a good replacement for tracktion 3? windows 7 64 bit

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

chovie d
suffering 'studio suck'

a good replacement for tracktion 3? windows 7 64 bit

Post by chovie d » Mon Sep 03, 2012 9:02 am

Howdy folks, my first post in ages. Ive had two 'multitrack" recording formats in the past twenty years. tascam PortaOne cassette, and Tracktion (2 and 3). The only interface Ive ever used has been the tonport UX2 from line6. I very much like having the amp modeling and low latency of that device. I am an amatuer home recordist, playing in several bands ranging from country to doom. At home I usually only record myself, not a full band, but bands do rehearsee in my studio so I I wouldnt mind having that capability, but its noot what I normally do. Usually its me on Vocals, bass, electric and acoustic instruments, for drums ive been using EZdrummer, microkorg and vst-i for keys. I dont do alot with loops, samples or midi. I am largely unfamiliar with whats out there right now, and not very adept with computers and technology in general. i like to keep things as simple as possible and tracktion3 and the toneport were very good for me in this regard.

My computer finally died on me. Ill be getting a new dell (dude) with windows 7 64 bit. Tracktion 3 is no longer made or supported. I think Id have to buy a newer version of the toneport to be 64 bit compatible. So it seems i need to find some other products and so Im asking for your suggestions...I hope Ive given enough background info. In your opinion what would be a good succesor to Tracktion 3 for someone like myself in this situation? Im certainly open to new interfaces as well.
Thanks in advance for your help, suggestions and patience with my limited knowledge about what i am asking.
me make purty musick!

Nick Sevilla
on a wing and a prayer

Re: a good replacement for tracktion 3? windows 7 64 bit

Post by Nick Sevilla » Mon Sep 03, 2012 12:05 pm

chovie d wrote:Howdy folks, my first post in ages. Ive had two 'multitrack" recording formats in the past twenty years. tascam PortaOne cassette, and Tracktion (2 and 3). The only interface Ive ever used has been the tonport UX2 from line6. I very much like having the amp modeling and low latency of that device. I am an amatuer home recordist, playing in several bands ranging from country to doom. At home I usually only record myself, not a full band, but bands do rehearsee in my studio so I I wouldnt mind having that capability, but its noot what I normally do. Usually its me on Vocals, bass, electric and acoustic instruments, for drums ive been using EZdrummer, microkorg and vst-i for keys. I dont do alot with loops, samples or midi. I am largely unfamiliar with whats out there right now, and not very adept with computers and technology in general. i like to keep things as simple as possible and tracktion3 and the toneport were very good for me in this regard.

My computer finally died on me. Ill be getting a new dell (dude) with windows 7 64 bit. Tracktion 3 is no longer made or supported. I think Id have to buy a newer version of the toneport to be 64 bit compatible. So it seems i need to find some other products and so Im asking for your suggestions...I hope Ive given enough background info. In your opinion what would be a good succesor to Tracktion 3 for someone like myself in this situation? Im certainly open to new interfaces as well.
Thanks in advance for your help, suggestions and patience with my limited knowledge about what i am asking.
Hi,
If you might record a band (up to 8 or 16 tracks at once) then you'll need to look for an interface which will have that many audio analog inputs.

For PC... jeez, I would recommend you buy Motu. Get a 828 mkiii Hybrid, which is FireWire and USB2.0, and should come with a simple DAW software called AudioDesk. This software is very simple yet has plug in capability if needed. Similar to Tracktion.
If you then need to go up from 8 analog inputs to 16 analog inputs, Motu makes something called an 8Pre, which is 8 analog inputs converted to digital, that you connect to the Motu 828mkiii Hybrid via two lightpipe connections.

Cheers
Howling at the neighbors. Hoping they have more mic cables.

joninc
dead but not forgotten

Post by joninc » Tue Sep 04, 2012 10:16 am

i am a big fan of cubase. they have dropped the prices down and it has a lot of built in fx and virtual instruments. i find the GUI easy to use too.

i also use a lot of freeware vst plugins too.

for cheaper - check out reaper..
the new rules : there are no rules

;ivlunsdystf
ghost haunting audio students
Location: The Great Frontier of the Southern Anoka Sand Plain

Post by ;ivlunsdystf » Tue Sep 04, 2012 12:28 pm

I switched several years ago from Tracktion to Reaper and I have never had a single complaint about any aspect of Reaper. I was a relatively happy Tracktion user too

studiodog
alignin' 24-trk

Post by studiodog » Wed Sep 05, 2012 8:55 am

I read good reviews on Harrison mix software. Anyone using it?
"...because I'm good enough, I'm smart enough, and gosh darnit, people like me!"

Studiodawg
takin' a dinner break

Post by Studiodawg » Wed Sep 05, 2012 9:23 am

I have Harrison Mixbus, but unfortunately it's not as friendly as other DAWs I use. I like it's "sound" and user interface, but don't like it's editing and other computer-oriented stuff like file handling. I will continue to support and upgrade my Mixbus, but it is not super easy like other (previously mentioned) DAWs...

blungo2
re-cappin' neve

Post by blungo2 » Wed Sep 05, 2012 11:25 am

I was just going to say that i like pretty much everything about mixbus. Editing is easy for me and the work flow for mixing is the best i've seen.

Studiodawg
takin' a dinner break

Post by Studiodawg » Fri Sep 07, 2012 10:06 am

For me the issue seems to be that I have to increase the buffer too much to record with Mixbus compared to Reaper or (on Windows) Samplitude...drop outs, glitches at low latency recording settings...YMMV...but like I said, I will continue to support Mixbus. I believe their paradigm is unique in our digital recording world.

blungo2
re-cappin' neve

Post by blungo2 » Fri Sep 07, 2012 11:30 am

Studiodawg wrote:For me the issue seems to be that I have to increase the buffer too much to record with Mixbus compared to Reaper or (on Windows) Samplitude...drop outs, glitches at low latency recording settings...YMMV...but like I said, I will continue to support Mixbus. I believe their paradigm is unique in our digital recording world.
You've probably heard this before, but it seems like both reaper and mixbus like lots of ram.
I agree about mixbus being a unique (and to me, better) paradigm.