Cheap compressor with simultaneous RMS and Peak limiting?

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

Matt C.
suffering 'studio suck'

Cheap compressor with simultaneous RMS and Peak limiting?

Post by Matt C. » Wed Aug 29, 2012 10:23 pm

as the title suggests, I'm looking for a cheap hardware compressor that will do RMS compression and peak limiting at the same time, much like the Symetrix 501. quality doesn't have to be great, it will only be used in a small vocals-only PA for band practices. anyone know of other units to check out? The cheaper the better.

cgarges
zen recordist

Post by cgarges » Wed Aug 29, 2012 11:35 pm

The FMR RNC kind of shuttles between those in the "Super Nice" mode. Kind of hard to beat those things for price performance.

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC

eh91311
buyin' a studio

Post by eh91311 » Thu Aug 30, 2012 8:48 am

Behringer Composer Pro-XL MDX2600? It has both regular dbx-type compression & a peak limiter. Can't say how it sounds or works, but it has the features you were looking for, and is probably super cheap on the used market.

Tim A
gettin' sounds

Post by Tim A » Thu Aug 30, 2012 3:57 pm

Ive often wondered about the behringer and other low end compressors.

Is it worth having these kinds of things in the signal chain?
Say I was tracking a vocal, are cheap compressors going to help me? Or is it better to just keep my singal chain as "clean" or as "good" as it can be and compress in the box? (i dont really have any hesitation to compress to tape btw, just poor)

mrc
re-cappin' neve

Post by mrc » Thu Aug 30, 2012 4:38 pm

If you have a soldering iron and can find a full how to, the 3630 can be turned into a pretty decent unit for a few dollars worth of caps, diodes and some opamps plus a power supply for a line 6 pod or J Station or something similar. Don't cut the gates, thats not the problem. Here's a link to get you started, if you're into it http://www.groupdiy.com/index.php?topic=4363.0
I did a couple of these, and the difference is real. They have a new version, I'
ve seen, but haven't tried. It's a great, cheap mod to start learning on, and I wouldn't be afraid to use the modded ones I've done, on the right sources, in the studio. I mostly use UAD 2 comps in software now, but would use the modded 3630's live, no problem. Just shut off the gates, live, the room (crowd) noise keeps them open most all the time; you'll probably have gate chatter and and chopping if you set the tight enough to close between source signals in a club. In a band rehearsal, or live gig, once there is enough signal to open the gates, they will pretty much stay open for the duration of signal

eh91311
buyin' a studio

Post by eh91311 » Fri Aug 31, 2012 11:03 pm

Tim A wrote:Ive often wondered about the behringer and other low end compressors.

Is it worth having these kinds of things in the signal chain?
Say I was tracking a vocal, are cheap compressors going to help me? Or is it better to just keep my singal chain as "clean" or as "good" as it can be and compress in the box? (i dont really have any hesitation to compress to tape btw, just poor)
To use or not, that would be up to you. Most "inexpensive" hardware compressors start sounding 'bad' when you try to use them at their extremes or on sources that they aren't suited to. A little goes a long way.

Osumosan
takin' a dinner break

Post by Osumosan » Sat Sep 01, 2012 10:15 pm

You can usually find a Urei 7110 for around $200. It varies continuously from RMS to peak. Nice.