Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

joel hamilton
zen recordist

Schmidlin FED+ compressor

Post by joel hamilton » Mon Jul 23, 2012 7:29 pm

Get hip to this box.
The Schmidlin FED+ compressor.
I have two federal compressors. Originals. One has UTC's in it and a lot of love... paper in oil caps, all the good stuff... the Schmidlin is being used on all the stuff I am mixing this summer... I used it on Yoko one's vocals.... I used it on Iggy Pop vocals...
Its an awesome box.
Get into this thing. TJ is a great guy and the compressor is WAY less than you would think for something so nice.
The world just needs to know about this thing. Its one of the coolest new pieces of retro-inspired gear I have seen. It doesn't seek to "copy" or "clone" anything. Its a great compressor that stands on its own. Totally great.
Enjoy!
:D

Recording Engineer
steve albini likes it

Post by Recording Engineer » Tue Jul 24, 2012 10:45 am

Glad to hear it's not a copy or clone of anything... Other people have been saying it's basically a Federal AM864/U. The two AM864/U I've played with all had some-sort of high-pass built into their design (maybe the output transformer?) They worked great for me as long as I'd use them in parallel with the original signal, but even then, I could get there without going parallel with a few other compressors in my arsenal.

Anyway, your comments completely make me want to check it out now, after I somewhat dismissed it.

Rich Klein
audio school

Post by Rich Klein » Tue Jul 24, 2012 11:16 am

Recording Engineer wrote:
Anyway, your comments completely make me want to check it out now, after I somewhat dismissed it.
Really? Huh, go figure.
You do know that's the point of his post. It's pretty much an ad.

Recording Engineer
steve albini likes it

Post by Recording Engineer » Tue Jul 24, 2012 11:55 am

Of course the point of this post was to encourage others to check it out...

Ad? Well, you know that would imply money-exchange somewhere along the lines, right?

And while normally I'd agree with you, except we're talkin' Joel here. I have enough respect for him to know otherwise!

Bro Shark
re-cappin' neve

Post by Bro Shark » Tue Jul 24, 2012 2:42 pm

Fucking awesome, a guy with three posts calls out one of the most respected and well-liked guys on the forum for posting spam.

T-rex
dead but not forgotten

Post by T-rex » Tue Jul 24, 2012 2:44 pm

Yeah, it's Joel the most enthusiastic gear head on the web who also constantly preaches use what you have until you just can't go any further before buying something new.

Anywhoo, I looked for a Federal forever but couldn't locate one. Although I am not in the market for a $1500 comp right now, I would definitely like to try this at some point.

chris harris
speech impediment

Post by chris harris » Wed Jul 25, 2012 6:57 am

Fuck off, Rich.

Brett Siler
moves faders with mind

Post by Brett Siler » Wed Jul 25, 2012 4:34 pm

/\

Whoa

Magnetic Services
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by Magnetic Services » Wed Jul 25, 2012 9:13 pm

Bro Shark wrote:Fucking awesome, a guy with three posts calls out one of the most respected and well-liked guys on the forum for posting spam.
I don't agree with him that it's an ad (sure sounds like one, but I'll give joel the benefit of the doubt and assume he's got more class than that), but did he really need to start a thread about it? Not at all. there's already a thread for people to circle-jerk about their newest gear. (edit: disregard all that bullshit if it's an old acquisition that you've simply gotten re-stoked on.)

Anyhow, since we're already here... Joel, what do you like about this box that you couldn't get from your other gear? I only have two channels of compression (in the same unit), so I don't know the feeling of being able to choose :?

tonewoods
buyin' a studio

Post by tonewoods » Thu Jul 26, 2012 6:08 am

What a way to start the day.... :roll:
"You see, the whole thing about recording is the attempt at verisimilitude--not truth, but the appearance of truth."
Jerry Wexler

chris harris
speech impediment

Post by chris harris » Thu Jul 26, 2012 6:43 am

jackalope season wrote:I don't agree with him that it's an ad (sure sounds like one, but I'll give joel the benefit of the doubt and assume he's got more class than that), but did he really need to start a thread about it? Not at all. there's already a thread for people to circle-jerk about their newest gear. (edit: disregard all that bullshit if it's an old acquisition that you've simply gotten re-stoked on.)
Well, you're a new user here, too. It's just common internet courtesy to stick around and get to know the regulars and how the forum operates before you start spouting off your opinions of the people who for YEARS AND YEARS have made this forum great. None of you new guys have any business trying to be the "voice of reason" or "devil's advocate" on a forum you have no clue about.

Did he need to start a new thread about it? Well, I'm really glad that he did. Joel is nearly 9000 posts deep in earning the respect and admiration of the COMMUNITY here. If you're new to the community, you should defer to the regulars in regards to whether a post from another regular is over the limit or out of line. This is a WELL ESTABLISHED COMMUNITY. If Joel was just here as a shill, advertising gear, he sure as hell wouldn't have gotten 8800 posts deep without someone besides you new guys doing something about it.

The best thing about using forums like this, is that after such a significant history, there are people who are flat-out trusted as dependable sources for information on gear. If you're new to the board, it would be a good idea to spend more time reading and contributing in a constructive way before you start calling out the regulars who helped to make this place the kind of resource that it is.

BTW, another pro tip: That "look what I bought" thread is absolute bullshit. I haven't read it since page 1. I'm sure as hell glad that I don't have to dig through that nonsense to find a post from Joel about a new piece of gear that's piqued his interest.

chris harris
speech impediment

Post by chris harris » Thu Jul 26, 2012 6:48 am

And, y'know, after you've spent some time here, earning the respect of this board, you might be comfortable enough to list some links to what you do and who you are, like Joel Hamilton (and nearly every other respected user here) does.

jgimbel
carpal tunnel

Post by jgimbel » Thu Jul 26, 2012 8:07 am

Hey Joel, thanks for posting this. I had never heard of the Schmidlin compressor before this thread and I'm very interested in it, looks like something I might like to add to the arsenal. Thanks for bringing this to our/my attention! Have you used it on anything other than vocals? It seems like the kind of thing that could be nice on bass too. Definitely very curious about this one.
My first new personal album in four years - pay what you want - http://jessegimbel.bandcamp.com

T-rex
dead but not forgotten

Post by T-rex » Thu Jul 26, 2012 9:09 am

The Latest Gear thread is not BS. I think it's funny to say you haven't read it since day one and completely dismiss it like a hundred.pages later. It's not a bunch of people showing off high dollar shit it's more like this thread, "hey check out this score!" It's like a community swap meet where people talk about the stuff they bought and why they bought it. Every few days I check it and I have been hipped to some cool stuff from that thread. This is the kind of stuff that makes me visit this place less; just negative aggressive behavior for no good reason.
Last edited by T-rex on Thu Jul 26, 2012 10:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

losthighway
resurrected

Post by losthighway » Thu Jul 26, 2012 9:16 am

Wow!

I guess I've been in the wrong coming to a page called 'Gear Talk' and reading about new gear that people use to produce awesome sounding recordings of music.

Let's mute that part of the conversation, because I'd rather hear more about the FED then some other snark.

Does it have ratios, or is it a Varimu thing?