New Interface

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

Tim A
gettin' sounds

New Interface

Post by Tim A » Sun Aug 12, 2012 11:58 pm

hey guys,
sorry this has probably been covered but not as recently.
Basically im getting a new interface, pretty set on an apogee ensemble. 4 pres 4 ins from my desk. enough outs to my desk. sweet. the downside, i am poor an impatiant. Are there any other alternates that are great, within a simular price range that might be a little more readliy avalible? i hear alot of people raving about the apogee, but if you had to spend simular money for the main inferface in your studio.... what would you get?

lefthanddoes
gimme a little kick & snare

Post by lefthanddoes » Mon Aug 13, 2012 6:51 am

I recommend the Focusrite Saffire Pro 40. You can get it for around $400 and it has 8 pres and it sounds great!

sir hills
gettin' sounds

Post by sir hills » Mon Aug 13, 2012 7:13 am

Not really answering your question...but, I just picked up a lightly used, several month old Ensemble off Ebay for $1300 shipped to my door. They come up regularly on Gearslutz classifieds as well. I bought it as it seems like the best option for stripping down my studio for more personal & location work. I'm still putting it through the paces & comparing mixes etc. with an Aurora 16 with the LT-USB card. So far, the Aurora sounds more open & detailed where the Ensemble has a slightly softer tone & tightened low end. As another comparison, I used to own a MOTU 896HD with the BLA mod & it sounded a little cloudy or smeared with not much depth compared to the Aurora. Though, when clocked to the Aurora the 896HD opened up slightly. I would say the Ensemble is somewhere between the Aurora & the 896HD. The Ensemble pres are pretty fantastic, tons of headroom for low output mics & they sound good...smoother than I expected. I also like having the two headphone jacks/amps as I typically work solo or with one other person. The unit did not ship with an installation disc so I dreaded going through the process of downloading software off Apogee's site. I had the software downloaded & the Ensemble up & running with current PT sessions within 5 minutes. The Maestro console is easy to use/understand as well. Another test I found interesting is that when tracking with the Aurora I typically lower the PT session buffer to 64 to achieve the lowest delay/closest natural sound without crashing the session & with the Ensemble I get the same or better results at 128.

Another option in the same range that I was considering was the Metric Halo 2882. I opted for the Ensemble as the pres seem to be more useful & it has the dual headphone jacks. There's an RME interface in the same range that gets compared with these two units quite a bit as well but I can't remember the model #.

Anyhow, I'll be putting the Aurora up for sale in the next day or two. I need the funds & I feel confident the Ensemble will fulfill all my current & future needs as my main interface for a solid while.

Nick Sevilla
on a wing and a prayer

Post by Nick Sevilla » Mon Aug 13, 2012 8:09 am

If you save a little more money, get the Universal Audio Apollo.
Howling at the neighbors. Hoping they have more mic cables.

comfortstarr
re-cappin' neve

Post by comfortstarr » Mon Aug 13, 2012 12:33 pm

I can't tell you how it compares to the Ensemble, but I have an older version of the Metric Halo 2882. The new one: https://www.mhsecure.com/mhdirect/produ ... t=3&page=1 is probably better. Great tech support. Mine sounds wonderful (and it's almost 10 years old).

Tim A
gettin' sounds

Post by Tim A » Mon Aug 13, 2012 10:44 pm

Ok Cool.
still looking like apoggee could be the winner.
Im looking to set up a semi serious studio at home so its looking like the strongest interface to get. just need to find one at a good price (as all the mentioned places are american, im running on 240V over here).
any other suggestions/places to buy are welcome

Tim A
gettin' sounds

Post by Tim A » Mon Aug 13, 2012 11:52 pm

actually... been looking at the halo 2882......pretty impressed

sir hills
gettin' sounds

Post by sir hills » Tue Aug 14, 2012 5:54 am

Oh, didn't realize you were in the UK...that might've helped to mention in your first post. Just dig a little & you'll find both units in your country or in one that has 240 & is willing to ship. Here's what I turned up in just a few minutes:

http://www.gearslutz.com/board/gearslut ... ntrol.html

http://www.gearslutz.com/board/gearslut ... ralia.html

deltonfoster
audio school

Post by deltonfoster » Tue Aug 14, 2012 8:21 am

Hi Tim,

I think Nick got it right!

I sold my ensemble to buy the apollo, I was already using their plugs anyhow. I noticed a significant improvement in the overall sound immediately. Hard to describe but more detail/cleaner, wider, etc. But noticeable for sure!!

You get a lot for your money: Interface comparable to the ensemble, UA analog classics plug-In bundle to get you started -the ability to record through those plugs as well as use them later in the mixing stage.

I would at least add it to your list:

http://www.thomann.de/gb/universal_audio_apollo_duo.htm

comfortstarr
re-cappin' neve

Post by comfortstarr » Wed Aug 15, 2012 10:27 am

FYI: the Metric Halo 2882 is on sale (as are the rest of their stuff) through 9/15.

Tim A
gettin' sounds

Post by Tim A » Thu Aug 16, 2012 5:08 am

sorry for my complete lack of basic information. I'm from Sydney.
just paid for half of my halo 2882. It looks really killer. I didn't notice the whole plugins/character thing before. should be interesting. 4 clean channels, 4 analog channels. all with the option of plugins.