I'll send you $5 in the mail if you answer my 424 questions!

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

thefanbelow
pluggin' in mics

I'll send you $5 in the mail if you answer my 424 questions!

Post by thefanbelow » Mon Jul 23, 2012 2:12 pm

I will seriously send you this, I need a list of EVERYTHING I need to do what I want to do. All I want to do is dump tracks from my 4-track into Garageband (as many simultaneously as I possibly can)

Gear I have:
-Tascam 424mkiii
-M-Audio Mobile Pre USB - has 2 channels, and 2 1/4" unbalanced outputs
Here is an image of it from behind that will show you exactly what it has: http://www.acorn-designs.com/images/Mob ... llouts.jpg
-2 condensor mics
-Shure SM57

-Gear I need:
???

So basically I will not be recording more than 2 channels at a time.

My questions:

1. When connecting my pre-amp to my 424, is the best way to turn off the trim on the 424 and control the levels through the pre-amp, or is this something that is per-situation?
2. What do I need that I don't have to bring my tape work to my DAW? I mean like literally, everything, including cables.
3. Is the way to connect the pre-amp to the 424 by putting XLR into my mic and the other end in to the 424, then running a 1/4" out of the pre into the 424? This is what I've been doing but I was thinking there might be a different way.
4. Do I need an analog/digital converter, or will I be able to dump tracks through my MobilePre, and what cables do I need to run from my Pre into my computer? I don't have an external soundcard.

Magnetic Services
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by Magnetic Services » Mon Jul 23, 2012 8:11 pm

You've started like three or four threads about your 4-track problems so lets try to solve this once and for all right here.

You say all you want to do is convert your tape tracks to digital files. Why, then, are you asking about mics? It's two seperate processes; recording on your tascam and then subsequentely dumping the tracks into garage band. You may be able to use your interface during recording as a preamp; like I explained in one of your other threads, but I think you're thinking that you'd be doing both steps at once. You can either use your interface as two preamps during recording (and ONLY because it supplies phantom power. The preamps themselves are nothing more special than the ones already in your tascam), or use it to run your final tracks into your computer. Not both at once.

There are three ways to dump your tracks into your computer.

-Mix it on the tascam and connect the two Line outputs (next to minitor outs) to your interface.

-Dump the individual tracks two at a time into your DAW (you may get some drift problems when you go to line up your tracks. This is because the motor physically cannot play the tracks back at a perfectly constant speed each time, like a computer would)

-Dump all 4 tracks at once into your DAW. Tp do this you'd need to upgrade to an interface with four inputs. You'll also need RCA>1/4" or xlr adapters to go from the tascam to the interface.

Also, you don't need to be offering people money for answers. This is supposed to be a DIY type deal. All you need to do is Keep it all in one thread and keep the conversation going.

dfuruta
re-cappin' neve

Re: I'll send you $5 in the mail if you answer my 424 questi

Post by dfuruta » Mon Jul 23, 2012 10:34 pm

I don't have a Tascam, but here.
thefanbelow wrote: 1. When connecting my pre-amp to my 424, is the best way to turn off the trim on the 424 and control the levels through the pre-amp, or is this something that is per-situation?
Try it both ways and use whatever sounds best (the least noisy). If you don't hear a difference, don't worry about it.
2. What do I need that I don't have to bring my tape work to my DAW? I mean like literally, everything, including cables.
You need a (edit: two) 1/4" -> 1/4" cables (TRS, I assume), and you need to plug the outputs of your Tascam (like jackalope season told you) into the inputs of your M-Audio.
3. Is the way to connect the pre-amp to the 424 by putting XLR into my mic and the other end in to the 424, then running a 1/4" out of the pre into the 424? This is what I've been doing but I was thinking there might be a different way.
This doesn't make any sense. If you're using the M-Audio box as a preamp, it should be like this:
microphone -> maudio -> tascam.

If you're plugging the microphone into the 424, then you're not using the M-Audio as a preamp.
4. Do I need an analog/digital converter, or will I be able to dump tracks through my MobilePre, and what cables do I need to run from my Pre into my computer? I don't have an external soundcard.
Your Mobile Pre includes an analog/digital converter. Your Mobile Pre USB plugs into your computer with a USB cable, as one might suspect from the name.

If you like, you can think of the Mobile Pre as an external soundcard.
Last edited by dfuruta on Tue Jul 24, 2012 10:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

fossiltooth
carpal tunnel

Post by fossiltooth » Tue Jul 24, 2012 10:01 am

Don't worry, dude. This is very simple. Please don't over-think it too much. You essentially have 3 options.

1) Recommended: Buy a 4-channel A/D interface to replace your 2-channel MobilePre. Then, plug the 4 "tape outs" from your Tascam into the 4 inputs on your new interface. I'm certain you can figure out the rest.

2) Use what you have, and just do a stereo mix of your 4-track tunes into your computer using the 2 channels that are already available to you.

3) Not Recommended: Use what you have and dump all 4 tracks, 2-at-a time using your current 2-channel interface. Sync will be a nightmare.

That's it! Choose an option and just do it already. Please keep your $5 and apply it toward a good beginner's book on audio and signal flow. Something like The Audio Pro Home Recording Course Vol 1 or The Hal Leonard Recording Method Vol 1 would probably be a good place to start.
Last edited by fossiltooth on Fri Jul 27, 2012 7:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

banana brains
gettin' sounds

Post by banana brains » Tue Jul 24, 2012 6:56 pm

You sound pretty new to all this. Here is my advice. Use the four track to learn a little about the recording process. Forget about using your computer. Seriously, ditch the interface and use the pres on the tascam, at least for a little bit. Then add your interface pre. Listen to the difference, does it sound better? I guarantee if you spend a couple of months trying to get some good sounds out of your tascam you will be much better prepared to move on to the next step.

Then try recording just using the computer. Record the same songs that you did on the tascam and compare them. What difference do you hear? Where does the difference come from...different pres, digital versus analog, noise, performance, etc.

Then try combining the two and see what you can come up with. You need to learn a little bit about signal path and connections. Hang in there, you'll can learn alot on the web, or buy a good book.

Brett Siler
moves faders with mind

Post by Brett Siler » Tue Jul 24, 2012 8:35 pm

You guys aren't very good capitalist's, turning down that money. You could buy like 5 soda pops with that!!

dfuruta
re-cappin' neve

Post by dfuruta » Tue Jul 24, 2012 9:16 pm

I'm actually a little confused: if you have a preamp/usb interface and you're trying to get your stuff into garageband in the end anyway, why aren't you just recording directly to garageband? Is this a fetishistic thing with the 424?

Magnetic Services
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by Magnetic Services » Tue Jul 24, 2012 9:45 pm

dfuruta wrote:I'm actually a little confused: if you have a preamp/usb interface and you're trying to get your stuff into garageband in the end anyway, why aren't you just recording directly to garageband? Is this a fetishistic thing with the 424?
Yep. I actually have a statue of/shrine to the 424 made entirely from chewing gum in my closet.

dfuruta
re-cappin' neve

Post by dfuruta » Tue Jul 24, 2012 10:41 pm

Regular offerings of unspooled tape and broken drive belts...

;ivlunsdystf
ghost haunting audio students
Location: The Great Frontier of the Southern Anoka Sand Plain

Post by ;ivlunsdystf » Wed Jul 25, 2012 7:52 am

Does the 424 have RCA outputs that correspond to each of the 4 tracks? Most tascam cassette machines have these. These are handy, as they bypass the eq section of each channel.

Brett Siler
moves faders with mind

Post by Brett Siler » Wed Jul 25, 2012 2:52 pm

dfuruta wrote: Is this a fetishistic thing with the 424?
The 424MKIII is fun! I wrote and recorded my first solo album with that thing. It was great to learn on and overdriving it sounds cool. I kinda miss it... :cry:

thefanbelow
pluggin' in mics

Post by thefanbelow » Wed Jul 25, 2012 5:46 pm

Thanks to everyone who replied. I was able to do it by getting a RCA>1/4" and putting the L, and R into the tape outs for channel 1 (only one track so far, just trying it out).. Unfortunately it came out barely audible and with major hiss. I wonder if that's because it's a normal bias tape (still waiting for my high bias ones).

banana brains
gettin' sounds

Post by banana brains » Wed Jul 25, 2012 6:14 pm

1. Only use high bias tapes.

2. The 4 RCA output jacks on the back of the 424 are tape outputs, meaning they output what you have already recorded to tape. So, first record on "high bias" tape. Then, use the four tape outs and connect them to your interface (you'll need four inputs on your interface). Press play and the signal pulled from the tape will go to whatever you have hooked up to the tape outputs. You will probably need rca to 1/4 cables for this.

3. Using the method described above, I don't know if the signal from the tape outputs goes from the tape then through the mixer and then to the tape outputs?? If it does then you can make use of the Tascam mixer as your sending audio to your interface. If not, well, you won't be able to use the mixer functions after recording.

Magnetic Services
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by Magnetic Services » Wed Jul 25, 2012 8:46 pm

tdrop wrote:
3. Using the method described above, I don't know if the signal from the tape outputs goes from the tape then through the mixer and then to the tape outputs?? If it does then you can make use of the Tascam mixer as your sending audio to your interface. If not, well, you won't be able to use the mixer functions after recording.
I think the tape outputs bypass everything. If I were The Fan Below I'd just mix on the tascam (Is it even worth it if you're not going to use the eq, sends, etc?) and run my LR outs into garage band just to have a digital copy. Maybe also run all 4 tracks in after that just for the sake of archiving.

Having said that, I do use the tape outputs to send the tracks to 4 channels of my bigger mixer (for more versatile eq, inserts, and such). It would be neat if the tape outs were post-eq though!

Mane1234
re-cappin' neve

Post by Mane1234 » Wed Jul 25, 2012 11:07 pm

The tapeouts do bypass everything. It's what I'm using these days to record some stuff. Seriously Mr.Fanbelow. I know you want what you want and you want it now and to be able to use it all at once and everything but it just doesn't work that way. Slow your roll and learn everything about one or two pieces of gear at a time. Learn the basics of tape machines and microphones and then move on. Put in that time now on the front end of your journey and it will pay off in really cool ways later on. I'm guilty of the same thing. I posted a question about my situation not too long ago and if I'd stopped and just read the flippin manual I could have saved some time and saved the poster who gave me the answer some time. We all do it. Go forth and record. Spend a couple of hours reading topics using the search feature. You'll learn tons...
Of course I've had it in the ear before.....