Need a 2-or-4 channel interface for my Tascam 424mkiii

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

thefanbelow
pluggin' in mics

Need a 2-or-4 channel interface for my Tascam 424mkiii

Post by thefanbelow » Sat Jul 21, 2012 2:59 pm

I need a interface that I can record from my 424 on to that will then let me mix it into my computer.

It needs to have enough gain to drive my 57 without hiss and preferably will have phantom power.

Budget is around $300.

Desired sounds are similar to Iron & Wine, Elliott Smith, etc

Also, does anyone know why I am hearing significant hiss when recording without dbx on? I thought hiss was commonplace but there is a ton of it and I don't like the sound when dbx is on. Is it possible that it is due to turning my trim all the way to the right on the channel recording my 57 (because maybe the onboard pre can't drive it without all that hiss and I need a interface)? FWIW, I was recording with normal bias tapes (waiting for my high bias ones in the mail)

Thanks.

chris harris
speech impediment

Post by chris harris » Sat Jul 21, 2012 4:21 pm

Yes, the hiss is definitely caused by turning the trim all the way to the right. When you do that, and then make a sound into that 57, don't your meters go all the way to the top and stay there? That's evidence of poor gain staging. Judging by the influences you list, I'm assuming that this music is practically whispered singing with quiet acoustic guitar? Honestly, your 57 isn't gonna be much use in that type of music unless you have a clean, quiet preamp with lots of gain, and a medium that isn't famous for creating a ton of hiss.

thefanbelow
pluggin' in mics

Post by thefanbelow » Sat Jul 21, 2012 4:47 pm

chris harris wrote:Yes, the hiss is definitely caused by turning the trim all the way to the right. When you do that, and then make a sound into that 57, don't your meters go all the way to the top and stay there? That's evidence of poor gain staging. Judging by the influences you list, I'm assuming that this music is practically whispered singing with quiet acoustic guitar? Honestly, your 57 isn't gonna be much use in that type of music unless you have a clean, quiet preamp with lots of gain, and a medium that isn't famous for creating a ton of hiss.
They hit red when I record but I was trying to get that to get tape saturation. I just started using this yesterday so I'm really new. It's quiet acoustic fingerpicking and some singing. I know the 2 musicians above recorded their demos and first LP's with a 4-track and a 57, so I am unsure how far off I am in terms of gear from their set ups.

Nick Sevilla
on a wing and a prayer

Post by Nick Sevilla » Sun Jul 22, 2012 2:30 am

Hi thefanbelow,

Hitting tape into the red is not the way you get tape saturation.

You get tape saturation simply by using tape normally.

Judging from your two posts, you may benefit from getting a more sensitive microphone than the Shure SM57 for your needs.

How,loud are you playing and singing into the mic?

Cheers
Howling at the neighbors. Hoping they have more mic cables.

thefanbelow
pluggin' in mics

Post by thefanbelow » Sun Jul 22, 2012 12:29 pm

Nick Sevilla wrote:Hi thefanbelow,

Hitting tape into the red is not the way you get tape saturation.

You get tape saturation simply by using tape normally.

Judging from your two posts, you may benefit from getting a more sensitive microphone than the Shure SM57 for your needs.

How,loud are you playing and singing into the mic?

Cheers
I thought the way to really get is to drive the tape hard?

I also have 2 condensers that I could use but I like the 57.. Hmm.. I am fingerpicking but putting it right on the hole just to get levels down and what not. I am thinking about picking up a cheap Art Tube Pre to help drive the 57 without the hiss.

Magnetic Services
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by Magnetic Services » Sun Jul 22, 2012 6:22 pm

I think you have two seperate issues here. Am I correct in saying that you want...

A: Cleaner recordings

B: An audio interface for your computer with either two or four inputs

Better to tackle A before B. The high bias tape would probably help, but there is no escape from hiss in the tape world, especially the cassette word.

My advice is to record fairly bright tracks, at good levels (no need to "slam" it, just get healthy levels). Do this even if you are ultimately going for a darker sound. This will allow you to dial back your high shelves as much as you like (or not!), and make hiss less audible. A good preamp will help but don't just drop a ton on one thinking it will solve your hiss.

As for B, there are plenty of threads here for small interfaces and almost all of them can be obtained for under 300.

As an aside, here's an easy place to start in terms of setup:

Track one: Close miked vocal, Large diaphragm condenser, optional compression on the way in.

Track two: Close up on the guitar (fretboard, bridge, strap, whatever you fancy.) The 57 might be best for this track, if you use it.

Track three: Omnidirectional or cardioid-patterned microphone at least three feet away from you (patience and time really benefit you here, in placing it)

Bounce to track four or use it for another room mic, bass track, harmony, etc.

EDIT: didn't see that you mentioned phantom power. A little pre like the ART could do that for you, but there are also phantom-only boxes. You may also be able to do this with whichever interface you get, but not in the way you may think.

Hook it up to your computer (just to power it, assuming it's usb, firewire, etc.)

Plug in your mics

set the unit so that the outputs give you just the signal from their respective input (using the M-box 2 as an eample, this would mean turning the "mix" knob all the way to the left [just input signal, no signal from computer])

Now connect the outputs to the tascam.

Make sure you aren't clipping the pre's.

Record!

Later on you'll use the interface normally, to run your tracks into your computer.

chris harris
speech impediment

Post by chris harris » Mon Jul 23, 2012 6:42 am

What is it that you like about the 57? It can't be the sound, because you say you're not getting the sound you're after. Are you just partial to it because you've read that some of your favorite artists used it? There's no cred that comes from using tools that aren't working for you.

And, a cheap Art preamp isn't likely to improve your situation.

KennyLusk
dead but not forgotten

Re: Need a 2-or-4 channel interface for my Tascam 424mkiii

Post by KennyLusk » Mon Jul 23, 2012 9:32 am

thefanbelow wrote: I thought hiss was commonplace but there is a ton of it and I don't like the sound when dbx is on.
dbx sucks
"The mushroom states its own position very clearly. It says, "I require the nervous system of a mammal. Do you have one handy?" Terrence McKenna

thefanbelow
pluggin' in mics

Post by thefanbelow » Mon Jul 23, 2012 10:46 am

jackalope season wrote: Plug in your mics

set the unit so that the outputs give you just the signal from their respective input (using the M-box 2 as an eample, this would mean turning the "mix" knob all the way to the left [just input signal, no signal from computer])

Now connect the outputs to the tascam.

Later on you'll use the interface normally, to run your tracks into your computer.
It turns out that my hiss is largely coming from normal bias tapes.. Just ordered some high ones and hopefully it'll at least subdue some of it. I have no problem with hiss but this literally is unbearable.

Anyway, IDK if I have been plugging the mics in right. I've been plugging the XLR from the mic into the tascam, and then a 1/4" line out from the pre into the 1/4" line in on the Tascam. Is that right?

With what you said about the unit just giving signal from their respective input, i'm a little confused. Do you mean I should be turning down the trim almost all the way on the Tascam and only controlling the gain on my outboard pre amp (basically bypassing the onboard pre?)

Finally (sorry!) how do I just run the output of the interface into the computer? I thought I needed a A/D converter. FWIW, I'm using a M-Audio Mobile Pre USB.