I'll send you $5 in the mail if you answer my 424 questions!

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

;ivlunsdystf
ghost haunting audio students
Location: The Great Frontier of the Southern Anoka Sand Plain

Post by ;ivlunsdystf » Thu Jul 26, 2012 2:24 pm

*unnecessary blank post from my error*
Last edited by ;ivlunsdystf on Thu Jul 26, 2012 2:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

;ivlunsdystf
ghost haunting audio students
Location: The Great Frontier of the Southern Anoka Sand Plain

Post by ;ivlunsdystf » Thu Jul 26, 2012 2:24 pm

Mane1234 wrote:The tapeouts do bypass everything. It's what I'm using these days to record some stuff. Seriously Mr.Fanbelow. I know you want what you want and you want it now and to be able to use it all at once and everything but it just doesn't work that way. Slow your roll and learn everything about one or two pieces of gear at a time. Learn the basics of tape machines and microphones and then move on. Put in that time now on the front end of your journey and it will pay off in really cool ways later on. I'm guilty of the same thing. I posted a question about my situation not too long ago and if I'd stopped and just read the flippin manual I could have saved some time and saved the poster who gave me the answer some time. We all do it. Go forth and record. Spend a couple of hours reading topics using the search feature. You'll learn tons...
Let's give the OP the benefit of the doubt here, huh? and not start making a bunch of assumptions about him? He wants to get tracks off his 4track and he is asking for help. He did not ask for us to do editorializing about personality flaws that we might imagine him having. And he will learn by reading our responses anyway, which is AWESOME because learning is GOOD! Cool, thanks

banana brains
gettin' sounds

Post by banana brains » Thu Jul 26, 2012 6:23 pm

jackalope season wrote:
tdrop wrote:
3. Using the method described above, I don't know if the signal from the tape outputs goes from the tape then through the mixer and then to the tape outputs?? If it does then you can make use of the Tascam mixer as your sending audio to your interface. If not, well, you won't be able to use the mixer functions after recording.
I think the tape outputs bypass everything. If I were The Fan Below I'd just mix on the tascam (Is it even worth it if you're not going to use the eq, sends, etc?) and run my LR outs into garage band just to have a digital copy. Maybe also run all 4 tracks in after that just for the sake of archiving.

Having said that, I do use the tape outputs to send the tracks to 4 channels of my bigger mixer (for more versatile eq, inserts, and such). It would be neat if the tape outs were post-eq though!
I see your point, but I was actually thinking the opposite. You could get the tape sound going from the tape outs, but avoid Tascam's crappy mixer. Really the EQ on the 424 is not so good. I think it would be better to eq in the box. Just my humble opinion.

chris harris
speech impediment

Post by chris harris » Thu Jul 26, 2012 6:43 pm

Mane1234 wrote:The tapeouts do bypass everything. It's what I'm using these days to record some stuff. Seriously Mr.Fanbelow. I know you want what you want and you want it now and to be able to use it all at once and everything but it just doesn't work that way. Slow your roll and learn everything about one or two pieces of gear at a time. Learn the basics of tape machines and microphones and then move on. Put in that time now on the front end of your journey and it will pay off in really cool ways later on. I'm guilty of the same thing. I posted a question about my situation not too long ago and if I'd stopped and just read the flippin manual I could have saved some time and saved the poster who gave me the answer some time. We all do it. Go forth and record. Spend a couple of hours reading topics using the search feature. You'll learn tons...
I think this is fantastic advice. Given the multiple posts and the obvious frustrated confusion, I don't think you really made any assumptions that weren't completely obvious. I can't imagine the OP taking offense to this advice. This is quality advice.

I'm still not entirely sure from the OP's posts that they understand that with this particular tape machine, you've got to record to the tape, AND THEN dump that into the computer. Some posts make it seem that they're trying to record "through" the 424 into the computer. I think that "slowing your roll" and getting a grip on some of the basics would prevent everyone else from having to make unnecessarily confusing assumptions about what is being attempted.

chris harris
speech impediment

Re: I'll send you $5 in the mail if you answer my 424 questi

Post by chris harris » Thu Jul 26, 2012 7:09 pm

thefanbelow wrote:1. When connecting my pre-amp to my 424, is the best way to turn off the trim on the 424 and control the levels through the pre-amp, or is this something that is per-situation?
Do you have a manual for your 424? You can check it out here: http://www.dustblow.com/tascam/424_mk3.pdf

Looking over the MobilePre USB manual, it appears that it's not intended to be a stand-alone microphone preamp. It's a USB audio interface for your computer.

Plug your microphone into the microphone inputs on your 424mkIII and turn the "trim" up until you're getting a sound that you like. Keep your MobilePre on the shelf until it's time to dump the tape tracks into the computer.
thefanbelow wrote:2. What do I need that I don't have to bring my tape work to my DAW? I mean like literally, everything, including cables.
If you want to bring your individual tracks into your DAW for mixing, as you've indicated in another post, you need a new audio interface to replace your MobilePre. The MobilePre only has 2 input channels into your computer. You could do 2 tracks at a time, but you'll be doing a TON of advanced editing and shifting around of audio tracks in the computer to get them to line up properly. What you really want to do is dump all 4 channels at once. So, you need an interface with at least 4 inputs. You'll also need 4 cables with RCA connectors on one end, and whatever connectors correspond with your new interface's inputs on the other. That's literally everything you'll need to get your tape tracks into the DAW.
thefanbelow wrote:3. Is the way to connect the pre-amp to the 424 by putting XLR into my mic and the other end in to the 424, then running a 1/4" out of the pre into the 424? This is what I've been doing but I was thinking there might be a different way.
This question is quite confusing. You can't use your MobilePre as a mic preamp for your 424mkIII. So, as I said, put it aside until it's time to dump your tracks into the computer. For now, plug your mic into the Tascam and get busy recording onto those cassettes.
thefanbelow wrote:4. Do I need an analog/digital converter, or will I be able to dump tracks through my MobilePre, and what cables do I need to run from my Pre into my computer? I don't have an external soundcard.
Your MobilePre IS an external soundcard, referred to these days as an "audio interface". Audio interfaces with analog inputs and outputs already have the conversion build in. But, as I mentioned, your MobilePre, while I'm sure it's a quite capable audio interface for recording 1 or 2 tracks at a time directly into your computer, it's not equipped with enough inputs for you to successfully dump all 4 tracks from tape to the DAW in one pass.

And, just so this is clear, the "recording" part, and the "dumping to the DAW" part are two completely separate processes. You record onto tape. Then, when you've finished recording, you put the mics away and dump your audio into you DAW via an appropriate audio interface.

Magnetic Services
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by Magnetic Services » Thu Jul 26, 2012 8:43 pm

tdrop wrote:I see your point, but I was actually thinking the opposite. You could get the tape sound going from the tape outs, but avoid Tascam's crappy mixer. Really the EQ on the 424 is not so good. I think it would be better to eq in the box. Just my humble opinion.
Really, nothing on it is much good. The fun of the 424 is the "workflow", if I may use a bloated and vague term. It's all right there, just hook up some guitar pedals to the sends and have a blast! If all you're after is the tape sound, there are smaller 4-tracks.

I know this glosses over a lot of details and is broken up into horribly inconvenient 2 minute sections, but I saw an ExpertVillage series on 424 that really got me understanding it and excited about it, well before I ever got one. Maybe OP would be interested.

OP: Go to youtube and search "expertvillage 4-track"

banana brains
gettin' sounds

Post by banana brains » Fri Jul 27, 2012 2:38 am

chris harris wrote:
Mane1234 wrote: I'm still not entirely sure from the OP's posts that they understand that with this particular tape machine, you've got to record to the tape, AND THEN dump that into the computer.
Technically, not true. He could just use the mixer section and avoid the tape altogether by using the aux system, the monitor outs, line outs, etc. But in my opinion this defeats the purpose of using the 424. I would rather avoid the mixer (on the way out, that is) by using the tape outs.

OP, I suggest you record something onto tape. Plug your tape outs into your interface. Press play on the Tascam and signal will go from each track individually to the respective tape output on the tascam and then to your interface, computer, etc..

Using this method, you will use the mixer section of the Tascam as you are recording to tape. But then when you are dumping to computer you can avoid another unnecessary run through the tascam mixer.

chris harris
speech impediment

Post by chris harris » Fri Jul 27, 2012 6:34 am

**correction**

I'm still not entirely sure from the OP's posts that they understand that with this particular tape machine, if (as stated in another thread by the OP) you're interested in "tape saturation", you've got to record to the tape, AND THEN dump that into the computer.

thefanbelow
pluggin' in mics

Post by thefanbelow » Fri Jul 27, 2012 8:43 am

Hey everyone I am posting on my phone and can't multi quote but I've read all your guys posts. I am aware I am not recording through the tape onto my daw. I have been recording onto the tape and then plugged in RCA to my tape out and into my interface. I could barely hear my recording on my daw even though it was clipping digitally and it's wav form basically was taking up the entire track. I was also hitting the tape really hard like +6 on the master and channel. Fwiw it was a normal bias tape as I dot have high bias ones yet. Anyway I appreciate all the advice and have read te manual a few times but bc I haven't experimented much yet I guess it's just w learning curve

chris harris
speech impediment

Post by chris harris » Fri Jul 27, 2012 9:21 am

It sounds like you've got an issue with monitoring the inputs into your DAW. If you're clipping the inputs on your DAW, and printing a huge waveform, then you should hear it loud and clear.

How does it sound when just played back from the 424?

thefanbelow
pluggin' in mics

Post by thefanbelow » Fri Jul 27, 2012 11:37 am

chris harris wrote:It sounds like you've got an issue with monitoring the inputs into your DAW. If you're clipping the inputs on your DAW, and printing a huge waveform, then you should hear it loud and clear.

How does it sound when just played back from the 424?
. It sounds totally loud and clear on the 424 with the monitoring level around 3 o clock. Just to clarify my signal chain if I might be at fault. I am only playing back 1 channel for now an I have the white RCA into channel 1 and the right into two (which probably doesn't do anything) and am putting the 1/4 converter into my channel 1 line in. Maybe it's an issue of mono vs stereo? Pretty clueless here. Thanks in advance

thefanbelow
pluggin' in mics

Post by thefanbelow » Fri Jul 27, 2012 11:39 am

Oh and also I havent cleaned the heads or demagnetized or anything. But it sounds more than fine on te 424 so idk if that could be the cause.

chris harris
speech impediment

Post by chris harris » Fri Jul 27, 2012 12:03 pm

Which DAW are you using and how are you monitoring from the DAW?
Have you ever successfully recorded anything to or played anything back from your DAW?

dfuruta
re-cappin' neve

Post by dfuruta » Fri Jul 27, 2012 1:17 pm

thefanbelow wrote:Just to clarify my signal chain if I might be at fault. I am only playing back 1 channel for now an I have the white RCA into channel 1 and the right into two (which probably doesn't do anything) and am putting the 1/4 converter into my channel 1 line in. Maybe it's an issue of mono vs stereo? Pretty clueless here. Thanks in advance
Could you describe this even more simply? Specifically, what does this:
and am putting the 1/4 converter into my channel 1 line in
mean? Do you mean that you have a little device that connects two RCA jacks to a stereo 1/4"? If so, this isn't what you want to do. You want to plug each output of your 424 into its own channel of the MobilePre. You can't plug both into the same M-Audio input. It's expecting balanced audio and you're giving it stereo, if I understand correctly.

thefanbelow
pluggin' in mics

Post by thefanbelow » Fri Jul 27, 2012 1:40 pm

chris harris wrote:Which DAW are you using and how are you monitoring from the DAW?
Have you ever successfully recorded anything to or played anything back from your DAW?
. Ya I use garage band but have recorded a lot of stuff in it no problems. I monitor by Plugging my headphones into the headphone jack on the m audio for when I put it into the daw but on the 424 I monitor by plugging straight into the jack on that