Mainstage Help. URGENT!

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

pskjr
gettin' sounds

Mainstage Help. URGENT!

Post by pskjr » Wed Aug 22, 2012 11:48 am

Hello All,

It's been quite a while since I've posted, but I'm in need of some urgent help regarding Mainstage. Lately I've been using it at church as guitar amps to help cut down on stage volume. It's been a dream come true. In my current setup I run out of the pedalboard and into a channel on my Focusrite Scarlett interface (2 channel). I then pan the channel in Mainstage to the right/left, and run an XLR from each output on the back of my interface. It has been working very well and the guitarists have been loving the Amp Designer tones, however, tonight one of the guitarists asked if he could use his amp head because he uses the overdrive on the amp. Is there any way to set this up in MainStage with my interface?

I know I can use the Transparent amp in Mainstage and then just use Mainstage as the cab, but I don't know how to get from his amp to MainStage without screwing things up. Is it possible to go out his head, via speaker output, to the interface? The Scarlett has both XLR and 1/4" inputs, but I don't know if it will work. Would it be best to go with a 1/4" male out of the speaker out on the amp, and then convert to XLR male to go into the interface? Is this okay to do? Is there a better way to do it? Or should I not do this at all because I'll blow something up?

Feedback would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!
Wait... where do the mics go?

E.Bennett
re-cappin' neve

Post by E.Bennett » Wed Aug 22, 2012 12:21 pm

Please do not send a speaker level signal into your interface that wants to see line level.

Snarl 12/8
cryogenically thawing

Re: Mainstage Help. URGENT!

Post by Snarl 12/8 » Wed Aug 22, 2012 12:39 pm

pskjr wrote:Feedback would be greatly appreciated.
I don't think you want that kind of feedback. J/K. You'll more likely get smoke.
Carl Keil

Almost forgot: Please steal my drum tracks. and more.

pskjr
gettin' sounds

Post by pskjr » Wed Aug 22, 2012 12:41 pm

E.Bennett wrote:Please do not send a speaker level signal into your interface that wants to see line level.
\

Okay haha. That's what I thought, just wanted to make sure. Thank you!
Wait... where do the mics go?