Schmidlin FED+ compressor

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

shedshrine
deaf.

Post by shedshrine » Fri Jul 27, 2012 3:10 pm

There I was, just fiddlin' with my Schmidlin, tracking jams so sweet should say "Smuckers" on the lead sheet.

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Fri Jul 27, 2012 3:21 pm

chris harris wrote:That's cute. Any response to my suggestion that those threads are redundant and counter to the whole concept of the forums in which they appear? I made a thoughtful argument after being accused of not knowing anything about the thread and it's been completely ignored in lieu of snark.
C'mon, we know you like snark! :twisted: I have, BTW, reported on my Snark tuner in that thread - cool thing. Or did I do it inna separate thread?

I think the consolidated thread is aiight in that it gives the poster a place to put up a cuppla words, mebbe a picture, without getting involved in doing more.

I mean, if ya buy yer "Schmidlin" and tell us there, that's cool, and we know ya got it, and mebbe we'll be inspired to learn more about it via UTSF or whatever. It's mebbe even a preliminary announcement, so the reader can ask about it.

But if ya start a "Schmidlin" thread, I think the expectation is it's somehow more in depth than just the mention of its acquisition - you know, like there's a question or a observation or a story or even a review that you the writer wanna make.

But I do agree, it does lower the post count, and mebbe chill some discussion.

On the other hand, do you really want a separate post from me everytime I buy another cheap mic? :lol:
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

T-rex
dead but not forgotten

Post by T-rex » Fri Jul 27, 2012 3:44 pm

If I may, can we drop the gear thread and get back to the Schmidlin?

Chris did go check out the thread and I thought he did have a good point about making individual threads. So much so that while I still posted in the gear acquired thread, I also posted a review of my new Overstayer VCA here:
http://messageboard.tapeop.com/viewtopi ... 536#664536

Thanks,
Troy

sears
steve albini likes it

Post by sears » Fri Jul 27, 2012 7:41 pm

chris harris wrote:That's cute.
Chris, I really didn't mean to make that comment at your expense. I just thought it would be funny. I wasn't even drinking yet.

chris harris
speech impediment

Post by chris harris » Sat Jul 28, 2012 9:26 am

vvv wrote:On the other hand, do you really want a separate post from me everytime I buy another cheap mic? :lol:
Man... I really like reading about cool, cheap mics! So, maybe a new thread just for the cool ones? ;)

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Sat Jul 28, 2012 2:12 pm

:lol:

Actually, I copied a buncha short ones into the mic aggregate thread.

But I do have a Golden Age Project D1 on the way, and I just took my recently deodorized Rat-Shack/Shure 33-1070D out the charcoal bag...
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

Snarl 12/8
cryogenically thawing

Post by Snarl 12/8 » Sat Jul 28, 2012 5:32 pm

Where's Joel to answer all the questions he stirred up? He *should* have put this in the big thread by the logic expressed here.
Carl Keil

Almost forgot: Please steal my drum tracks. and more.

chris harris
speech impediment

Post by chris harris » Sat Jul 28, 2012 5:48 pm

Snarl 12/8 wrote:Where's Joel to answer all the questions he stirred up? He *should* have put this in the big thread by the logic expressed here.
Well, to be fair, this is page 3 now because of the useless detour. Maybe he doesn't have time to read three pages of things that aren't about the topic he intended to discuss. Maybe this proves the logic expressed here?

schmidlin
audio school

Post by schmidlin » Mon Aug 06, 2012 11:28 am

Hi all, schmidlin here. (yes, "the")

I'm not here to shill, but to answer any questions you may have about the build. I also kindly prodded Joel to chime back in with details/answers, last I heard he was out of town with his hands full.

So, glad to be here!

joel hamilton
zen recordist

Post by joel hamilton » Mon Aug 13, 2012 7:49 pm

Hello there.

This compressor has been something I am completely psyched to have in the rack over the last few months. I have been mixing a ton of stuff (rather than tracking), and the FED+ has wound up on everything from Pretty lights to Plastic ono band....

It does the "destroyed thing" WAY better than any original federal I have ever used, and I have used a few.

I think the important thing here is not whether it is like the original, or sounds like this or that... the reason i thought it was worth mentioning here is because it is a kick ass compressor that is selling for a bargain price for the build quality, and fully worth checking out if you are in the market for a super high quality, tube based compressor.

My enthusiasm for a well built piece of gear should not be off-putting to anyone, so please feel free to not read my posts if being happy that a piece of gear exists that makes my job easier reads as some kind of sales pitch (which I have absolutely nothing to gain other than knowing someone got a good compressor from TJ, who makes the things)... so whatever with that angle...

I have been LOVING this thing on a paralell vocal buss, or inserted on a bass, or on a mono room mic. Totally amazing.
Check out the website for the tech specs.... I am just commenting on actual usage here. Its quiet, even when cranked, well made, and will burn up properly... it drives WAY more than either of my originals, and in a very musically euphoric, exciting way that has a very predictable transition to non-linear behavior I can count on... thats what is making it a keeper for me.

TJ: what does the "RATIO" knob do? Actually, what do ANY of the knobs do? ;)
I feel like every single knob on this thing is like a "freak out MORE/LESS about the incoming signal" knob.... just in different ways.
Also, the front panel meter cal is genius, because it is IMPOSSIBLE to get a federal needle to hang out at "0" EVER.

Thanks for making a great great box and offering it for such a reasonable price. also THANK YOU for USING NORMAL TUBES I can replace without killing myself.
It just cost me over 1500 dollars just to put new tubes in my 670... UGH. (first world problems, but expensive as hell nonetheless.....)

joel hamilton
zen recordist

Post by joel hamilton » Mon Aug 13, 2012 7:51 pm

Snarl 12/8 wrote:Where's Joel to answer all the questions he stirred up? He *should* have put this in the big thread by the logic expressed here.
I didn't stir anything up. I posted about a compressor I really like. I posted about a piece of GEAR.

Talking about gear we all like in GEAR TALK is still okay, even after the "logic expressed" in this thread.

losthighway
resurrected

Post by losthighway » Tue Aug 14, 2012 6:49 am

This thing look awesome, thanks for sharing your months of putting it to the test with us Joel.

It's funny to think people would complain about this kind of thread. In the 50's you would need to be independently wealthy to even think of owning any pro audio equipment to legitimately record with. Now we have these amazing boutique companies creating unique gear at ultra-competitive prices. To get a first hand look at how that gear is helping someone make really cool recordings (of incredible musicians) is amazing.

What else would we talk about in Gear Talk?

fossiltooth
carpal tunnel

Post by fossiltooth » Tue Aug 14, 2012 7:04 am

chris harris wrote:...Any response to my suggestion that those threads are redundant and counter to the whole concept of the forums in which they appear? I made a thoughtful argument after being accused of not knowing anything about the thread and it's been completely ignored in lieu of snark...

Here are some ideas for comparable topics:

In the "Tape Op Magazine" forum: "Anybody got any thoughts on Tape Op Magazine?"

In the "People Skills" forum: "Anybody got any stories about client interactions?"

In the "DIY Gear" forum: "Tell us about some gear that you've built yourself!"

In the "Buy/Sell/Trade" forum: "Anybody got any gear for sale? List it here!"
Chris, you sure can be blunt, and perhaps a little grating about it, but you certainly make a good point on this one. "What Are You Listening To Today" and "New Gear You've Acquired" are definitely redundant, even if a small handful of regulars enjoy them. To new and casual users, they can be a daunting turnoff, and additions to those threads would better serve the community if they were posted as new topics instead.

I think this is one of the things that has helped to give this board such a ghost-town like feel in recent times. It's nice that there's such a close-knit community here, but perhaps it's a little too close-knit at times? We should probably start thinking more about the experience of new users on the forum. Cutting down on the arrogance and being more welcoming to newcomers might help too. Just sayin'.

With that said, I don't doubt Joel's genuine enthusiasm over a new piece of gear for a minute. That's kinda what this section of the forum is supposed to be about, innit? If this was in the people skills or the techniques section, I could see why this would post would make less sense (Q: "How do I get drummers to stop hating me? Also, how do I get less hi-hat?" A: "You need a brand new federal compressor!") But in the Gear Talk section.... a post like this is kind of the whole point. Thanks for sharing, Joel.

losthighway
resurrected

Post by losthighway » Tue Aug 14, 2012 7:13 am

fossiltooth wrote:(Q: "How do I get drummers to stop hating me? A: "You need a brand new federal compressor!")
That is hilarious. I'm tempted to put it in my signature.

schmidlin
audio school

Post by schmidlin » Mon Mar 11, 2013 6:55 pm

Hi All,
Just wanted to let you know we put together a short video, co-starring the original Federal. It's basically my partner-in-crime Ashley Shepard walking through the testing process for each unit. Enjoy!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iEiTaRIzvnU