Unidirectional Ribbon Mic Options

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

Matt C.
suffering 'studio suck'

Unidirectional Ribbon Mic Options

Post by Matt C. » Wed Aug 08, 2012 9:24 pm

Obviously figure-8 is the norm but I'm wondering what the options are for getting a unidirectional (cardioid/super/hyper) ribbon mic (new or used, whatever). Maybe i'm unnecessarily afraid of figure-8 mics sometimes, but recording in a small, not great sounding basement with several instruments going at once seems to limit their practicality. I have one Beyer m160 that I like a lot, looking to maybe expand the selection.

- what are some great sounding unidirectional ribbons that can serve as all purpose mics (drum OH/room, electric guitar, vocals, percussion. recording mostly rock and punk tunes)?

- should I just quit being a wimp and use figure 8 ribbons anyway?

dfuruta
re-cappin' neve

Re: Unidirectional Ribbon Mic Options

Post by dfuruta » Wed Aug 08, 2012 10:32 pm

mattcastore wrote:- should I just quit being a wimp and use figure 8 ribbons anyway?
As long as the source is reasonably louder from the mic's perspective than the reflections/other instruments, life is great! This is often doable.

E.Bennett
re-cappin' neve

Post by E.Bennett » Wed Aug 08, 2012 10:48 pm

fig.8 pattern will be a good friend to you in your situation.

fossiltooth
carpal tunnel

Post by fossiltooth » Wed Aug 08, 2012 11:11 pm

Beyer M160s are great. Hyperdirectional. But yes, figure-8s are fantastic for bleed rejection, if that's what you're worried about. Their side nulls are far deeper than the back nulls of unidirectional mics. Nothing to be afraid of. You may hear a little bit more of the room on a figure-8. In many good-sounding rooms, this is a benefit. If you're recording in a really sh*tty sounding room that you hate the sound of, I wouldn't recommend a unidirectional mic. I'd recommend a better sounding room! There are a million studios out there these days, and you can work in a great one for chump change. It's some good luck to have been born when you were.

ulriggribbons
steve albini likes it

Post by ulriggribbons » Wed Aug 08, 2012 11:13 pm

Of course I'm going to say you should use a figure 8 ribbon 8)

But to answer your question, in the unidirectional category, I personally like the beyer M500/260/160. There are differences between them, but they share the same rough design.

Regards

Jon

Matt C.
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by Matt C. » Thu Aug 09, 2012 7:05 am

to clarify, I'm more concerned about bad room sounds when using figure 8 mics, rather than bleed between instruments (i do know about the massive null figure 8s have). Using a figure 8 as a drum overhead is tough because it ends up just a few inches away from the ceiling, same deal when i have a guitar amp gobo'd off. the back of the mic just picks up the muffled sound of a OC703 panel. not flattering.

fossiltooth
carpal tunnel

Post by fossiltooth » Thu Aug 09, 2012 8:01 am

Yeah, figure-8s would not be my first choice for overheads in a room with a low ceiling.

Nick Sevilla
on a wing and a prayer

Re: Unidirectional Ribbon Mic Options

Post by Nick Sevilla » Thu Aug 09, 2012 10:09 am

mattcastore wrote:Obviously figure-8 is the norm but I'm wondering what the options are for getting a unidirectional (cardioid/super/hyper) ribbon mic (new or used, whatever). Maybe i'm unnecessarily afraid of figure-8 mics sometimes, but recording in a small, not great sounding basement with several instruments going at once seems to limit their practicality. I have one Beyer m160 that I like a lot, looking to maybe expand the selection.

- what are some great sounding unidirectional ribbons that can serve as all purpose mics (drum OH/room, electric guitar, vocals, percussion. recording mostly rock and punk tunes)?

- should I just quit being a wimp and use figure 8 ribbons anyway?
How loud are the sources you want to record?

If you are always recording LOUD sources, then you might consider non ribbon mics.
Howling at the neighbors. Hoping they have more mic cables.

ulriggribbons
steve albini likes it

Post by ulriggribbons » Thu Aug 09, 2012 10:22 am

fossiltooth wrote:Yeah, figure-8s would not be my first choice for overheads in a room with a low ceiling.
I've read that a few times on the interweb, but that hasn't been my experience. I'd hate to have it become like the phantom power and ribbon mics thing.

I did an EP in a tiny room above a garage (maybe 8.5' ceiling), and it sounded really good! Had ribbons on overheads and another pair as far back in the room as we could get them.

No real treatment, just great sounding drums and a good drummer.

YMMV

fossiltooth
carpal tunnel

Post by fossiltooth » Thu Aug 09, 2012 10:37 am

ShinyBox wrote:
fossiltooth wrote:Yeah, figure-8s would not be my first choice for overheads in a room with a low ceiling.
I've read that a few times on the interweb, but that hasn't been my experience. I'd hate to have it become like the phantom power and ribbon mics thing.
One of the first records I ever recorded for money was in a room with super-low ceilings. I tried the 414 OHs in all their patterns. Figure 8 was not my favorite in that scenario. Your own results, room, and tastes may vary.

I was doing spaced-pair for that session, which is still my favorite to this day, although not my only approach. If I were doing a mono-overhead kind of thing where the backs of the figure-8 weren't so close to the ceiling and pointing directly at it, who knows? I may have liked it more.

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Thu Aug 09, 2012 1:42 pm

I fairly recently picked up a Beyerdynamic M500, what seem much cheaper on the e-Bog than the 260 and 160, after I read E. R. Ambel and some others praising it for vocals.

I love it there, altho' they are totally without hype, and can seem a little "dark" with some pre's (ex., VC1Q).

And I can say it is also very cool on amps.
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

blungo2
re-cappin' neve

Post by blungo2 » Thu Aug 09, 2012 2:24 pm

By way of unidirectional, i'd love to try one of these.

http://www.vintageking.com/AEA-KU4?sc=42&category=52

Brett Siler
moves faders with mind

Post by Brett Siler » Thu Aug 09, 2012 2:58 pm

There is also the older Oktava ML-19 which is a cardiod ribbon mic.

blungo2
re-cappin' neve

Post by blungo2 » Thu Aug 09, 2012 3:00 pm

I've heard good things about those. I almost picked one up recently.

Brett Siler
moves faders with mind

Post by Brett Siler » Thu Aug 09, 2012 3:02 pm

vvv wrote:I fairly recently picked up a Beyerdynamic M500, what seem much cheaper on the e-Bog than the 260 and 160, after I read E. R. Ambel and some others praising it for vocals.

I love it there, altho' they are totally without hype, and can seem a little "dark" with some pre's (ex., VC1Q).

And I can say it is also very cool on amps.
Interesting... I'll have to look into these.