Talk me into a new DAW, Pro Tools I think we're done...

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

Nick Sevilla
on a wing and a prayer

Post by Nick Sevilla » Thu Jul 26, 2012 10:23 am

;ivlunsdystf wrote:Look, this just turned back into Reaper troubleshooting fest! sorry
I am troubleshooting ProTools. Maybe that is why my last post says ProTools three times.
And this post says ProTools ten times.

ProTools
ProTools
ProTools
ProTools
ProTools
ProTools
ProTools.
Howling at the neighbors. Hoping they have more mic cables.

blungo2
re-cappin' neve

Post by blungo2 » Thu Jul 26, 2012 12:25 pm

Nick Sevilla wrote:
blungo2 wrote: Just wav files, they come in, but play in super slow motion. I can workaround it by speeding up the files, but the slow down isn't consistant. This is independent of interfaces as well. I'm not worried about it anymore.
How much slower? Half speed?

Are you running a session at 24/96 and your interface is set accidentally at 48k? That would make your audio playback at half speed.

Which audio interface are you using, and can it run at a different sample rate than ProTools? I remember with Apogees, the first third party interfaces one could use with ProTools, that you HAD to check the sample rate setting every time, because ProTools could not change it from within the software settings.

And I have seen other third party hardware hijinks happening.
No, everything is usually 88.2/24bit. It's often 8 times too slow, but not always, although it's always and even integer.
Currently using an RME UFX, but when i had an echo it did it too.
Since it only happens in reaper, i just don't use reaper when i have to move files around.

blungo2
re-cappin' neve

Post by blungo2 » Thu Jul 26, 2012 12:26 pm

;ivlunsdystf wrote:Look, this just turned back into Reaper troubleshooting fest! sorry
Sorry about that! I didn't mean to hijack...

slowcentury
gettin' sounds

Post by slowcentury » Thu Jul 26, 2012 8:22 pm

So after using Reaper for a week, im not totally sold on it. Perhaps I have worked with protools long enough that Im just so used to the work flow. I guess it's time to cave and buy PT10. Im still using 8 but im looking to upgrade my computer (still running xp) I might take the dive and go mac too. My laptop just died on me so this maybe a good time to make the switch over to mac world and swap my recording computer out at the same time. I think the bulk of my Pro tools issues lie in the pc end of things really.

Angie
gettin' sounds

Post by Angie » Fri Jul 27, 2012 8:38 am

Sounds like you've made up your mind to stick with PT, now. So, this might be too late. But I would encourage you to look into SAWStudio. Totally different work flow from pro tools. But running it on your WinXP machine is a no brainer.

Bro Shark
re-cappin' neve

Post by Bro Shark » Fri Jul 27, 2012 11:23 am

Angie wrote:your WinXP machine
XP was cool and lasted a long time, but... it's time to say goodbye.

Angie
gettin' sounds

Post by Angie » Fri Jul 27, 2012 12:31 pm

Bro Shark wrote:
Angie wrote:your WinXP machine
XP was cool and lasted a long time, but... it's time to say goodbye.
It is only time to say goodbye if your hardware drivers aren't supported. I don't see anything wrong with using it otherwise.

Bro Shark
re-cappin' neve

Post by Bro Shark » Fri Jul 27, 2012 1:31 pm

XP doesn't play well with any of the latest PC hardware, so. I guess if one is able to make do with an existing setup for a while, great. But as a plan going forward this is nothing I'd count on.

slowcentury
gettin' sounds

Post by slowcentury » Fri Jul 27, 2012 6:30 pm

Im using 003 and subscribed to the "if it's not broke, dont fix it" mentality with my recording set up. For some reason it was a huge pain to get the 003 working on my system so I stuck with XP rather than going through more potential hassle. But now im feeling the draw to better conversion and ultimately that means it's time to jump forward to a new computer and a new DAW.

gearandguitars
audio school

Re: Talk me into a new DAW, Pro Tools I think we're done...

Post by gearandguitars » Mon Sep 24, 2012 2:23 pm

slowcentury wrote:Im a PC user, please convince me to ditch PT.
If you are a PC user I think you owe it to yourself to try out Sonar. If you want to try and stick it out with PT, I agree you should contemplate migrating to a Mac.

if you want to split the difference, there's always Cubase which is also cross-platform compatible.

I'm a Sonar user (primarily) but still have many other DAW's on both Mac/PC for compatibility and project porting. I'm still on PT8 LE on my Mac as I mostly use it as a delivery file format (with Unity gain Stems) after having done the sessions in Sonar on the PC.

There are some issues w/ Sonar that bug me, but there are always work arounds. The trick I think is to find a platform that works pretty well for you, and go deep.

here's the "No Zero Bar" Issues in Sonar, and how to get around it w/ "Make Your Own Markers."

http://gearandguitars.blogspot.com/2012 ... oblem.html

GooberNumber9
tinnitus

Post by GooberNumber9 » Tue Sep 25, 2012 1:35 pm

I find everything else is trying to be as good as Pro Tools at some lower (or even higher) price. I'm using Reaper because like everything else it's about 90% as good as Pro Tools, but unlike everything else it's less than 10% of the price of Pro Tools. The #1 thing I miss about Pro Tools is the fact that all of my favorite plug-ins seem to be RTAS/AS only, the #2 thing being the editing and take comping.

I ran PT on both Windows and Mac and I agree that the Mac experience is better. The biggest downside (this was a couple years ago, not sure about today) is that every time a new update for OSX came out I had to wait until PT supported it, and then I had to download the combo updater instead of using the auto update feature or it would break PT.

On the front of sticking with one platform: I agree with that also because if you're like me, you have plug-ins, and not all plug-ins can go with all platforms. With Pro Tools, you can be pretty confident that you'll have access to the best plug-ins going forward, as well as retain the ability to go back to old session files and keep all of your existing plug-ins.

Nick Sevilla
on a wing and a prayer

Post by Nick Sevilla » Tue Sep 25, 2012 2:07 pm

GooberNumber9 wrote:SNIP

I ran PT on both Windows and Mac and I agree that the Mac experience is better. The biggest downside (this was a couple years ago, not sure about today) is that every time a new update for OSX came out I had to wait until PT supported it, and then I had to download the combo updater instead of using the auto update feature or it would break PT.

On the front of sticking with one platform: I agree with that also because if you're like me, you have plug-ins, and not all plug-ins can go with all platforms. With Pro Tools, you can be pretty confident that you'll have access to the best plug-ins going forward, as well as retain the ability to go back to old session files and keep all of your existing plug-ins.
Hi,
I usually am behind on my Mac OS updates by two versions.
"If it ain't broke..."
And yes, once you know a platforms, then you can get on with the business of music making, and not DAW learning curve hell.
ProTools may not be the prettiest, nor have a million bells and whistles, but...

IT WORKS. I only ever get crashes when I get a new plug in... which is a couple of times a year. And this usually gets resolved quickly by the plug in company.
It does NOT distract with unnecessary features.
It has a good support group and tech support, at least for the HD version, which is excellent.

Cheers

blungo2
re-cappin' neve

Post by blungo2 » Tue Sep 25, 2012 4:54 pm

Well i gotta plug mixbus some more. For tracking and mixing it has a great work flow, not full of bells and whistles but eq and compression built into every channel (like a console) is incredibly handy for on the fly tweaks. I still use my uad plugins for heavy lifting, but i'm quite happy with those built into mixbus. Editing is easy too and i might be crazy, but i swear mixes done with it sound better than the two other programs i was using.

Mane1234
re-cappin' neve

Post by Mane1234 » Tue Oct 02, 2012 8:13 pm

I've had the chance to compare Pro Tools (Digi 002 running PT 7.something) to the Presonus Studio One recently and I have to say at least from the sound of it the Presonus has my attention. I haven't had a chance to work with it enough to compare workflows or learning curves but just in terms of throwing up some mics the Studio One sounds much more detailed and transparent. It's not that I don't like PT anymore and I'll keep using it at home but right now for recording my band we're going with Presonus and I've already put the free version on my laptop to start learning the basics. Good luck. Sometimes change is good.
Of course I've had it in the ear before.....

Nick Sevilla
on a wing and a prayer

Post by Nick Sevilla » Tue Oct 02, 2012 8:48 pm

Mane1234 wrote:I've had the chance to compare Pro Tools (Digi 002 running PT 7.something) to the Presonus Studio One recently and I have to say at least from the sound of it the Presonus has my attention. I haven't had a chance to work with it enough to compare workflows or learning curves but just in terms of throwing up some mics the Studio One sounds much more detailed and transparent. It's not that I don't like PT anymore and I'll keep using it at home but right now for recording my band we're going with Presonus and I've already put the free version on my laptop to start learning the basics. Good luck. Sometimes change is good.
Hi,
Just wanted to know which audio converter you are using with the Studio One... you're not the first person I've heard to like Studio One...