Rack filter?

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

hunterchristy
pluggin' in mics

Rack filter?

Post by hunterchristy » Thu Aug 30, 2012 12:48 am

So, I'm new to outboard gear. Plugin's are (usually) pretty affordable and you can have endless 1176's at your fingertips (i know, i know, the comparison is debatable...but you get my drift), and outboard gear...well...it's not as cheap for nicer stuff...and you got to make every purchase count.

with that said, I'm DYING to get my hands on a MOOG Ladder. It looks like something that would be great at shaping sounds and fixing things and fun to play with. But, it's..what...$800 AND you have to have a 500series rack, and i have neither.

Does anyone know of anything, a little more affordable, that does something similar?

looking for a full size rack, too.

Thank you!

kslight
mixes from purgatory

Post by kslight » Thu Aug 30, 2012 5:06 am

Electrix Filter Queen (half rack) and Filter Factory are very cheap used options for filters. I have the Filter Queen and it does the job. Not the most amazing filter compared to pricier counterparts, but it works fine.

hunterchristy
pluggin' in mics

Post by hunterchristy » Wed Sep 05, 2012 5:04 am

thanks for the reply!

i actually saw that pretty recently looking at ebay and wondered how it was.

i'm curious: electrix filter factory VS line6 filter Pro?

kslight
mixes from purgatory

Post by kslight » Wed Sep 05, 2012 4:24 pm

hunterchristy wrote:thanks for the reply!

i actually saw that pretty recently looking at ebay and wondered how it was.

i'm curious: electrix filter factory VS line6 filter Pro?
Its an analog or digital question, really. Electrix is analog, Line 6 is digital. I bet the Line 6 has more options, but if you want lots of features might as well stick with plugins. I like the Filter Queen for my purposes. Like I said, its not the most amazing filter out there, but I'm a synth geek. It works for what I use it for, and is certainly easier than getting things patched into one of my synths for a simple bass drum or whatever. The Filter Queen is going to be even cheaper than the Filter Factory, and has most of the features.

I agree that $800 (!!!) for a Moog Ladder is way too expensive, not to mention the cost of a 500 series rack (which I have held out on this trend too, as it seems like a false economy). Of course Moog is famous for being exceptionally proud of their product, knowing people will buy it for the name. For a little less money you could get something truly amazing like a Sherman Filterbank. Even the Filter Queen has more features than the Moog Ladder.

hunterchristy
pluggin' in mics

Post by hunterchristy » Thu Sep 06, 2012 1:36 pm

i totally get what you mean of analog vs digital. I'm a bit of synth geek myself. but the thing i'd love this for is filtered vox or drums or something.

thank you for the reply! i'll keep my eyes peeled for the electrix stuff.

if anyone else has any suggestions, i'm all ears.

Jeff White
ghost haunting audio students

Post by Jeff White » Thu Sep 06, 2012 2:30 pm

I've had an Electrix Filter Factory since 2003 and, although I don't use it all that often, I refuse to ever part with it. Excellent filter fun, full MIDI CC automation, turntable inputs, etc.

Jeff
I record, mix, and master in my Philly-based home studio, the Spacement. https://linktr.ee/ipressrecord

joel hamilton
zen recordist

Post by joel hamilton » Sat Sep 08, 2012 7:04 pm

I use the filter factory ALL the time. High pass with a slight LFO moving it around after a spring verb? YEP, this is the box for the job.
Tempo sync (VIA MIDI) low pass on a vocal delay with RECALL (VIA MIDI TRACK in the session) yep...

I use the MOFX for the same reason. It recalls with the session, even though EVERY other thing I use does not. :)

joel hamilton
zen recordist

Post by joel hamilton » Sat Sep 08, 2012 7:05 pm

gear makers: Please take a look at how cheap the implementation of soft functions on the knobs would be... if I could have a distressor recall with the session by writing MIDI info into the session, I would do it in a heartbeat, for sure. The electrix stuff will do that, but my 670 won't...

hunterchristy
pluggin' in mics

Post by hunterchristy » Tue Sep 18, 2012 4:22 am

i've been waiting to find one on ebay for a little less than 150. mofx looks pretty rad too. do you find you use mofx often? i like the delay and tremolo, but i'm not sure how good the distortion sounded (i could only find one video)

do the temporary buttons transmit via midi as well?

kslight
mixes from purgatory

Post by kslight » Wed Sep 19, 2012 5:31 pm

I bought my Filter Queen and EQ Killer together with the rackmount kit for $200, on the TOMB BST. I know this stuff shows up at Guitar Center Used (on their website) often, maybe check there.