Time squeezing plug-ins

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

Dubmaniac
gettin' sounds

Time squeezing plug-ins

Post by Dubmaniac » Mon Aug 20, 2012 2:23 pm

Hi. I'm in the middle of doing some voiceover work for a client. I just found that my time compression effect in Cubase isn't working like it should, so I need to get something else. What I'm trying to do is compress a .wav file down to a set time length, like turning a 90 second voiceover into a 60 second spot. Thankfully, it's spoken word, so tempo isn't important. Here's the kicker- I'm poor and can't afford to buy any plug-ins right now, so I need a VST or Dirext X freeware plug-in. There's a recession on, you know. Got any ideas or tips, other than talking faster when I record?
"Stare with your ears"- Ken Nordine

Nick Sevilla
on a wing and a prayer

Post by Nick Sevilla » Mon Aug 20, 2012 7:44 pm

90 seconds into 60 seconds?

That is 33% my friend, and most if not all time compression plugins and stuff will just not do a good job.

This is the time to work with the script writer and see if certain words / phrases can get taken out / modified to fit into 60 seconds.

I used to do commercials for a living, and that is always the best option.

Now, if you absolutely MUST do the compression thing, I have Serato Pitch N Time Pro, so you could send me the file and I'll do it for you and send it back. Save your money.

Cheers
Howling at the neighbors. Hoping they have more mic cables.

Dubmaniac
gettin' sounds

Post by Dubmaniac » Tue Aug 21, 2012 1:26 pm

I sent the client an email last night telling her that we'd need to edit orhaveeverythingsoundlikethiswhichisaverybadidea. She told me that the 90 second length is fine, so crisis averted. But thanks for the reply. And I did find a workaround for Cubase, so life is good again. But while we're on the topic, what are some good suggestions for free plugins that can do time stretching and compression?
"Stare with your ears"- Ken Nordine

Nick Sevilla
on a wing and a prayer

Post by Nick Sevilla » Tue Aug 21, 2012 2:46 pm

I don't know of any free ones.

When I bought Serato Pitch N Time Pro, it was the best out there.

Still is, IMHO.
Howling at the neighbors. Hoping they have more mic cables.

ashcat_lt
tinnitus

Post by ashcat_lt » Sat Aug 25, 2012 9:17 am

Just FYI, since the OP has silver the issue: Reaper has built in pitch and time functions which work surprisingly well.