Studer A80 vs Otari ATR-90

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

mrb
ass engineer

Studer A80 vs Otari ATR-90

Post by mrb » Fri Aug 03, 2012 2:30 pm

Hi,
I'm moving from 8 to 16 tracks. I've been offered for more or less the same money a Studer A80 (probably Mark III or IV) and a Otari ATR-90 Mark II.
I own an 8 tracks A80. I know the machine pretty well. You need to learn how to punch-in with it, but apart from that has the sound that made move to analog and never look back.

Of course I know condition is the most fundamental factor, but I'd like to know your opinion regarding sonic characteristics , transport, punch-in, etc.

The Otari is tempting me because it's not that big compared to the Studer, and it comes with the remote controller (no controllers for the Studers) and some one told that it's a bit more punch-in friendly (locators, etc) but I'm so happy with the sound of the A80...

Thanks
Max RB

Sean Sullivan
moves faders with mind

Post by Sean Sullivan » Sat Aug 04, 2012 3:54 pm

The MTR-90's don't carry the same luster as the Studer name, I find them to be incredibly stable and easy to punch with. They have great transports.
Still waiting for a Luna reunion

ivanovich
gettin' sounds

Post by ivanovich » Mon Aug 06, 2012 5:55 pm

i've worked with the otari (mk3) and it's pretty awesome. always reliable and super easy to do punch ins. nice fade on the punch or something very transparent. it sounds pretty good too. the controller is also nice. all the track enables are there and it just makes things easy, fast and efficient.
i have a studer a-80 1/4" 2track that i haven't resurrected yet. i'm not too familiar with these. from what i understand is that they're discrete electronics. every adjustment is on pots(i think thats the case with the otari) and there's definitely no microchips involved! i don't know if theres microchip processors on the otari. it just makes them a bit harder to fix i've found(like the sony apr series). but the otari may not have microchips so i just don't know on that one.

what i can say is that the otari is pretty solid and sounds good.

i

drumsound
zen recordist

Post by drumsound » Mon Aug 13, 2012 1:00 pm

The Studer will probably sound better and the Otari will be easier to keep running and to use. I'd be really unhappy without a remote, personally.

No Wave Casio Kitsch
re-cappin' neve

Post by No Wave Casio Kitsch » Mon Aug 13, 2012 1:22 pm

drumsound wrote:I'd be really unhappy without a remote, personally.
This cannot be overstated! Given 2 quality machines, I would choose the one with a remote every time.

MicrophoneMark
audio school graduate

Post by MicrophoneMark » Sat Aug 18, 2012 5:29 pm

Exactly the dilemma I had 18 mths ago. I knew the Studer would be more romantic, but reasoned that the day it broke down on a session or I ruined a punch on something important I'd immediately know it wasn't worth it.

I went for the MTR90II and haven't looked back. It sounds great, holds calibration for weeks, punches like an absolute dream (I've been doing full-band punches with great success) and just keeps going.

I third the call for a remote - even if my machine was in the control room I couldn't do a session without the remote.
I tape bands- www.thecrashfactory.com
I make guitar pickups - www.crashmagnetictransducers.com

Tragabigzanda
steve albini likes it

Post by Tragabigzanda » Sun Aug 19, 2012 10:29 am

Another vote for the Otari. I'm a former owner of an MTR-90. The punches are in fact smooth and easy, and it does indeed require relatively little upkeep. I'd also hate to use a machine without a transport!

I will say that the sound is definitely different. The Otari has a softer, gentler sound, if that makes sense. Smoother roll off on the top end, or maybe it has something to do with the attack of a wav. At any rate, everything is just a little less defined that on a Studer. If I were doing exclusively heavy rock stuff, I might opt for the Studer just for that edge, but for a normal working studio, I still think the Otari is the way to go.
Alex C. McKenzie

jens ledet
audio school

Post by jens ledet » Thu Aug 30, 2012 4:08 am

Hi there sorry if i hijack.
I have an mtr 90 mk2 Do any of you know how to silence it up? I have it in my control room, and the fan at the back is realy hissing. S? it needs some changes, maybe some of you have the same problem?

Regards Jens