Pro Tools Error #-9132 "Bounce Handler Cannot Keep Up&q

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

Recycled_Brains
resurrected

Pro Tools Error #-9132 "Bounce Handler Cannot Keep Up&q

Post by Recycled_Brains » Thu Sep 06, 2012 5:13 pm

Keep getting this error everytime I try to bounce something. Im on a G4 powerbook, PTLE 6.9. def lots of tracks, automation. Some plugins but not an inordinate amount by my standards.

I know the obvious call would be to combine tracks, and/or audio suite the plugs, but since that is really time-consuming I was wondering if there are any settings I could try adjusting, or any other ideas.

Thanks!
Ryan Slowey
Albany, NY

http://maggotbrainny.bandcamp.com

kslight
mixes from purgatory

Post by kslight » Thu Sep 06, 2012 5:33 pm

I'm assuming you went into your settings and maxed out your buffer settings, tried killing ALL other applications, etc...?

Instead of the bounce function you could just try recording your stereo bus to an audio track.

Nick Sevilla
on a wing and a prayer

Post by Nick Sevilla » Thu Sep 06, 2012 6:34 pm

Digidesign (Avid) recommends that you no use the bounce function. You're finding out the hard way why.

If you can, you should record onto a new Stereo audio track.

And as to having to bounce down stuff, well, it's part of the whole mixing in the box thing you sometimes have to do if your horse refuses to keep going...

Cheers
Howling at the neighbors. Hoping they have more mic cables.

Recycled_Brains
resurrected

Post by Recycled_Brains » Fri Sep 07, 2012 6:16 am

Nick Sevilla wrote:Digidesign (Avid) recommends that you no use the bounce function. You're finding out the hard way why.

If you can, you should record onto a new Stereo audio track.

And as to having to bounce down stuff, well, it's part of the whole mixing in the box thing you sometimes have to do if your horse refuses to keep going...

Cheers
I normally do record down to a stereo track, but I maxed out my tracks on at least 3 of the 6 songs I need to bounce. I was just hoping maybe something was whack with my preferences or something, but my work around was to just record the drums down to a stereo track, and reduce my track count... bouncing worked just fine after that. Just added time that I didn't really have, but no biggie. It's all worth it.

Does Avid get more specific about why they recommend recording to tracks rather than bouncing? I've seen a few debates on other forums... I honestly don't notice a difference sonically. (Like Dither. :wink: )

I just do it for workflow purposes.
Ryan Slowey
Albany, NY

Recycled_Brains
resurrected

Post by Recycled_Brains » Fri Sep 07, 2012 6:20 am

kslight wrote:I'm assuming you went into your settings and maxed out your buffer settings, tried killing ALL other applications, etc...?

Instead of the bounce function you could just try recording your stereo bus to an audio track.
Maxing out my buffer settings actually made it worse. At lower settings, I'd get through more of the song before it quit. Would almost instantaneously stop at higher settings.

I'm super ignorant about what those settings even mean, to be completely honest. I always just revert to the defaults, and only increase or decrease if an error pops up that recommends that I do so.
Ryan Slowey
Albany, NY

GlowSounds
alignin' 24-trk

Post by GlowSounds » Fri Sep 07, 2012 9:05 am

In regards to sonic differences- I've never noticed dither issues with bouncing. But have had spatial issues with reverbs and the overall stereo field being distorted during bouncing.

If you're totally maxed out on tracks, make some tracks inactive to free up your system, then print some stems. Then you can record your stems to a single track. .

Adam Chesi
studio intern

Post by Adam Chesi » Fri Sep 07, 2012 9:35 am

Recycled_Brains wrote:Does Avid get more specific about why they recommend recording to tracks rather than bouncing?
Recycled_Brains wrote:Maxing out my buffer settings actually made it worse. At lower settings, I'd get through more of the song before it quit. Would almost instantaneously stop at higher settings.
I used this method to get through bounces easier. If I had a session go through and I was going to a stereo track and it freaked out, okay, no big deal, back up fifteen seconds and record again. Comp them together and voila, mixed track, all done. I prefer to do it with a proper bounce, but it would often work well enough.

Of course, that was back on an ancient PowerMac G4 that was having issues with just about everything, so that was the only way to work sometimes.
~Adam Chesi
Sweetwater Sales Engineer
Adam_Chesi@sweetwater.com
(800) 222-4700 x1694