TC Electronics MPLS repair?

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

Burnt Ernie
steve albini likes it

TC Electronics MPLS repair?

Post by Burnt Ernie » Fri Aug 17, 2012 6:28 am

Anyone out there know who's authorized repair for TC stuff in Minneapolis?
I have a couple m one's ( 1 dead,1 acting up) ,and am still waiting for reply from the tc site,and I'm trying to fix/get fixed everything that's busted.
Thanks!
Eric
I am the Walnut

T-rex
dead but not forgotten

Post by T-rex » Fri Aug 17, 2012 7:05 am

I believe the power supplies are known to go in these, at least in the older models; supposedly TC changed the power supplies in later units. Do you do any DIY work? I have a thread bookmarked at home from a forum about what is usually the culprit with these, a lone cap in the power supply that needs to be replaced if I remember correctly. I can post it later if you would like.
[Asked whether his shades are prescription or just to look cool]
Guy: Well, I am the drummer.

Burnt Ernie
steve albini likes it

Post by Burnt Ernie » Sat Aug 18, 2012 6:44 am

Thanks,T-Rex. Yeah,I do plenty DIY stuff-I opened the dead one a while back,and saw the little culprit cap,and it's little oozing trail. I picked up ,and installed a new PS from full compass,but it only powers up "halfway". I looked around on the main board,and there appears to be discoloration in a couple spots. I assume these are from where the ps went out,or these went out,and took out the ps. My multimeter took a dump,so I'm limited in my forensic approach right now. Either way,It'd be nice to get 'em done here in town. Still waiting for word from TC Elex's tech support. Heard rumors it's a $150 flat fee
to redo,which is what I paid for 'em from my buddy's closed down studio. Love 'em when they work. Big bang for the buck.
I am the Walnut

T-rex
dead but not forgotten

Post by T-rex » Sat Aug 18, 2012 12:48 pm

Cool, yeah beyond that cap I can't help. I agree though, great boxes. Let me know what you find out from TC.
[Asked whether his shades are prescription or just to look cool]
Guy: Well, I am the drummer.

;ivlunsdystf
ghost haunting audio students
Location: The Great Frontier of the Southern Anoka Sand Plain

Post by ;ivlunsdystf » Sun Aug 19, 2012 1:37 pm

I once had a series of annoying problems with the volume pot on a TC interface. I eventually got connected with a very small TC tech support dept in CA. It seemed like there were only 2 or 3 dudes there. They were super-nice, but they tended to knock off work around 4pm every day, which was tricky for me (I am also in MN). Anyway, FWIW, that dept's # was 1 (818) 665-4900 . If this # is still working, you might give it a try. I remember that the dudes on the phone were fairly knowledgeable re: the actual working innards of the gear.

I also remember that the official method for contacting TC support was fairly maddening. You have to fill out a weird form at some website and then you get a many-digit "support ticket" number or some annoying thing.

Maybe this helps

kayagum
ghost haunting audio students

Post by kayagum » Mon Aug 20, 2012 1:54 pm

Try Pro Audio Service (952) 240-2608 / proaudioservice@mac.com