interest in the tech side of things and I've learned how to do it quickly), but I'd say this is very minor thing and most people wouldn't notice the difference.

Two other things I'd advise:
1) get a dust cover or make one (goes a long away in helping avoid crackly controls and other problems related to dirt/dust accumulation).
2) record test tones at either the beginning or the end of your tape. 100hz 1khz and 10khz would probably do the trick. Playing back test tones can tell you if your machine has driften out of mechanical or electrical alignment.
My mostly analog studio's blog: http://freelovefenner.com/studio

Judas Jetski
carpal tunnel

Post by Judas Jetski » Sat Aug 11, 2012 8:33 pm

It's a good machine. I'll bet there's a switch on the back somewhere to toggle between NAB and IEC... it might be inside the deck, though. I sincerely doubt it, but it might be. My MX-50's have an IEC/NAB switch on the back of them, but there are four options which you can only set from inside the machine. (Tape speeds, record button function, record during variable speed mode, and something else which I forgot.)

I sincerely hope that's not the case with your deck though, because that would be a big pain in a very personal area.

I still think it's on the back somewhere. It may be cleverly camouflaged.
New Judas Jetski EP up! andysmash.bandcamp.com

www.andysmash.com

Gregg Juke
cryogenically thawing

Post by Gregg Juke » Sun Aug 12, 2012 5:52 am

Warning: Thread Hi-Jack In-Progress...

Hi JJ. Where have you been?

GJ

Judas Jetski
carpal tunnel

Post by Judas Jetski » Sun Aug 12, 2012 4:22 pm

Oh, I've been hiding right here under my rock. Sellin' all my shiznit on eBay to keep afloat. It's a never-ending journey. 8)

You?

www.andysmash.com

Gregg Juke
cryogenically thawing

Post by Gregg Juke » Mon Aug 13, 2012 5:56 am

Ah, you know, this that and the other thing...

PM me or e-mail sometime. We should make good on that "Northeast/NYS Tape Oppers Meeting" this year. We moved our studio into a much more guest-friendly location.

GJ

Judas Jetski
carpal tunnel

Post by Judas Jetski » Mon Aug 13, 2012 6:04 am

Oh, hellz yeah. I think I still have your e-mail address...

www.andysmash.com

penelec
steve albini likes it

Post by penelec » Tue Aug 14, 2012 3:23 pm

Where are you located? If you're around NYC, drop me a line if you want help troubleshooting. It's a great machine, and you got it at a great price.
"I mean, not to be a stickler for spelling, but "genitals" is so not a get-what-you-mean-type word. It sounds clinical and dirty and looks clinical and dirty. It must be spelt correctly."

banana brains
gettin' sounds

Post by banana brains » Sat Aug 18, 2012 10:04 am

ethyrvalve wrote: 2) record test tones at either the beginning or the end of your tape. 100hz 1khz and 10khz would probably do the trick. Playing back test tones can tell you if your machine has driften out of mechanical or electrical alignment.
Could you expand upon recording test tones? How do I do this? Where do I get the test tones?

Thanks.

PS Panelec...I live in NC, but thank you for the offer to help me trouble shoot the machine. Its off at the tech's shop right now. For $230 I'm getting it cleaned and aligned. He told me the heads are in great shape which is great news. Nothing wrong with it except some burned out VU lamps.

ethyrvalve
alignin' 24-trk

Post by ethyrvalve » Mon Aug 20, 2012 8:18 am

tdrop wrote:
ethyrvalve wrote: 2) record test tones at either the beginning or the end of your tape. 100hz 1khz and 10khz would probably do the trick. Playing back test tones can tell you if your machine has driften out of mechanical or electrical alignment.
Could you expand upon recording test tones? How do I do this? Where do I get the test tones?
Hey tdrop, I'm not very familiar with the 4-track version of this machine, but something makes me think it might have a built-in sine wave test tone oscillator. If not, Goreski's site Analogrules.com has some tones you can download and play off an ipod/CD/computer and record to your machine:
http://www.analogrules.com/tones.html
You just record 30 seconds or so of each frequency at the "0" level on your VU meter (monitoring off the 'repro' or dedicated playback head). It's pretty normal to have a bit of waver on the VU meter at 10KHz or higher. If there is significant waver at 1KHz, it's often a sign that something is awry with the tape path/mechanical functionality of the machine.
If you're interested, that Analog Rules site has all kinds of great info on this stuff.
My mostly analog studio's blog: http://freelovefenner.com/studio

banana brains
gettin' sounds

Post by banana brains » Mon Aug 20, 2012 3:57 pm

Thanks, that's great info. I have been to the AnalogRules site. Lots of info indeed. I have to send Goretski the BQII manual, because thank goodness, I finally found it.

What a score, I've been looking for that manual for months and none of the manuals sites have it or no where to get it. Otari wanted $275 for it. I got it for $9!