Yamaha LS-9 Help

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

LyttStudioNJ
audio school

Yamaha LS-9 Help

Post by LyttStudioNJ » Wed Sep 05, 2012 10:24 am

Hello TOMB,

In need of some assistance with the Yamaha LS-9. The board has 8 omni outs used for the mains and 6 monitor mixes. In order to expand outputs you have to use one of the board's slots, which I've done. I didn't setup the current system, but what the previous person had done was go ADAT out of the slot to a piece of gear by Aphex, which then connects to a rack mount piece that has 8 XLR/1/4" (female). We started using these to run in ear mixes for band members, but the issue were having is that when the mix gets to the band member, it's only working in the left ear. After trouble-shooting we discovered it was the mixes going out of the slots that were having this issue, so I figured it must be some kind of setting on the board, or something weird with the Aphex piece of gear, or the rack mounted XLR1/4" jacks. So here's the basic signal flow.

ADAT out via one of the slots on the board to Aphex unit. Aphex connects to 8 XLR/1/4" combo (female) jacks. 1/4" male TRS to XLR male adapter to the CLR female returns on the snake. Then XLR to 1/4" TRS out of the snake to the In-Ear boxes.

I'm sure it's something simple that I'm overlooking or just not thinking about, but I don't have the board in front of me to mess with it and would like to have some options to solve the issue when I have access to it next. Anyone have any input?

Scodiddly
genitals didn't survive the freeze

Post by Scodiddly » Wed Sep 05, 2012 4:02 pm

I don't think those are stereo outputs - just balanced. So if the other stuff after the LS9 is unbalanced then of course you're only going to get sound in the left side.

You really want something like a headphone amp - you're probably just driving headphones from line-level outputs at the moment, which is not ideal.

Snarl 12/8
cryogenically thawing

Post by Snarl 12/8 » Wed Sep 05, 2012 8:38 pm

I feel like you're getting confused between balanced TRS line level and stereo TRS headphone level somewhere along the way, but your description of the situation is way to vague for me to be sure or to suss it out for you. What's the Aphex box, what are "in ear boxes." People here will totally help you out, if you give them enough info to do so.
Carl Keil

Almost forgot: Please steal my drum tracks. and more.

ymjon
audio school

Post by ymjon » Thu Sep 06, 2012 9:02 pm

You could modify all of your 1/4" to xlr cables so the tip and ring are both connected to hot on the xlr
But otherwise I do believe all of the outputs on the ls9 are mono

LyttStudioNJ
audio school

Post by LyttStudioNJ » Fri Sep 07, 2012 10:24 am

Snarl 12/8 wrote:I feel like you're getting confused between balanced TRS line level and stereo TRS headphone level somewhere along the way, but your description of the situation is way to vague for me to be sure or to suss it out for you. What's the Aphex box, what are "in ear boxes." People here will totally help you out, if you give them enough info to do so.
I do apologize for the vagueness!! I was in a van five hours into a ten hour drive, so I had no access to the system. I did some research on what the setup is, and have some answers for you.

The Aphex piece of gear is here http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/141
So it goes ADAT out of one of the slots on the LS9 to into theA Aphex 141. It then goes DB25 pin out of the 141 and connects each of the eight channels on the 141 to a panel of eight xlr connectors (female) that are also 1/4" (xlr:1/4" combination).

We would then have a 1/4" male TRS to XLR male adapter plugged into the patch panel in order to connect the channel to the snake returns, which are female xlr connectors. Then out of the snake via xlr to 1/4" TRS male into the in-ear boxes, which are therse: http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/MyMonitor/
Then we use 1/4" TRS make to 1/8" female headphone extension cables.

I think where things may be getting mixed up is the connection between the 141 and the patch panel with the XLR connectors. I won't have access to the system until tomorrow night to check it out, but if anyone sees anything wrong with what I've listed so far please let me know!

Frost
gimme a little kick & snare

Post by Frost » Thu Sep 13, 2012 3:12 pm

you will either have to use 2 per performer to get them a stereo feed or you can setup the IEM's to get a mono feed each. With shure iems this is called mix mode.

rockstudio
gettin' sounds

Post by rockstudio » Mon Sep 24, 2012 11:50 am

The 1/4" "monitor" input on the ART mymonitor is a stereo 1/4" input. So, if you plug a balanced TRS into it, audio will only come out of the Left earpiece.

Try plugging your monitor mix into the mic input with an XLR cable, this should feed a mono signal to both ears, although you may have to adjust your send levels from the LS9 to compensate for the higher gain of the mic input.

Chris_Avakian
steve albini likes it

Post by Chris_Avakian » Tue Sep 25, 2012 8:32 am

you could use ts to trs insert cables to go from say, outputs 1, and 2, 3 and 4, etc. to a stereo input on the in ear units. you will have to go into the rack on the ls9 to group the omni outputs to stereo mixes. its the same as an m7, i just forget exactly how to do it. its in the manual, though.

farview
tinnitus

Post by farview » Fri Sep 28, 2012 6:22 am

Its definitely the balanced vs. stereo thing. You either have to use two outputs and an adapter to create a stereo trs or go mono with the in ears.