Fire-resistant fabric to cover acoustic panels?

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

crow
steve albini likes it

Fire-resistant fabric to cover acoustic panels?

Post by crow » Sat Jul 21, 2012 2:57 pm

Hi all,

I'm about to build a bunch of absorbers and bass traps with Owens-Corning 703, and am trying to decide what kind of fabric to cover them with. I've been using burlap, but I'm a little worried about its eagerness to burn, should a fire break out. Does anyone out there know of a more fire-safe alternative?

Randyman...
takin' a dinner break

Post by Randyman... » Sat Jul 21, 2012 3:52 pm

I use Burlap - But treat it with spray-on "Fire Retardant" you can buy at most fabric shops. While I haven't actually tried to set fire to my panels to test its effectiveness, I do feel safer about them being treated - and I like the way Burlap looks in my room...

Good on 'ya for considering this aspect of Acoustic Treatments! :!:
Randy V.
Audio-Dude / Musician / PC Guru / Crazy Guy

norton
buyin' a studio

Post by norton » Sun Jul 22, 2012 8:57 am

Why is everyone so hung up on fire proof fabric?

So much of what is in your studio isn't fireproof.... Most folks are very very very unlikely to have an open flame is close proximity to their acoustic treatments. So in reality i see fire transmission as an extremely slight risk.

Much less likely than your tube amp arcing a tube and flaming out. Which in over twenty years of abusing tube amps....I have only seen once. And that happened in a rehearsal space covered in highly flammable foam. Nothing burned down except the tube.

Sorry for the ramble....pick fabric you like. If it is reasonably "fabric like" it will work fine for you. If it is very rigid it will likely be more reflective at high freq's.

crow
steve albini likes it

Post by crow » Sun Jul 22, 2012 9:24 am

I see your point. I'm not under the impression that my acoustic treatments are the only fire-safety issue in the place, and I don't think it's necessary to find a 100% fireproof fabric. However, I do think there is a big safety difference between fabric that is somewhat reluctant to ignite (perhaps treated burlap) and fabric that ignites at the slightest provocation (untreated burlap). It could be the difference between finding some singed fabric near the amp and the whole studio (which is attached to my house) burning to the ground.

I'm no expert, of course. I just figured I'd give the issue a little attention before I bought and installed a whole bunch of whatever fabric I choose.

wren
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by wren » Sun Jul 22, 2012 9:53 am

Fire marshals (if you're running a commercial studio) are a huge, huge concern. They tend to be total bastards, in my experience, and they'll probably zero in on something on the walls wrapped in fabric and demand to see documented evidence of its fireproofing. I'd doubt even a receipt for spray-on fire retardant would satisfy them - you'd probably have to prove that the fabric was made of something that was both fireproof and was something the fire marshal's heard of (if they're unfamiliar with it, it's not fireproof. They're totally set in their ways and won't accept any evidence that they might be incorrect, no matter how well-documented).

Can you tell I've had a series of very bad experiences with fire marshals?
"I don't need time, I need a deadline." -Duke Ellington

"I liked the holes in it as much as I liked what was in them." -Tom Waits

dfuruta
re-cappin' neve

Post by dfuruta » Sun Jul 22, 2012 11:30 am

It costs, what, $20 to buy a bottle of Flame Stop or something similar. Given that it makes your studio a little more safe there's really no reason not to do so.

When I built my acoustic panels, I used a fire resistant fabric that I got on clearance from Dazian fabrics. I tried burning a piece, and it didn't catch fire.
Last edited by dfuruta on Sun Jul 22, 2012 10:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Scodiddly
genitals didn't survive the freeze

Post by Scodiddly » Sun Jul 22, 2012 4:05 pm

That it is impossible to eliminate risk doesn't mean that it's a bad idea to reduce risk. Or to reduce the spread of damage.

crow
steve albini likes it

Post by crow » Sun Jul 22, 2012 7:51 pm

Thanks for the heads up on Dazian! I'll give them a holler tomorrow and see about getting some samples. Until then, I think burlap and spray on retardant sound like a good bet. Thanks for the replies, everyone. I'll post again as things develop.

chris harris
speech impediment

Post by chris harris » Mon Jul 23, 2012 6:37 am

Scodiddly wrote:That it is impossible to eliminate risk doesn't mean that it's a bad idea to reduce risk. Or to reduce the spread of damage.
Exactly... And, as mentioned, if we're talking about a commercial recording space, this isn't optional.

chris harris
speech impediment

Post by chris harris » Mon Jul 23, 2012 6:40 am

norton wrote:Why is everyone so hung up on fire proof fabric?

So much of what is in your studio isn't fireproof.... Most folks are very very very unlikely to have an open flame is close proximity to their acoustic treatments. So in reality i see fire transmission as an extremely slight risk.

Much less likely than your tube amp arcing a tube and flaming out. Which in over twenty years of abusing tube amps....I have only seen once. And that happened in a rehearsal space covered in highly flammable foam. Nothing burned down except the tube.

Sorry for the ramble....pick fabric you like. If it is reasonably "fabric like" it will work fine for you. If it is very rigid it will likely be more reflective at high freq's.
Lots of people complain about government regulations... but, posts like this are exactly why we need them. It was quite an expense and quite a hassle to conform to my City's codes. But, in the end, when I go into someone else's business, I'm glad they exist, because that other person may think that safety is no big deal, or not worth the expense.

norton
buyin' a studio

Post by norton » Mon Jul 23, 2012 7:19 am

Not complaining about govt/safety or building codes.

If you are commercial and going through a permit channel, I get it. But most folks aren't, but still demand the guilders of Maine or some such equivalent.

I've used it a TON. It's nice fabric. But it's very expensive....

The point I am making is this: don't get bent outta shape over the fire proof ness of your acoustic treatments, because...That lava lamp and tapestry are going to be far more problematic.

dfuruta
re-cappin' neve

Post by dfuruta » Mon Jul 23, 2012 9:11 am

norton wrote:The point I am making is this: don't get bent outta shape over the fire proof ness of your acoustic treatments, because...That lava lamp and tapestry are going to be far more problematic.
Rather than go with acoustic treatments that could easily catch fire, isn't the right answer here to move the lava lamp away from the tapestry?

crow
steve albini likes it

Post by crow » Mon Jul 23, 2012 11:34 am

I wouldn't even be so concerned except for the danger presented by my incendiary guitar playing.

norton
buyin' a studio

Post by norton » Mon Jul 23, 2012 3:27 pm

Indeed, Hot licks and blazing speed are always hotter than lava.

GIK Acoustics
pluggin' in mics

Post by GIK Acoustics » Tue Sep 04, 2012 9:32 pm

The Guilford of Maine FR-701 that is commonly referenced is really great. It is quite expensive compared to other fabrics, but it is very worth it for some for a myriad of reasons:

*Flame Retardant
*Acoustically Transparent
*66" Wide (almost two yards wide)
*Tons of available colors
*Tight weave (less fibers able to escape, unlike most Burlap)

And of course, it looks really great.
Alexander Reynolds
GIK Acoustics USA | (770) 986 2789
GIK Acoustics Europe | +44 (0) 20 7558 8976 (UK)