Pensado's Place

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

shedshrine
deaf.

Pensado's Place

Post by shedshrine » Mon Jul 23, 2012 12:03 pm

I'm sure many of you have already checked Pensado's Place online,
but if you havent' there are amazing hour long video interviews with engineer/producers on here. There are about 75 interviews up at this point.
Michael Brauer, Ross Hogarth, Bruce Swedien, Ed Cherney etc..Recording Techniques abound.

BrontoSoreAss
gettin' sounds

Post by BrontoSoreAss » Mon Jul 23, 2012 6:46 pm

This is awesome, had not come across this before, thank you for sharing!

ithoughticouldrelate
pluggin' in mics

Post by ithoughticouldrelate » Mon Jul 23, 2012 8:05 pm

BrontoSoreAss wrote:This is awesome, had not come across this before, thank you for sharing!
Same here. Thanks for sharing! I know what I'm going to be doing with my evenings this week...

route-electrique
gettin' sounds

Post by route-electrique » Fri Jul 27, 2012 3:31 pm

Love that show and i hope they can keep it going :).
♫ "Beware the handshake that hides the snake. Beware the pat on the back - it just might hold you back." ♫

T-rex
dead but not forgotten

Post by T-rex » Fri Jul 27, 2012 4:30 pm

ithoughticouldrelate wrote:
BrontoSoreAss wrote:This is awesome, had not come across this before, thank you for sharing!
Same here. Thanks for sharing! I know what I'm going to be doing with my evenings this week...
Agreed. Love the mixerman interview. Pensado kind of creeps me out though. I had a high school science teacher that he is eerily similar too. . .

Jon Nolan
tinnitus

Post by Jon Nolan » Thu Aug 09, 2012 1:22 pm

these are pretty awesome. i've only watched a few - so maybe he's gotten better or i've missed the super duper ones - but pensado isn't a terribly good interviewer imo. during the mixerman vid, i was like "shooosh! let the man speak!" he needs to ask some open ended questions and then let the GUEST TALK. Gah.

that, and the fact that his manager is distracting, and serves very little purpose. it seemed like he was only there to keep pensado from forgetting to thank the sponsors and stuff. i just felt like the shows could be paying off more than they are in terms of info/getting a feel for the guests philosophy and technique. i hope they keep improving, though. this is a great concept.

fossiltooth
carpal tunnel

Post by fossiltooth » Thu Aug 09, 2012 3:01 pm

I'm glad that Pensado is doing what he's doing and that people are liking it. He seems like a really nice guy too. I've tried to get into it, but haven't had as much luck as I'd like yet. I'm still waiting for Larry and the crew at Tape Op to put out something like this!! Video or podcast. Now that I would subscribe to in a heartbeat!!

T-rex
dead but not forgotten

Post by T-rex » Mon Aug 13, 2012 8:24 pm

Jon Nolan wrote:these are pretty awesome. i've only watched a few - so maybe he's gotten better or i've missed the super duper ones - but pensado isn't a terribly good interviewer imo. during the mixerman vid, i was like "shooosh! let the man speak!" he needs to ask some open ended questions and then let the GUEST TALK. Gah.

that, and the fact that his manager is distracting, and serves very little purpose. it seemed like he was only there to keep pensado from forgetting to thank the sponsors and stuff. i just felt like the shows could be paying off more than they are in terms of info/getting a feel for the guests philosophy and technique. . .
+1. Seriously, you just stated exactly what I was thinking.
[Asked whether his shades are prescription or just to look cool]
Guy: Well, I am the drummer.

fossiltooth
carpal tunnel

Post by fossiltooth » Tue Aug 14, 2012 6:38 am

T-rex wrote:
Jon Nolan wrote:these are pretty awesome. i've only watched a few - so maybe he's gotten better or i've missed the super duper ones - but pensado isn't a terribly good interviewer imo. during the mixerman vid, i was like "shooosh! let the man speak!" he needs to ask some open ended questions and then let the GUEST TALK. Gah.

that, and the fact that his manager is distracting, and serves very little purpose. it seemed like he was only there to keep pensado from forgetting to thank the sponsors and stuff. i just felt like the shows could be paying off more than they are in terms of info/getting a feel for the guests philosophy and technique. . .
+1. Seriously, you just stated exactly what I was thinking.
Yep, that's kind of my take on it as well. Glad we're being so diplomatic about it though!

Jon Nolan
tinnitus

Post by Jon Nolan » Tue Aug 14, 2012 8:15 pm

fossiltooth wrote:
....Glad we're being so diplomatic about it though!

I hope so! Just my two cents of course. It's just that it's so close to being SO GOOD.

LimpyLoo
pluggin' in mics

Post by LimpyLoo » Sat Sep 01, 2012 11:45 pm

I very happily watched the first 80 or so episodes.

I'm happy with the education that I got, but I don't want to make records that sound like his. Not one bit. The music in the ITL's were such a turn-off (and his lazy loop-points didn't help). I adored some of the early interviews (e.g. Bruce Swedien) and some of the episodes I watched upwards of 5 times. But his guests are getting less and less interesting to me.

I appreciate the show, I really do, but honestly I learned more from Gabriel Roth's Red Bull Music Academy lecture/interview and his 'Shitty Is Pretty: How to Make a Funk 45' than I did from 80-some-odd episodes of Pensado's Place.

DorianListens
audio school graduate

Post by DorianListens » Tue Sep 25, 2012 11:15 am

I think he's hilarious to watch, the whole aesthetic of the show is just bizarre.
The Manager, Pensado's rather stoner-esq demeanor, his obsession with talking about himself, everything.

That, coupled with the gems that do occasionally slip out as far as technique goes, and it's a winner in my book!

+1 for a Tape Op video interview series!