Computer Monitors/TVs and Analog Tape

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

ithoughticouldrelate
pluggin' in mics

Computer Monitors/TVs and Analog Tape

Post by ithoughticouldrelate » Fri Jul 27, 2012 10:38 am

First off ? I hope this is the right forum for this, but if not if you wouldn't mind moving it that'd be awesome.

I'm using a Tascam 388. Occasionally I want to dump tracks into Logic for backup in case anything happens to the tape for some reason. I have an LCD TV with a monitor input that I use as a computer monitor.

I've heard to keep tape away from TVs. I'm assuming these were the older CRT models. Is there any danger with newer LCD TVs or non-CRT computer monitors as far as storing them close to the tape machine goes? My setup would have the two maybe a foot away, along with a Mac Mini on the desk next to the Tascam. Just wanted to check before anything bad happened, sorry for the simple question!

P.S. I know to move these sorts of things out of the way for demagging, obviously! :D

Gregg Juke
cryogenically thawing

Post by Gregg Juke » Fri Jul 27, 2012 8:02 pm

I'll take a shot-- If it has any chance of having a magnetic field, you should keep tape away. I would think that would include modern screens.

GJ

SafeandSoundMastering
gettin' sounds

Post by SafeandSoundMastering » Sat Jul 28, 2012 2:05 am

Most electronics radiate some interference at various RF frequencies. (TFT monitors should radiate less so than a CRT as most guitarists will know). Often the CRT monitor would need to be switched off during a take or the pickups of the guitar oriented to null the interference from the monitor.

It is probably best to keep the tape machines away from any monitors (possibly also unshielded speaker monitors) I am not aware of tape machines generally being able to record RF which starts at 100kHz or so. But of course you do not know if this might somehow get de-modulated/transposed inadvertently by some design fault (lack of filtering).

cheers

SafeandSound Mastering
online mastering studio

tjcasey1
takin' a dinner break

Post by tjcasey1 » Tue Aug 14, 2012 1:33 pm

CRT monitors had huge electromagnets in them; that's how they worked. LCD monitors don't.

I'll cover myself legally by saying you should keep analog or digital tape away from everything in the universe, but LCD monitors don't give out a fraction of the magnetic field that CRTs did, if they give out any field at all.

Gregg Juke
cryogenically thawing

Post by Gregg Juke » Tue Aug 14, 2012 1:38 pm

>>>>I'll cover myself legally by saying you should keep analog or digital tape away from everything in the universe<<<<

:wink: :roll: :wink:

GJ