Talk me into a new DAW, Pro Tools I think we're done...

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

slowcentury
gettin' sounds

Talk me into a new DAW, Pro Tools I think we're done...

Post by slowcentury » Thu Jul 19, 2012 7:59 pm

Im a PC user, please convince me to ditch PT.

Gregg Juke
cryogenically thawing

Post by Gregg Juke » Thu Jul 19, 2012 8:22 pm

Sonar has been very good to us, and Sound Forge has always been an excellent two-track editor, and from what I understand, the new version is pretty much a multi-track DAW...

GJ

Nick Sevilla
on a wing and a prayer

Post by Nick Sevilla » Thu Jul 19, 2012 8:51 pm

I think get a Mac, before ditching PT.
Howling at the neighbors. Hoping they have more mic cables.

dfuruta
re-cappin' neve

Post by dfuruta » Fri Jul 20, 2012 1:58 pm

Reaper is cheap, powerful, and has the best support of anything.

casey campbell
buyin' a studio

Post by casey campbell » Wed Jul 25, 2012 7:20 am

My first choice is Sonar.

My second is Reaper.

Both great.

mrpicholas
alignin' 24-trk

Post by mrpicholas » Wed Jul 25, 2012 7:44 am

Check out the demo of Presonus Studio One. I converted and have no desire to go back. It's the smoothest workflow I've seen. It doesn't get in the way of the process and I've been working with PT users, trading files back and forth and it works great.

blungo2
re-cappin' neve

Post by blungo2 » Wed Jul 25, 2012 8:56 am

I'm not sure this is helpful as some of my observations are probably based on dumbness and general ineptitude, but here goes.

I love reaper, i think almost everything about it is great, with one big exception. Whenever i try to bring in files from another program i always have tremendous issues. I've been on the reaper forum and followed all the advice i've gotten but it still happens. Some on the forums have denied that this issue can even be possible, still it's consistant.

Abelton live is a great program for music creation and a wonderful tool, but for recording it has a ton of issues for me, from glitches on playback to random crashes, to just general weirdness.

I've been toying with harrison mixbus for a little bit and it looks really promising. At first it was a bit buggy, but i think it's more stable now. It's set up like an analog recording console and the price is right. It seems really promising to me and the way it handles bussing is very cool.

;ivlunsdystf
ghost haunting audio students
Location: The Great Frontier of the Southern Anoka Sand Plain

Post by ;ivlunsdystf » Wed Jul 25, 2012 1:52 pm

blungo2 wrote:
I love reaper, i think almost everything about it is great, with one big exception. Whenever i try to bring in files from another program i always have tremendous issues. I've been on the reaper forum and followed all the advice i've gotten but it still happens. Some on the forums have denied that this issue can even be possible, still it's consistant.
*another ship crashing on shore where many others have crashed*

That's weird that you can't bring in files. This is like aiff or wav files or whatever? Or are you trying to import entire projects? Huh

(big Reaper enthusiast here, but if I were recording for hire I'd have Sonar or probably even ProTools)

chris harris
speech impediment

Post by chris harris » Wed Jul 25, 2012 2:04 pm

You should switch because the grass is greener.

Except, it's not.

I've switched two different times, both because of professional obligation. I've used Cubase, Digital Performer, and Pro Tools extensively. I've dabbled in Reaper, Mixbuss, and a couple of others. For the most part, all of these programs do the same things. They just call operations and tools by different names and hide them in different menus.

If this is for your own personal use, I recommend picking one and sticking with it. It's much more useful for the home-recordist to be an expert at one platform, rather than chasing some mythical improvement from switching. If you're using this stuff professionally, I recommend staying with Pro Tools. You already have a head start on professional proficiency and it's what 99% of the clients who bring in outside work will be using.

CedarSound
pushin' record

Post by CedarSound » Wed Jul 25, 2012 3:21 pm

Long time Cubase user, then short time Pro Tools user, now a die hard Reaper fan. I don't know why, but Reaper is the most intuitive for me. That said, I agree with Chris... when you get right down to it, all of these programs are fundamentally doing the same thing...recording digital audio. So, just pick the program that makes the most sense to you. Good luck in your search.

blungo2
re-cappin' neve

Post by blungo2 » Wed Jul 25, 2012 4:30 pm

;ivlunsdystf wrote:
blungo2 wrote:

That's weird that you can't bring in files. This is like aiff or wav files or whatever? Or are you trying to import entire projects? Huh

(big Reaper enthusiast here, but if I were recording for hire I'd have Sonar or probably even ProTools)
Just wav files, they come in, but play in super slow motion. I can workaround it by speeding up the files, but the slow down isn't consistant. This is independent of interfaces as well. I'm not worried about it anymore.

kinger
steve albini likes it

Post by kinger » Thu Jul 26, 2012 7:34 am

blungo2 wrote:
;ivlunsdystf wrote:
blungo2 wrote:

Just wav files, they come in, but play in super slow motion. I can workaround it by speeding up the files, but the slow down isn't consistant. This is independent of interfaces as well. I'm not worried about it anymore.
Are you running at the same sample rate as the files you're importing? Also, under Project Settings->Timebase, do you have Time selected as opposed to Beats?

blungo2
re-cappin' neve

Post by blungo2 » Thu Jul 26, 2012 7:40 am

Yep.

Nick Sevilla
on a wing and a prayer

Post by Nick Sevilla » Thu Jul 26, 2012 8:11 am

blungo2 wrote: Just wav files, they come in, but play in super slow motion. I can workaround it by speeding up the files, but the slow down isn't consistant. This is independent of interfaces as well. I'm not worried about it anymore.
How much slower? Half speed?

Are you running a session at 24/96 and your interface is set accidentally at 48k? That would make your audio playback at half speed.

Which audio interface are you using, and can it run at a different sample rate than ProTools? I remember with Apogees, the first third party interfaces one could use with ProTools, that you HAD to check the sample rate setting every time, because ProTools could not change it from within the software settings.

And I have seen other third party hardware hijinks happening.
Howling at the neighbors. Hoping they have more mic cables.

;ivlunsdystf
ghost haunting audio students
Location: The Great Frontier of the Southern Anoka Sand Plain

Post by ;ivlunsdystf » Thu Jul 26, 2012 9:54 am

Look, this just turned back into Reaper troubleshooting fest! sorry