Mandolins

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

mrc
re-cappin' neve

Mandolins

Post by mrc » Sun Aug 12, 2012 8:05 am

I've been researching mando's found this http://www.themandolinstore.com/scripts ... oduct=9260 anyone know of better instruments in this price range?

Smitty
tinnitus

Post by Smitty » Sun Aug 12, 2012 4:44 pm

I used to have an old Epiphone F-style, MIJ that sounded really boss, and I sold it for around that much. I still regret selling that thing.

I'd look for something used, but that's my approach to everything...
"I try to hate all my gear equally at all times to keep the balance of power in my favor." - Brad Sucks

dgrieser
steve albini likes it

Post by dgrieser » Sun Aug 12, 2012 7:52 pm

Call up The Mandolin Store--those folks are really great. They do a nice setup job on everything they sell which is essential for less expensive imports. The Loars have a good reputation as do Eastmans and Kentucky's. I'd call them up, tell them what kind of music you want to play, and see what they recommend for the sound you want. They also give you an approval period.

If you are looking for a used mandolin, check the classifieds at www.mandolincafe.com The classifieds are well-policed to keep fraud off, and if you are diligent, you might find a bargain.

mrc
re-cappin' neve

Post by mrc » Mon Aug 13, 2012 4:09 pm

Thanks guys, I have no problem with used instruments, I've scored a few very nice quality instruments that way over the last, ah, 4 decades :roll: