sidecar options

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

telepathy
pushin' record

sidecar options

Post by telepathy » Mon Aug 06, 2012 1:18 pm

so maybe you guys can help me with this one. I'm feeling like it's time to add a small sidecar to my existing setup. I have a Neotek Series II and keep wishing during mixdowns that I had *just a couple* more channels. the console frame has a little bit of available space but the way everything's wired inside that beast, adding more channels or effects returns would be major surgery.

so I was thinking of a small (likely eight-or-less-channel) mixer to add, patched in as an insert before the console's 2-bus outs. I'd be using it for adding parallel busses, collecting effects & reverb returns, and submixing. desired features are super-clean line amps, high headroom, no discernable self-noise or color, and decent channel EQ. I don't need mic pres but would use them if they're solid. I'd also like to keep the price under a grand.

I was thinking about a Hill Audio Multimix but they rarely come up for sale. the SSL X-Desks are sweet but too pricey, and have no EQ. what would be absolutely ideal is the Toft ATB 04 or 08, but they're expensive as hell. I haven't really liked Allen & Heath stuff, and please don't recommend Mackie....

whaddaya think? headed down the right path? or should I just put the Neotek under the knife and try to squeeze in four more channels & a couple effects returns?

thanks in advance.
get up with it

E.Bennett
re-cappin' neve

Post by E.Bennett » Mon Aug 06, 2012 4:15 pm

I have no connection to this item, but there is an 8x4 Amek BC 2 on ebay. It looks like it would work well for that application. I also like the sony mxp2900. It can be found for short money. There are also a bunch of small footprint discrete location mixers floating around.

chris harris
speech impediment

Post by chris harris » Mon Aug 06, 2012 4:44 pm

I use a Hill Audio Multimix for exactly what you're talking about here. It's perfect for what I need, and the preamps are pretty useful, too.

Keep an eye out. I've got 2 that I got for less than $200 each.

telepathy
pushin' record

Post by telepathy » Sun Aug 12, 2012 7:34 pm

right on. it's good to hear the Hill pres are useful. any other make to compare them to, offhand?

anyone else got some thoughts on this one?
get up with it

Sean Sullivan
moves faders with mind

Post by Sean Sullivan » Mon Aug 13, 2012 7:12 am

Look for a Soundcraft Delta. They come in 8, 12, and 16 channel. They have a small footprint and are super clean.

It sounds like you are a bit techy, and they are easy to modify if you are so inclined. Plus, unlike most cheap consoles, they are modular.

An 8 channel unit shouldn't cost more than a few hundred books.
Still waiting for a Luna reunion

Sean Sullivan
moves faders with mind

Post by Sean Sullivan » Mon Aug 13, 2012 7:13 am

Look for a Soundcraft Delta. They come in 8, 12, and 16 channel. They have a small footprint and are super clean.

It sounds like you are a bit techy, and they are easy to modify if you are so inclined. Plus, unlike most cheap consoles, they are modular.

An 8 channel unit shouldn't cost more than a few hundred books.
Still waiting for a Luna reunion

telepathy
pushin' record

Post by telepathy » Sat Sep 01, 2012 7:49 pm

I worked in live sound too long to have anything but mistrust of Soundcraft stuff. plenty of people have told me otherwise, but I've never really liked any of their consoles. is the Delta current or older?
get up with it

telepathy
pushin' record

Post by telepathy » Sat Oct 06, 2012 7:08 pm

bump for other opinions on this.....
get up with it

Bill Williams
audio school

Post by Bill Williams » Sun Oct 07, 2012 3:04 am

I have ideas and not suggestions so don't read if you are looking for search terms.

A quality mixing sidecar is an exact copy of the main console your mixing on... The ability to duplicate and effect the mix in two frames simultaneously is the key to cutting work flow by a factor way greater than the expense... If that makes sense...

Just double up the desk you have then start a dual work flow with "options" or whatever.

telepathy
pushin' record

Post by telepathy » Sun Oct 07, 2012 11:22 pm

Bill Williams wrote:Just double up the desk you have then start a dual work flow with "options" or whatever.
no idea what you mean, here.
get up with it